Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Im not going to build a list and everyone writing their own. But what I would like to gain from this is people giving their most effective unit(s) with what equipment, why they found effective about that unit, and what tactics they use with it.

I am very interested in hearing what you all have to say.

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Most who use death guard units like using the assault method with them. Usually give them melta-guns.

I personally like to over strengthen my squads (most don't like this), but the usual thing for the heretics to do is to put 7-10 death guard into rhinos with two meltas and get them down the field to unload them. It is essential to get Extra Armor on your rhinos though. Aspring Champions with a powerfist and maybe a combi are a need for the squad as well.

Supporting Units: Some units that usually go well with a "death guard" army are daemon princes, obliterators, and sometimes "termicide" terminators. If you are unfamiliar with termicide, its basically the cheapest way of sacrificing a unit to blow up a tank. Three terminators with combi-meltas. Daemon Princes work well with warptime, wings and MoN.

Good Luck Heretic

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Chaos spawn and regulars chaos lords(no wargear) are awesome, buy them by the truckload.

Also Tsons and slaaneshi marines rock face, being unable to be point efficient is perfect this edition.

Oh and guard your characters with possessed, they don't need a mark they rock!

/Sarcasm

Look at any of the hundreds upon hundreds of chaos threads, they're all the goddamn same for competitive. They all have the exact same advice and the same sound reasoning.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Termicide - cheap, can be effective, deep strike makes them interesting. If your deep strike isn't bad this destroys something.
Chosen - A little more expensive than Termicide but can have 2 melta, 2 flamer, making this unit very versatile. Good chance of coming in on the right side, usually forces your opponent to stay towards the center of the board.
Death Guard - 7x champ pf with 2 meltas, this unit is great for popping that armor yet they can hold and objective and much more. This unit is one of the most versatile troops I have found.
Daemon Prince - Warptime or Lash Prince either are fun. Warptime much better in assault though Lash can usually get the Prince into assault faster. Lash is a suttle way to bring down the opponents moral (I move your guy here).
Oblits - Again good versatile unit. Get them in cover and very hard to kill. Can also be used like Termicide though usually in this regard they are too expensive for the job. Great overall supporting unit.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Personally I'm fond of Noise Marines loaded down with Sonic Blasters. They're woefully underrated by a lot of Chaos Players just because they're not as resilinent as say Plague Marines. However they're far more versatile and have one of the best weapons in the game avaliable en masse. Add in a Lash Sorcerer to help you get the most shots and your set.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When discussing Nurgle Marines I run them with a 7 man squad to keep it fluff and I also run 2x plasma guns in a rhino. I also kit out the champion with a power fist and a combi-plasma.. This squad has multiple uses. Got a squad of terminators scaring your other tropp units? Move up and rapid fire 2 plasmas out of the top, or disembark and rapid fire 3 including the combi-plasma champ. I was playing a BA player and he was running Mephiston very aggressively right up into the middle of my army.. I disembarked and rapid fired 6 plasmas onto him leaving him with 1 wound.. My opponents face was priceless when he didn't get the invul saves. I don't like to assault with my PM's seeing as I also run 2 squads of bezerkers one with a PF and the other a plain champ that my GD comes out of. I also run a lash sorc in the plain zerk champion squad to add a presence of lash and if it is a mech army I am playing I use the sorc as a forceweapon'n asshole!

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chaos spawn and regulars chaos lords(no wargear) are awesome, buy them by the truckload.

Also Tsons and slaaneshi marines rock face, being unable to be point efficient is perfect this edition.

Oh and guard your characters with possessed, they don't need a mark they rock!

/Sarcasm

Look at any of the hundreds upon hundreds of chaos threads, they're all the goddamn same for competitive. They all have the exact same advice and the same sound reasoning.
I was more just looking for units in general that people have used not so much just nurgle... I just play nurgle and am looking to "Spice it up"

So squad numbers / weapon combos / tactics / what upgrades things like that are what I am looking for. Even certain combos that have been extremely effective.

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
for one, consider the Chaos Sorc. granted he doesn't get as many attacks as a Lord, and doesn't have the same capabilities as a DP, but he can join squads and hide in transports.

it doesn't sound like a great thing until you consider that the metagame of 40K changes (at least locally for me, and from what i've read on the net, if you put stock in that):

a year ago you wouldn't be caught dead with MEQS using MLs, but with 'mech lists being so common (and i'm not talking about only CSM here, but 40K armies in general) that a cheap, massed quantity weapon to take out armor is necessary.

the issue then arose that 'mech gives up too many kill points, so a slow reaction to the 'mech list has moved to where some players have begun using biker lists, hordes, or simply using armies that don't lend themselves to having much if any of transports ('Nids, Chaos Daemons). in this situation the frag abilities of the ML are extremely useful.

having said that, Chaos players will always maintain that DPs are the best HQ in the game. maybe. not really in my experience, at least. i've killed several DPs with a bolter equivalents (S4 AP5) before; it's easy. if that Lash Prince would have been a Lash Sorc., he could have hidden in squad and had ablative wounds to spread around.

tangent aside, Sorcs. is a way i'd go if your looking to change your HQ options. typically MoS for cheap and MoT for a better save though a MoT Sorc. can become expensive.

continuing on what i posted, i'm considering using Havocs (i'm just waiting for someone to say this idea is stupid) for the simple fact that they can produce one more shot than an Oblits unit for 25 less points if you take eight Havocs with only ML or AC.

but they can't move AND shoot. so? it's a support unit, it doesn't have to. do you really need to move when you use Oblits for their LCs?. and lets face it, about the most useful thing Oblits can do is deepstrike in; it's about the only way CSM can get Plasma Cannons or Multi Melta weaponry on the board. sounds awesome, but put experience over theory: sometimes you don't get your Reserve rolls when you need them and Reserves can be detrimental if your playing with a time limit, and unlike most armies, CSM have no way to add a +1 to Reserve rolls.

also, you can stick Havocs in terrain for a 4+ cover, which could be a lot patter than a 5++. and Oblits are still only T4, so they can be instant killed.

the last idea is flamer spam. the idea here is to take as many flamers in a squad as you can to inflict as many wounds without having to roll to hit. so what if you're firing against MEQs? the idea behind this is to cause so many wounds that statistically your opponent has to fail at some point.

if used with Chosen or Havocs you can get squads of either one for cheap (less than 200 pts. per squad if built right).

you asked for ideas, and here they are. if they work for your and suit your playing style more power to you. if you think they're crap, i'm okay with that as well. this is a game of army men, and meant to be fun.

and by no means am i proposing that what i've mentioned is better or superior to whatever anyone else says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.