Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am starting a death guard army I have been in much turmoil in desiding which HQ choice I should use in my 1500:headbutt:. I like Daemon Princes and they have been very good for me in the past. However, I like the look of sorcerers and have never tried them out properly.

So, in your opinion:

1) Is a Sorcerer worth it? (Does it make up its points cost? Does it do what you want it to achieve?)

2)If I do take a Sorcerer, how should I kit it out?(mark of nurgle is a definate)

3)Is a Sorcerer a total flop if the enemy remembers his psychic hood, runes of warding,etc.

·
Registered
594 Posts
1). Yes, it is worth it. Not as good as a DP, but unless you're determined to powergame your way to victory that shouldn't matter.

2). Nurgle's Rot is a good bet. If you get him into CC that can do some serious damage.
Doombolt is the poor man's shooty choice, but shouldn't be overlooked. S4, AP3, Assault 3 isn't bad.
Wind of Chaos is great against hordes, and has limited anti-mech ability. Another good option if you're not afraid to get in their face.
Warptime and Gift of Chaos are less good for a Nurgle sorc, but could be taken if you have a specific role in mind.
For the Power Armoured version, Meltabombs are a good choice for anti-mech. For Termie armour, grab a combi-melta.

3). Not much personal experience with anti-psyker stuff. There is no guarantee that they will work, so don't rule him out because of the possibility of Hoods/Runes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i like sorcerer's but no eternal warrior is a bitch for something so expensive. i used a slaanesh sorcerer with LoS on a mount of slaanesh that could move 6 inches lash and then assualt 12 inches force weapon. but in all honesty daemon prince does the same job but better and for cheaper. plus daemon prince is eternal warrior no one shot kills. so i guess just play with the idea of a sorcerer use him a couple games but ultimately daemon princes are better. hope your experiment goes well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For the price of wind of chaos, you can get doombolt + familiar + rot. Adds a little versatility.

Tank shock + landraider + rot. It's like a 17" weak pie plate lol

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
you always have Typhus. He's a sort of psyker but on steroids. Personally i only really like to have Tzeentch sorcerers(says the Tzeentch player) but a Rot of Nurgle Sorcerer with some normal marines in a Rhino might work.

However i feel Nurgle isn't suited as well for magic and if you want a HQ for a per Nurgle force either take a Lord, Daemon Prince with Warp Time or Typhus.

edited spelling for clarity....Oh the Humanity!
-DK

·
Registered
594 Posts
I 2nd Jaws on the Typhus bit. Im surprised i forgot him when talking about Nurgle magics.

He has Nurgles Rot and Wind of Chaos, and he automatically passes his psychic tests to use them so he's immune to Perils of the Warp.

An addition he has: Terminator Armour, FnP, a Deamon Weapon/Force Weapon combi-scythe (cuz i dont know what else to call it), and Blight Grenades.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I 2nd Jaws on the Typhus bit. Im surprised i forgot him when talking about Nurgle magics.

He has Nurgles Rot and Wind of Chaos, and he automatically passes his psychic tests to use them so he's immune to Perils of the Warp.

An addition he has: Terminator Armour, FnP, a Deamon Weapon/Force Weapon combi-scythe (cuz i dont know what else to call it), and Blight Grenades.
its called the "Man Reaper"

·
Registered
594 Posts
its called the "Man Reaper"
Well yes, i know that, but just saying "Manreaper" doesn't propperly describe WHAT it is. Thats like if i said "My Jack woke me up by licking my face today" when i really meant "My CAT woke me up...". Exact same meaning, VERY different implication. :p

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well yes, i know that, but just saying "Manreaper" doesn't propperly describe WHAT it is. Thats like if i said "My Jack woke me up by licking my face today" when i really meant "My CAT woke me up...". Exact same meaning, VERY different implication. :p
DAMMIT! i thought jack was a dog D: then i read on...

the manreaper is a Plaguebringer + Force weapon then :3

if he has a codex he should know what the plaguebringer is

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

yea but guess why Typhus sucks. He doesnt have eternal warrior. 225 points for an hq who gets one shot killed. that is so lame. if you are going to spend 225 you might aswell spend 50 points more for abbadon. he has eternal warrior and he is S8 attacks re roll wounds. he is awesome god if i only felt like taking raiders i would take him. but yea i would take daemon princes i hate not having eternal warrior.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i hate all this bashing about "winge winge but he doesn't have Eternal Wariror, boo hoo"
Boo friken whoo

So what. If you sendign him in to a marine unit with a Powefist then you are doing somethign wrong. He's in a unit and unless he get mass fired with lascannons he shouldn't instant die and is quite easy to stop power fists form hiting him....don't put him in bace contact with them.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
true i was thinking along the lines of artilary like vindicators and basalisks. i have killed so many enemy Hqs with vindicators because i use to take 3 with 2 lash princes i kill the squad and plus all it takes to wound is 2+ you are almost gaurantee to hit the whole squad and each member has to have atleast 1 shot on them. but yea im just a freak about eternal warrior

·
Registered
594 Posts
Typhus should ideally be in a Land Raider, meaning he'll never be at risk of artillery death unless his raider gets popped. Taking an HQ without EW is risky, but with proper tactical planning it shouldn't be an issue. I've never had an HQ insta-killed anyway.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i have i used to run typhus back in the day because he is really uber awesome played a DE player he killed my landraider first turn and killed typhus instant death along with his squad of MoN terminator champions with lightning claws damn. yea he has been killed by a powerfist before to that sucked got assualted while i was in combat. damn base to base. but yea i took him in a landraider. i actually dont mind spending the extra 50 points for abbadon he rapes. besides i would never use a squad that expensive ever again. most of the stuff in my list only cost 215.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts