Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new BA player here
I don't have that many units right now since they decide to charge a whole lot for plastic minatures but hey its a hobby right
So far I have bought a space marine battleforce, an assault squad box, a death company box, a sternguard box and a priest
So right now I can field something like this:

RAS(10)
melta
melta
power fist

TAC(10)
melta
lascannon
melta bombs

Rhino

Scouts(5)
sniper rifles
camo cloaks

Death Company(5)
power fist
power weps(2)

Sternguard (5)
5 combi melta

Priest (would go with stern)

It also comes with an additional 5 man Tac squad, which i would probably convert into a
RAS(5)
flamer
melta bombs

So that is what I can field with what I have currently
not great but hey I'm a nub
This would bring me to about 1035, my friends usually play about 1500

So what I was kinda thinking to fill out my list:

Priest+jp(to go with RAS)
Libby+jp(to go with RAS)
Drop pod (for Death Company)
locator beacon
Chaplain (for Death Company)
Razorback (for stern and priest)
Razorback(for 5 man RAS)
TLAC

Well, I would have no problem dropping scouts from the list because I would love to get the DC to 9 men

This just seems pretty lacking for a 1500 point army, as I said I havent bought anything in the second part yet so it is completely in the air, I was just trying to compliment what I had as best I could
The dc would drop pod in first turn ya know but I'm not sure if I like razorbacks, I know a lot of people play razor spam but that just seems lame to me, so easy to blow up.I love baal preds, sang guard, and VV. So if anyone has any advice feel free to leave a comment. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
hmm i dont like razor spam either i think its lame also. i would get more jump infanty and just jump pack and get stern guard in pod and death in jump packs or just add more death as an hq i suggest the grim i forgot his first name its starts with a A well thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mech heavy 'razorspam' is not lame, it's highly competitive - target saturation you see (at 2k I have 5 AV11 & 5 AV13 vehicles/walkers, it makes my opponent's live difficult).

The decision you have to make is, 'do I want to run mech/razors or not?' Once you know what you want to run a list will be easy to formulate & will most likely be more effective. I am personally not a big fan of mixing jump & mech, I run all jump or all mech but there are some people who make it work.

Run RAS or VV over DC, if you do run DC then don't bother giving them a Chaplain, too expensive for a throw away unit. Baals are good, but again you need to think about the army working as one & how things are going to support/compliment each other, you can't just select random units & hope they'll work together. Melta Sternguard are probably better going in the Pod & the DC in the Razorback, Tactical squad could do with a power fist, I'd need to see a definite list to tell you more.

Dallas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys
I wasn't trying to insult anyone I can see the value of razorspam, it's just not the way I see BA or what I'm about I guess
A big part of it is that I just don't like 5 man assault squads
I do wish i could figure out a nice list that would have some baal preds, a land raider, a few drop pods the rest jump
It will just take some serious tweaking to make it work
thanks again

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Force multiplication is what you need and you get that via Sang. Priests. What I done for mine is I bought a RAS box, put JP and PW on them and an Indiana Jones satchel looking thing on the leg of each of them and, viola. Cheap Sang. Priest ... naturally I painted them a little different color than the rest of the army, but you can check that out on my project log.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Keith thanks but I added a libby in the part of the list that I should buy next
I know about the force org chart
I hate it we have soooooooooooo many good elites

·
Registered
990 Posts
Drop pods, in my opinion, need to be used en masse & made fundametal to the army, i.e. taking just one or two is no real use. I find that Furiosos are nice but drop podding a few lone dreads rarely works out against a half decent opponent. Sang. Priests are good, but personally I think BA have too many good options in their fast attack slots.

How about?...

HQ
Astorath

Librarian
- Jump pack

ELITE
Sanguinary Priest
- Jump pack

Terminator Assault Squad
- 3 x Thunder Hammer & Storm Shields
- 2 x Dual Lightning Claws
- Land Raider of flavour (google for various arguments for & against each variant)

TROOP
10 RAS
- 2 Meltas
- Powerfist

10 RAS
- 2 Meltas
- Thunder hammer

10 Tactical
- Power weapon
- Melta bombs
- Flamer
- Missile Launcher
- Rhino

FAST
2 Attack bikes
- Multimeltas

Baal
- Heavy Bolters/Flamers

Baal
- Heavy Bolters/Flamers

Things can be swapped out, but essentially (if my mental arithmatic is still ok) this is about 1990-2000 points.

Dallas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the replies
Dallas, I like that list a lot, it has got me thinking a little bit
I know you advised against it, but I would really like to run DC and Sternguard, Sternguard is just so nice for taking down those high toughness/high wound targets
So with a big help from your list there I came up with this

But I'm sure it could still use some tweaking

HQ:
Astorath

Libby + JP

Troop1:
RAS(10)
2 meltas
Powerfist

Elite1A:
Priest +JP

Troop2:
RAS(10)
2 meltas
Powerfist

Elite1B:
Priest +JP

Troop3:
DC (5)
PF
PW

Elite2:
Chaplain

DT:
Razorback

Elite3:
Sternguard(6)
3 combimelta

DT: Razorback

FA1:
Attack Bike Squad (3)
3 multimelta

Elite1C
Priest +Bike

FA2:
Baal Pred
Heavy Bolters

FA3:
Baal Pred
Heavy Flamers

Now that comes out to 2000 even and seems pretty fun
But might want another troop choice to hold some shit down in that case I could take out:
Attack biker +MM
Priest +Bike
Chaplain
1 Sternguard combimelta

would add in
TAC (10)
PW
Meltabombs
Flamer
Missile Launcher

DT:
Rhino

Would be quite a few extra bodies in the version with the tac squad
Could hold down objectives better as well, The tac would probably compliment the sternguard a little better
But that first list I made I like a lot too
Could definitely change weapons loadouts on either list I guess for future tweaking
I hate to take a razorback without a TLAC, but heavy bolter is OK
What do you think?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I like Sternguard and I have a real soft spot for DC, thing is Pedro runs Sternguard waay better & DC are just slightly nerfed. I would personally love to run a 100% DC army but just little squads of them? I don't know...

Anyway, I don't think you need the 3 Priests, 2 will do if you're paying for Astorath. Bikes are T5 anyway & you should be getting their inv save most turns too. I also don't think the DC need a Chaplain, you're paying a lot for what is absolute overkill, I used to run a Reclusiarch when I used DC & I found that I just wiped out whatever I charged, then got shot to hell. But all that said, I quite like this list, just make do with the 2 RAS, it means you'll have to be very careful in objective missions but it can be done. One thing I would definitely do is drop one Sternguard to get them more combi meltas, I think 4 combi meltas & a few melta bombs would do nicely.

Dallas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts