1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
It was only a matter of who and when with tired old argument. I've got all of the CoD games, GTA etc etc and own firearms. Yet I've never felt the need to do this for real.
You've got to be wired up wrong to go and do something like that. Sure, if he's got jam for brains then Black Ops may not have helped, but surely there's already some issues beneath the surface?

·
Registered
307 Posts
According to a plumber who once visitted the home...

Extensive, well researched journalism right there. :boredom:

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
According to a plumber who once visitted the home...

Extensive, well researched journalism right there. :boredom:
Apparently the guy was walking around with "a machine-gun"..... :unsure:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Read a great article on LinkedIn about how switching off from all televised and social media for 24 hours is a good idea when things like this happen because immediatley outlets are desperate to get the exclusives and all sorts of misinformation and incorrect reporting gets thrown in the mix.

For example: The guys brother was initially named, his mom worked at the school, he was let in by teachers. All of this incorrect, but bandied about as being the truth, I even fell for the Morgan Freeman quote in another thread which was immediatley refuted.

Therefore when a flimsy article like the one in the link is produced I'll take it with a pinch of salt and wait for something substantial to be put forward, perhaps in a months time when all the facts are in and sifted through by the right people and not sensationalist journalists.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Someone just had to pull the old video games card out of his arse...

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Never mind the fact the guy's mom was a gun nut and took the kids to firing ranges non stop......

But hey some Texan Congressman suggested that if we just give teachers assault rifles this problem won't happen ever again........

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Violent videogames do not make non-violent people become violent. Just like watching an intricately detailed movie about rape or murder won't make somebody suddenly want to try it. You have to have a substantially weak psyche to be influenced in such a manner. Otherwise everyone watching the news reports would go do the same. The guy was messed up to begin with.

As for arming teachers, there are some serious cons to consider with the pros of it. What happens when the teacher is having a bad day, is forewarned they will be fired or is tired of dealing with that little asshole in the back? Assuming the weapons are kept secure; locked up, trigger locks and ammo stored and locked separately, how do you have the weapon ready for defense in time? A psycho won't care if there is a gun and you need to be ready to act quickly. Lastly, if the guns are not kept secure, what's to stop an abused or bullied student from gaining access?

It is a tragedy what happened. But making rash decisions will only make it worse. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
He probably read a book at some stage in his life; we should ban those evil, paper, devil contraptions.
As a person who reads Warhammer 40K books, I think I'm a danger to Earth by declaring it exterminatus.

Seriously, the media are absolutely fucking retarded.

Read a great article on LinkedIn about how switching off from all televised and social media for 24 hours is a good idea when things like this happen because immediatley outlets are desperate to get the exclusives and all sorts of misinformation and incorrect reporting gets thrown in the mix.
Would you mind posting a link?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Rabble rabble rabble! It's the vidya games, and the south park, and the MTV! The kid wasn't criminally insane all by himself, no sir-ee! No mental illness there. Nope. Couldn't be bad parenting, either. Mother likes guns and soap operas. Mother likes guns. Mother kept guns in house with mentally ill kid. That couldn't have contributed to things, either. Nope.

I hate people for this kind of crap. Video games don't make people kill people. Hell, guns don't kill people, to tout the NRA's line-- people kill people. Homicidal, fucked in the head people who have some wires crossed and end up doing stuff like this-- those are the people who kill people.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well I've been playing violent video games since MS-DOS 15 years ago. I probably spend about 10 hours a week killing stuff on my PC, be it RTS, RPG or shooters.

But here's the crazy thing - I also spend an equal amount of time reading books, having fun with my mates, going to social activities, and working.

Murders committed by me so far: 0

Now, if someone had been virtually killing things 40 hours a week for 15 years and doing nothing else, you may have some valid concerns about him. But the root problem would still be the person.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I actually find violent video games to be quite therapeutic. After a long frustrating day it's quite calming to put on my copy of Prototype, run up the tallest building in view and hurtle Alex Mercer at breakneck speeds into the unsuspecting pedestrians below watching as they rag-doll into the sky Team Rocket style. Take that arseholes!

I do find it ironic though that the people who typically decry 'violent video games' in the public forum are also the kind of people who have never played a video game in their life.

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
I don't get it. Some loony, a kid obviously who had problems (socially and suspected mental) goes and commits a brutal cruel act.

But rather than blaming our society's incapability with helping troubled youth/people, we go on and blame everything else, from the weapon to fucking video games. This goes to show that people are too god dam lazy and selfish to help our sick and socially awkward generation and thus blame it on scapegoat items and hobbies instead.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That's what you WANT us to think...
Sorry, I should amend that.

Murders which I have been publicly connected to: 0

:eek:k:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Short answer: Screw those people. The amount of easily remedied ignorance is staggering.

Also, video games are the work of the Devil.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts