Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd show off some of my conversion work. Right now it's all blood angels/space marines, but as soon as I can borrow a camera again, I'll post osme of my tau and CoD stuff.

Too bad I don't have the time or skills to actually paint any of it.

Here's some shots of my chaplain. The first is before I turned his back banner into a bannerpole

I need to build a bigger base to slot his base into. I want to kepe that base because it's got a clicky counter on the bottom, rotate it to count down his wounds. It;s pretty slock. But I figure a 40mm or bigger 'display base' with a hole cut for that would be cool, and give me a better place to plant his banner. (not to mention a bigger base is better in CC)

He's equipped with dual LCs, but I liked his bionic arm and homemade CA too much, so I modeled his other claw stuck into a piece of tank armor, like it got ripped off in the heat of battle and he grabbed his trusty CA to rally the troops. The mini is a Legion of the Damned sarge. The CA is made from a skaven drumstick head, an old plastic stikbomb and a coupel of bannerpole toppers. The LCs are powerfists with knife blades. The JP is an old raptor pack with a cut up JP thruster on it. Hosework, BA seal and horns are hand done GS (my first attempt at sculpting)

He's my favorite...and I know he costs a freaking fortune to field, but he's worth it.

Here's my libby and familiar.

Libby made from spare commander bits, a khorneite 'vampire' head (Hey, he's BA) and company champion bits. I;ve since improved the model with a plasticard and GS book on his chestplate and some guitar wire running from the hood down over the front of the armor and behind, as well as some guitar string leading from the sword hilt, twisting around his arm and vanishing under his cloak. Updated pictures will come when I can get a camera in my hands.

The familiar has been demoted to a Grail Bearer for my chappy since I refocused my librarian to be more squad disruption than melee tank. I'll replace the back banner with a grail and either base him on the extended base for my chaplain or just have him trail after the DC. Note the inquisitorial shoulder pad, the little bugger's on loan from a friendly inquisitor ;-)

My as yet, unfielded SHP

A couple of my deathco. Khoneite chainweapons are too cool to pass up.

plas-pistol marine in mid lunge

Assault sarge. His skull faceplate was cut form an old heroquest skull, but I think it might sit a little too low.

Some scoutds I whipped up from spare SM torsos and a bunch fo catachan parts. Cadian arms though. eventually I ran out of usable cadian arms so I ordered some genuine scout arms to finish the squad. Now that I have a good source for discount GW stuff, any future scouts will be bring and out of the box because, well, it;s so much easier.

This guy, however, was made out of some spare sniper scout parts (I already had plenty of pewter snipers, but my megaforce came with plastic ones too). I hollowed out a SM helm and cut the face off and stuck it to a catachan 'duke nukem' head. The powerfist is left over from my very first set of plastic marines (RT era). Bionic arm frm the SM commander that came with my megaforce. The sarge doesn;t actually have bionics, but it looks cool.

Lascannon 'sniper' I've since dropped the bipod.
I made a scratch built lascannoner out of a cut down IG lascannon. Pics fourthcoming, ocne I get a cam.

A blast(template) from the past. RT era marine with 2nd ed plascannon and a rigged up trigger made from a 4th ed marine fist and some guitar string.

Sometime I'll have to post pics of my dev squad. A missile launcher from every edition boxed set.

Speaking of hot, plasmaey death, that's exactly what this poor SOB fears. I brazenly stole his pose from another poster on B&C (but he admits to stealing it from someone else, so I call it fair game) bannerpole arm and missile launcher arm. If I hadn;t lost my tiny d6 I;d have one on a thin piece of ire on his base, like it;s in mid-toss and he;s waiting on the result.

My "Sprue Armor" extra armored Baal predator

Simple, effective and free. Just very time consuming...and getting the angles right can be a royal pain

My homemade "Scorfa Pattern" (razorback style) Baal turret

Could also double as a representation of PotMS, since it gives the tank a very unmanned, automated look

My scratch-built vindicator

Gun/front armor made from the bulkhead out of a land speeder. I cut a replacement bulkhead out of plasticard and carefully sliced the seat backs and piping off the original and glued them on, then stuck the tornado stowage pieces in to cover thefact it;s hollow under the side hatches, so I was still able to build a perfectly finr tornado.

As you can see, I didn;t have the patience to do the sprue armor justice. It looks a fair bit rougher/sloppier than the armor on the preds. It takes a fair amount of patience and I'd used most of it on the initial conversion. Oh, dozer made from rhino hatches.

Brother Claymorous, my Furioso. I used an old fantasy elf shield and a spare defiler faceplate to make a more itneresting sarcofagus..but when I realised a) the inside was so hollow and b) you could see through the eye holes, somethicn just clcked and I ran to radio shack and got a bi-color LED and rigged it up. Flip the batteries one way and it;s red, flip it the other and it;s green. Good for doubling him for Moriar.

His cousin Brother Obliterus. He's a 'warhammer pattern' dreadnought. The idea I got from another poster who did a similar thing on B&C. I used the legs off an old robotech/exo-squad toy (to add authenticity) upper arms off an old gundam mocel (It was just a GM!), lascannons are sponsons. The missile launcher is a flipped over and cut-down drednought missile laucnher, of course. Cut way down in length.
Same sarcophagus and lights as Claymorous, except he;s got sa phoenix on his shield. Seemed appropriate.

And Versitus...

Is what happens when I get my hands on magnets...and then promptly run out of shields and defiler faceplates. So, I figured, "Hell, this guy's a blood angel, so I say screw the sarcofagus! This old dude wants the wind in his face and the blood in his eyes. I need to get him a furioso arm because he seems mighty furious. Same idea would work nice for chaos dreads too.

I made him venerable my stickign every purity seal I had in my bitz box on him ;-) When he ever gets painted, I plabn to show a silver patch through his flesh, to show he;s got an adamantium skull (and therefore is protected from fire just as well)

Well, that's all I got pics of so far, but more to come. And maybe someday I'll get them painted...

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
torealis said:
take better photos! you hurt my eyes!
Wow, yeah...that was super helpful.
You know, some people would give advice on how to take better photos, post a link to a tutorial somewhere, or just make comment on the models rather than the borrowed camera work.

But not you, my friend. You brook the trends and set off on your own path. Why take twenty seconds to post something constructive when you can post something that's both absolutely useless and, at the same time, mean-spirited in ten seconds.

I salute you...just not with all of my fingers.

Moving right along, thank you Jez. Unfortunately, my talent begins and ends with glue and a knife. My brother's volunteered to do the painting, and I;ve gone so far as to buy paints, but we both work full time, game part time, and try to have lives in the mean time, so painting my blood angels army is nestled between painting his chaos army and painting my tau army on his 'to do if I ever get the time' list.

I've been toying with the idea of finding someone in the area who'll paint for cash or trade, but I'd rather have i doen by smeone I rust and someone who knows exactly what needs to be what. Plus if I run off and get some stranger to paint my stuff it'd probably hurt his feelings, and I;d hate for that to happen.

So I wait patiently and play with my gray plastic angels until such time as he can get to them or I can get up the nerve to try it myself.

I just put so much work into the conversions, I'm afraid to paint them for fear of ruining a good model with a crappy paintjob

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Good luck Jezlad!
If you're planning to do the armor like I did, I suggest using a protractor and a ruler to get your angles and lengths exact and identical (esecially for tricky things like the turret armor and the armor going up the sides of the insets). I freehanded/eyeballed all of mine. It turned out ok the first time (though I had to GS a few gaps), but not as well the second time.

Expect to be covered in a fine dusting of plastic filings or shavings. I used clippers to get the initial angle, then filed to smooth it out and get pieces laid side by side to match up better.

Like I said, it's a bit time consuming but, hey, what else are you gonna do with all that sprue? And every time you set it on the table, someone will smack their forehead and say "Why the hell didn't I think of that?!"

Oh, make sure the sprue youre using is all the right size. The outer frame is bigger than the inner bits. I used smaller sprue to do the back tred guards since they fit better inside that inset bit

Oh...and make sure to test fit with the turret on before you glue ;-) My regular baal turret tends to ride up a little on those big rails on top of the track guards. It;s nice and smooth, but it could cause problems for other turrets. Similarly, I had to shave out a notch in one of the side rails on my vindicator to get the commander hatch to go in at all.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Whoa brain overload you should have split this into multiple threads imo, to much delectables to take in in one reply.

Great conversion work. I may just nab that SM Plasma Gunner fearing an overheat, I love it! And that massive banner pole looks excellent.

The Catachan heads used on the Scouts I'm not 100% sure about. I look at them and think armoured Catachans, but then I have a Catachan army so see these heads loads...

·
Registered
34 Posts
i likew it though i couldnt quite make out the chaplain
i love "hurl verbal abuse" Dreadnought were did you get the magnets?? on the web or somewhere else??

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I was just off to work. But OK, mock away...

The models are awesome, i really should have said that first.

As for photography, i get decent (not perfect) shots by setting up a white area that is incredibly well lit (got 4 lamps on it) and then put my camera on maximum zoom taking the pictures from about 4 feet away.

I'm sorry for the succinct reply earlier, but do remember... sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FrozenOrb
Catachan heads are always preferable to the normal scout heads, in my eyes (gotta be one of the ugliest sculpts, your basic scout). Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of options. Still, I think they ended up passable. Besides, Catachans are so badass that if my scouts look like armored catachans I'll take it s a complement ;-)

On a semi-related note, I'm considering using modified Catachans to take the place of Kroot in my tau army. They'll be 'counts as' Kroot, but fluffwise they'll be catachans left behind by the damoclese crusade who joined the greater good. Favored by commanders who dislike the cannibalistic kroot, they were given more advanced weapons than normal human auxilury troops (Explaining the kroot gun and extra Strength) Hounds would be represented by berserkers with two melee weapons, and Krootox would be ogryns.

I just dislike the look of Kroot is all...

Moving on, thanks slaanesh's tears. The magnets can be found at a number of places. I got mine at http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ They're pretty strong and relatively cheap. I'll add them to the shopping thread, in a minute.

torealis, I'm sorry I unloaded on you, but I'm sure you see how your post must've come off. I saw it as trolling and responded in kind. Next time, if you don;t have the time to post something constructive, it might be best to just wait and post when you have time. It'll certainly help you avoid misunderstandings like this.

That aside, thank you for the tips. Hopefully I'll be able to take some pics tomorow, and I'll do as you suggest, hopefully they'll turn out better. Thank you for the advice.

No hard feelings?

Oh, and thanks Horus. I was going more for 'armored cherub' but he does look adorably midgety ;-)

·
Registered
72 Posts
these look all very great, i love all the SM conversions, i find a particular liking to the plasma gun "fear of overheating" one, mind if i try it?

also

"Now that I have a good source for discount GW stuff"

what is this discount you speak of? If you don't mind me asking.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That'd be my favorite ebay seller Bruces_collectables I linked him in my shopping thread on the trading forum.

And yes, feel free to rip off anything you like. As I said, I ripped the plasma gunner off a guy who ripped it off of someon else ;-)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
sweet conversions dude ecspecially the space marine shooting a plasma gun and covering his face.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Awesome Conversions. Those will be fun to see painted. Looks like I'm not the only person to entertain teh notion of led lights and what not. Cool.

As far as the pictures go you need to get a small light blue backdrop (it is a neutral color that doesn't absorb or reflect to much light. Then get two or three bright desk lamps with bendable necks. Point them at the miniature and take a close pic. Put the pic into adobe Photoshop and adjust the auto levels. It's pretty easy. If you want a better turtorial just let me know I'll send you one.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New pics!
I tried a lot of light, byt somewhere between taking them and saving them, his camera auto-darkened the crap out of them, so I had to go into windows picture manager and tweak them.

A better pic of the Chaplain

A pic of my finished (sans paint) librarian

I should have got a shot from the other saide so you can see the unfurled scroll on the inside of his shield.

And now some Tau goodness...

Pimped out <gasp> plane-shaped piranha

Some home-made shield drones (drone top, shield generator, cut down pulse rifles for antennae)

My stealth team leader (found a use for the 'mystery bit' that comes in each stealth box, made em some wings!)

Wish I could have gotten a side shot of his gun arm to show the markerlight I made.
The gun is magnetic, though I never use fusion...

My Deathrain leader Jon'Wu

And my Broadside team leader. I decided I;d go for something a bit forgeworld flavored. Note the cut up burst cannons on the lower legs. It represents the Advanced Stabilization System. FW shoulderpads made great knee guards too.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Oh my gosh...........I`m still wondering what to say, that Piranha first off is awesome, and the Broadside is wow, and the stealth suit, I hate stealth suits but that one is awesome, and that Librarian is just.......................WOWZER.

Your good at this lol

1 - 20 of 107 Posts