Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I have decided to start a new army in the new year (I have played Tau for several years but the new codex is just silly so I'm a little bored of them) and have gone for space wolves. I've always loved their style and rules so I feel now is a good time to get it together. As I said I have played Tau for ages and have no space marine experience other than playing against them and have never actually even played against a space wolves army so if this is way off the mark please let me know.

My local gaming group is a mix of powergaming tournament goers and slightly more casual but still formidable players, between them they have practically every kind of army imaginable, so I want an all comers army that can stand up to tourney style lists but doesn't min/max or generally take the piss.

So here goes...

HQ:
Rune priest, JotWW, living lightning 1xxpts

Elites:
Wolf Guard terminators, combi-melta x2, combi-plasma 114pts

Lone Wolf terminator, chain fist 60pts

Troops:
Grey Hunters x8, flamer, Rhino 155pts

Grey Hunters x8, Melta, standard, drop pod 170pts

Grey Hunters x7, Melta, drop pod 145pts

Grey Hunters x10, Plasma x2, standard, drop pod 205pts

Fast Attack:
TWC, Storm Shield 180pts

Originally I had 2 rune priests and longfangs with an aegis. I personally don't like the aegis as it forces you to play a certain way so I decided to scrap that and go for allies to take care of my flier/vehicle killing needs which lead me to...

IG Allies:

HQ:
Primaris Psyker 7xpts

Troops:
Vet Squad 70pts

Fast Attack:
Vendetta 130pts

So with these additions i was feeling good but then I worried about people podding me in the same way I plan to which lead me to...

Inquisitorial Attachment:
Coteaz 1xxpts

Tactics:
Drop pod meltas do what they do, the wolf guard will hopefully add a bit of endurance to them. The plasma squad will generally be the ones not invited to the drop pod party, and the primaris and rune priest will run together in the rhino with the 8 man flamer squad. Primaris will take assail+whatever else he rolls which will hopefully give me the best chance at Jaws swallowing up even I4+ targets fairly easily.

The vendetta will do anti-air and rapid response tank/monster killing while taxiing the vets about until endgame where it will dump them onto an objective. The TWC will hopefully be able to take advantage of the drop pod distraction in order to get close and cause unpleasantness.

Coteaz will be rolling on divination for prescience+whatever else he can get and stick with the plasmas for the most part, if an enemy drop pod assault is on the horizon I will take advantage of his expecting ways to rinse them out with plasma or at the very least force them to land in a less useful position.

So that's the general gist, all comments and criticism welcome as I want to learn. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
HQ:
Overall a good choice, not much to really say about him

Elites:
Wolf Guard terminators, combi-melta x2, combi-plasma 114pts
Again good choices, though personally I'd recommend saving the points with the combi weapons and possibly consider a frost weapon or two (like one of them wield a power sword and frost axe.)

Lone Wolf terminator, chain fist 60pts
Not a fan of lone wolves at all, yeah he's win-win for but thats still a chunk of points that you could spend elsewhere.

Troops:

Overall, I think the lone rhino is going to be easily wasted points for you, being the only piece of armour starting on the board it will struggle to not be blown up right away.

Assuming your wolf guard are going to lead the drop pod packs, you don't have enough room to fit the plasma hunters and the pack leader in the pod. Beyond that, I'd drop the lone wolf to put power weapons on the drop pod packs.

Also I don't believe the primaris psyker can hitch a ride with the flamer grey hunters.

Fast Attack:
TWC, Storm Shield 180pts
I don't thunderwolf cavalry, so I'll opt to not comment on them.

HQ:
Primaris Psyker 7xpts
As I mentioned before, I don't believe he can ride with the grey hunters. Assuming that limits his usefulness, consider a lord commissar or company command squad instead.

Troops:
Vet Squad 70pts
I realize your just filling in allied troop requirement but this is a complete waste. If you can get them a lascannon or some plasmaguns then they could be a decent unit.

Fast Attack:
Vendetta 130pts
An excellent choice for anti flyer duty, what with all those lascannons.

Coteaz 1xxpts
Assuming he works exactly the same as in the Grey Knight codex, not much to say here.

Reactions: Lexmaus

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Darkreever, it is much appreciated. I have changed a couple things based on your comments, main ones being that I dropped the lone wolf entirely and dropped the combi plasma on the termies in order to get a chimera and a pair of flamers for the vets.

The reason being that if the primaris can't ride with the rune priest (I personally don't agree with this but I am aware it is a common enough interpretation that it's better to be safe than sorry) then he can jump in the chimera (with or without the vets depending on the situation) and perform the same roll as he would anyway and merely jump out and join the rune priest when he disembarks.

Here's the updated list (with a couple clarifications about my intentions)...

HQ:

Elites:
Wolf Guard terminators, combi-melta x2 114pts
(These gys are going to pack leader the three drop pod grey hunter squads, I'm aware the plasma doesn't have room for a termi in the pod but they will generally not be podding in anyway. With regards to frost weapons I just don't rate the bonuses worth the cost, a free power weapon is plenty for taking on all but the most elite of enemies, which, even with a frost weapon would probably be unwise.)
Troops:

Fast Attack:
TWC, Storm Shield 180pts

IG Allies:

HQ:
Primaris Psyker 7xpts

Troops:
Vet Squad, flamers x2, Chimera 135pts
(These will still be riding in the vendetta as I think late game objective grabbers will still be their primary function, the flamers will enable them to do more damage if they need to shift something weak off an objective and isn't hindered by their ruinous BS. They can of course ride in the chimera with the primaris but I don't think I will have any reason to go down that route unless I am facing something likely to down my vendetta easily.)

Fast Attack:
Vendetta 130pts

Coteaz 1xxpts

Total: 1499pts

Well that's the current list, again any criticism is very much welcomed as I want to refine this list before breaking out my wallet.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
(I personally don't agree with this but I am aware it is a common enough interpretation that it's better to be safe than sorry)
Its not an interpretation, the rulebook is very clear:

Rulebook, page 112, final bullet under battle brothers - "note that even battle brothers cannot embark on allied transport vehicles."

The primaris can join any Space Wolf pack, but he can't ride in a rhino with them. So taking the chimera is the only way for him to get around.

With regards to frost weapons I just don't rate the bonuses worth the cost, a free power weapon is plenty for taking on all but the most elite of enemies, which, even with a frost weapon would probably be unwise.
First I was going to respond with replacing the storm bolter with the frost weapon, but then I realized they don't have the option to do it that way. Overall though, a frost axe is a rather good buy considering it increases the wolf guards strength half over and lets him punch through terminator armour (though seeing as you can't get a bonus attack a powerfist might be just as goood a buy.)

I still wouldn't bother with the standard, especially if they are not always going in the pod; hell maybe use those points and give your thunderwolves a power weapon.

Troops:
Vet Squad, flamers x2, Chimera 135pts
(These will still be riding in the vendetta as I think late game objective grabbers will still be their primary function, the flamers will enable them to do more damage if they need to shift something weak off an objective and isn't hindered by their ruinous BS. They can of course ride in the chimera with the primaris but I don't think I will have any reason to go down that route unless I am facing something likely to down my vendetta easily.)
Uh..yeah you are aware that Imperial Guard veterans have the same BS as space marines right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not an interpretation, the rulebook is very clear
Arguing over this point is redundant as I've already changed this to comply regardless. Until an FAQ tells me otherwise I'll likely never be convinced.

First I was going to respond with replacing the storm bolter with the frost weapon, but then I realized they don't have the option to do it that way. Overall though, a frost axe is a rather good buy considering it increases the wolf guards strength half over and lets him punch through terminator armour (though seeing as you can't get a bonus attack a powerfist might be just as goood a buy.)
I had originally armed one with a fist but dropped it to squeeze something in, I am unsure where I'd get the points but it might be worth shuffling some stuff around.

I still wouldn't bother with the standard, especially if they are not always going in the pod; hell maybe use those points and give your thunderwolves a power weapon.
Very true, I'll likely scrap that then.

Uh..yeah you are aware that Imperial Guard veterans have the same BS as space marines right?
My IG player friend keeps telling me this but my brain refuses to let it sink in and just replaces it with IG=BS3 (once I've played them a couple times I'm sure I'll remember), I'm still sticking to the flamers though as I plan on keeping them in the vendetta as long as possible so plasmaguns will likely not bring much return on the points invested.

With those changes I will hopefully be set. I'm off to shuffle stuff around to squeeze a few points free, thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Arguing over this point is redundant as I've already changed this to comply regardless. Until an FAQ tells me otherwise I'll likely never be convinced.
Its in the rulebook, clear as day. If you don't believe what my previous post said then go to that page in the book and see for yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts