Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little new to Black Library fiction so forgive me if this sounds a little strange. It seems that the fight scenes in Space Marine novels and short stories lavish lots of detail and attention on the Marines in close combat while the most you'll usually hear about Marines wielding bolters is "Squad A fired their bolters". You see, the humble bolter is actually my favorite weapon in 40k and it doesn't seem to get much time to shine. I know there are plenty of main characters who duel wield a bolt pistol and a melee weapon but that's not what I'm looking for, I'm talking about a regular two-handed bolter. Can any of you recommend me some fiction with a main character or at least secondary character who uses a bolter as their main weapon? Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Huh I never noticed that before. I can't actually think of a main character who uses a Bolter as the main weapon.

My favourite weapon is underused as well. The Lightning Claws.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Huh I never noticed that before. I can't actually think of a main character who uses a Bolter as the main weapon.

My favourite weapon is underused as well. The Lightning Claws.
Uriel Ventris? Other than when the zealously adhered too and constantly ignored Codex Astartes dictates the use of Flamer, Melta or Plasma units, or armaments for close quaters, the somewhat immortal Ultramarine Captain of the 4th always uses his bolter.

What of Loken, Tarvitz?

As for the latter, dosen`t one of Vandred`s Terminators and/or Uzas use Lightening Claws?:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Uriel Ventris? Other than when the zealously adhered too and constantly ignored Codex Astartes dictates the use of Flamer, Melta or Plasma units, or armaments for close quaters, the somewhat immortal Ultramarine Captain of the 4th always uses his bolter.

What of Loken, Tarvitz?

As for the latter, dosen`t one of Vandred`s Terminators and/or Uzas use Lightening Claws?:biggrin:
Ventris mostly uses the Power Sword of Idaeus in combat, he only uses a Bolter for the short ranged fights he gets into.

Loken did but he mostly used a Chainsword as did Tarvitz.

Vraal used them, and Malcharion blew him into shreds :biggrin:, and if only Uzas did. Then i'd like him even more, but no he uses a Chainsword.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
No, haven't read of any Marines with Boltguns... I still want to see my favorite gun in a book: The Fleshborer.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
No, haven't read of any Marines with Boltguns... I still want to see my favorite gun in a book: The Fleshborer.
Actually that appears in Dark Disciple. A rather colourful moment where a Word Bearer is killed by a Fleshborer.

'He saw one of the 13th cotorie fall to the ground, screaming in agony as a mass of writhing flesh-worms burrowed through his helmet, clogging his respirator and boring through the lenses covering his eyes, gnawing their way through his skull and into his brain.'

It was very cool to read, would like to see more Tyranid guns in the novels. More Necron and Dark Eldar guns as well.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Ventris mostly uses the Power Sword of Idaeus in combat, he only uses a Bolter for the short ranged fights he gets into.

Loken did but he mostly used a Chainsword as did Tarvitz.

Vraal used them, and Malcharion blew him into shreds :biggrin:, and if only Uzas did. Then i'd like him even more, but no he uses a Chainsword.
Lightening Claws would suit Uzas. A babbling Khornate Night Lord who desires to shed as much blood, take as many skulls and reap as many souls as possible. Though the ''babbling Khornate'' part will perhaps hinder any chances he has of a promotion, and thus a archaic set of these bloody weapons.:biggrin:.

As for the question as a whole, then I think Astartes tend to use bolters mainly in ranged, or defensive situations. A hulking collossus of several inches of ceramite and a few hundred pounds of genhanced muscle is far much lethal in closed-quaters; short of perhaps Orkish foes.:)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
In wolfblade they actually describe gunfights the wolves get into in fairly grand detail.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think its because in the first lot of HH books the bolter seems like a planet killer! if memory serves(dont hold your breath) the bolter was used all the time apart from in CC.

I would like to see the lash of submission put into a book....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The main character of Lord of the Night has a Bolter, but usually stories revolve around characters who wouldn't usually carry a bolter.
True, but upon the subject of the Night Lords, I distinctly remember Talos using the Power-Sword he aquired from a Blood Angel (On Terra?) over his bolter in Soul Hunter, though mostly down to a Boltgun`s inefficiency in close-quater ship-fighting and against a Warhound-class Titan.:)

But again, I stand by how the Bolter is used mostly during defensive situations or against foe`s in which other weapons are inferior in impact. One example that comes to mind is Salamander: The Salamanders use their bolters in varying ways against approaching Ork hordes, from longer distances and single-shots, to burst fire and full-automatic spraying and emptying entire magazines in a single exchange.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well generally speaking, all marines in a Tactical squad would be armed with Bolters, aside from the special weapons Marines (who would have Melta Guns, Heavy Bolters, Rocket Launchers, etc), and the Sgt/Captain, who would wield Bolt Pistols + Melee weapon (Chainsword, Powerfist, Power Sword).

Since most of the 'hero' Characters in the BL fiction seem to be Captains, Sergeants, Librarians, Chaplains or Terminators, you aren't apt to see a great many Bolters.

But hey, we are talking about fiction where the Hero gets to use their Bolt Pistol, on full automatic, to dispense squads of Orks without having to reload. :shok:

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
in the space wolf novels wolf blade and the next one in the series, Torin ( i think thats his name) uses a bolter and a heavy bolter, and ragnar uses his bolter quite often in the books

·
Registered
78 Posts
BL authors do demand a pretty heavy dose of "willing suspension of disbelief" of their readers. With all the whiz bang technology of warfare available, nearly every action scene ends up in hand-to-hand combat, with hero and villains alike using essentially medieval weapons (sword, knife, spear, mace, etc), but weapons brought up to (40K) date. What are we missing besides rocket powered bows and arrows?

Don't get me wrong, I'm as addicted to BL/40K,this is just an ironic observation. Reading about an Astartes using his power sword while his bolter is holstered recalls the line, "he's so dumb he brought a knife to a gunfight."

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
BL authors do demand a pretty heavy dose of "willing suspension of disbelief" of their readers. With all the whiz bang technology of warfare available, nearly every action scene ends up in hand-to-hand combat, with hero and villains alike using essentially medieval weapons (sword, knife, spear, mace, etc), but weapons brought up to (40K) date. What are we missing besides rocket powered bows and arrows?

Horus Rising
. Near the latter stages of the novel, the Interex use some form of mechanical bows to fire ceramite-piercing lasers, mocked by Abaddon at first, but pretty bloody effective near the end:biggrin:

But that is what I love about the 40k Universe. It is brimmed with a range of advanced and archaic weapons, all with bemusing twists only a fictional theatre could acomplish. The Imperium with their varying cultures and Millitary sub-sectors: simple, yet effective technology such as the Astartes Bolter, Arbites Shotgun and the Guardsmen Lasgun, to much exotic and covert digital tools used by the Assassin Temples and Inquisition. The Eldar with more Warp-borne and lacerating weapons/projectiles; the Necrons with their pure, atom-flaying gauss ''guns'', the Tau with their more ''Star Wars''-esque approach to war, and Ork`s (as much as I loathe them) with their tons of over-engineered, excessive crap. The diversity makes it interesting:)

But yes, I believe Spikey summed it up by saying how novels tend to focus more heavily upon more unorthodox characters. Uriel Ventris with his Power-Sword, Pasanius with his heavy-flamer, and so forth...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
In Salamander, the Bolter is used often along with the Flamer/Plasma/Melta. Lord of the Night: Doesn't Captain Luko in the Soul Drinker series use Lightning Claws? It isn't as used as it could be, but I don't mind if I am honest, nothing beats a meat clogged Chainsword:wink:

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's about action and drama, Close combat is easier to make all dramatic with lots of description... I'd like to see a good gunfight scene.

That said my BL reading is fairly thin so it may well be out there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lightening Claws would suit Uzas. A babbling Khornate Night Lord who desires to shed as much blood, take as many skulls and reap as many souls as possible. Though the ''babbling Khornate'' part will perhaps hinder any chances he has of a promotion, and thus a archaic set of these bloody weapons.:biggrin:.

As for the question as a whole, then I think Astartes tend to use bolters mainly in ranged, or defensive situations. A hulking collossus of several inches of ceramite and a few hundred pounds of genhanced muscle is far much lethal in closed-quaters; short of perhaps Orkish foes.:)
I know Space Marines are amazing in close combat and the whole setting is insane anyway but...It's the future! They should fight like it! :p

Thank you everyone for the replies. I might have to check out the novels for the Ultra Marines, Space Wolfs and Salamanders now. Mcmuffin mentioned the novel Wolf Blade for the SWs and the Salamanders only have one novel so far, but other than those two does anyone recommend specific novels?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts