Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it disgusting and disheartening that a drug charge or a murder charge can get a person up to life in prison but Rape and sexual assault charges bring notoriously low prison times if the perpetrator(s) serve any time at all.

Source

Quote:
Two men have been jailed for raping a teenage boy in the toilets of a Debenhams store.

Abdelkader El Janabi, 55, and Alex Wilson-Fletcher, 42, abducted their 14-year-old victim in Manchester's Arndale Centre on a busy Saturday afternoon last summer.

They marched him to the toilets of a nearby Debenhams where they carried out a "sustained attack" on him.

Wilson-Fletcher, of Oldham Street, Manchester, and El Janabi, of Artillery Court, Ardwick, Manchester, were convicted by a jury of two counts of rape and two counts of sexual assault following a nine-day trial in April.

El Janabi, a former intelligence officer in Saddam Hussein's Iraqi regime, was jailed for 15 years.

Wilson-Fletcher, a law firm worker, received the same sentence.

The pair were tracked down after images from CCTV were circulated around the UK by police.

Sentencing them at Manchester Crown Court, Judge Michael Leeming QC said: "In all probability, what you did to him in his formative years will stay with him.

"Neither of you thought of that at the time. You were more concerned with your own sexual gratification."

The judge heard the boy was heading home by himself in Manchester city centre on June 2 last year, when he decided to use the toilets in the Arndale Centre, despite being wary of public conveniences.

This is where El Janabi grabbed him by the arm and led him away with Wilson-Fletcher following.

The court heard the boy was told: "Come with us. Do what we say. If you try to run we'll get you."

The judge said: "(The victim) did not want to accompany either of you but he felt he had no choice."

He said El Janabi knew the Debenhams toilets well and had been caught loitering there in the past by shop staff who had ejected him from the store.

El Janabi was the one who physically raped the teenager, the court was told, but Wilson-Fletcher was convicted of taking part in a joint enterprise.

Judge Leeming told Wilson-Fletcher he was "at least a look-out" and encouraged the other defendant.

He said he did not see any distinction between the two men in terms of setting an appropriate prison term.

The court heard the boy was terrified that the pair would follow him once he broke free from them and he walked six and a half miles to a friend's house because he was too scared to get on a bus.

The judge also said he had read an impact statement from the young victim which described how he took an overdose of pills and alcohol a few months after the attack which was a "cry for help".

He said the teenager, who is now 15, suffers from depression and panic attacks and has difficulty sleeping.

Neither of the defendants have any previous convictions and the judge described them as being, otherwise, "mature, intelligent men".

He said El Janabi had previously fled from Iraq but was now a British citizen. He said he fought in the Iraqi army in both the Iran-Iraq War and the first Gulf War.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Some people should just die to make the world a better place. Come on, you know I'm right. These two deserve a lot more than they got.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
the two that murdered Jamie Boulger were kids themselves but after their sentances they were given new IDS and places to live, yet one is back inside confident that no one will know who he is.

i know its to protect them from reprisals, but they murdered a little boy, and one still fiddles with kiddies, in my opinion he should have lost his right to anominity the moment he was put back in prison...

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
I find it appropriate that your username is "WaLkAwaY" in light of this article.

That being said, I hope that there is a hell just for these two so that they can rot - I'm doubtful though. Because of that, they should really be jailed for much longer than this: Let's make this fair. The kid will suffer his whole life (statistically ~80 years, he's 15. 65 years left.) Let's give them each that much time in jail. 65 years. They ruined his life so now there's is equally ruined.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
They ruined his life so now there's is equally ruined.
With time, appropriate support and help the violated child can lead a normal and productive life and put this event behind them.

The "perps" will always have a criminal record that closes many doors to them.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Look at this river of tears I am crying. I am so sad for them. Really. :cray::cray::cray:

Magpie, sometimes I think you play devil's advocate just to stir the pot. Theres no sane person who could seriously defend these two.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Look at this river of tears I am crying. I am so sad for them. Really. :cray::cray::cray:

Magpie, sometimes I think you play devil's advocate just to stir the pot. Theres no sane person who could seriously defend these two.
Sometimes I think if you actually read what I post you'd understand a bit better.

I'm not defending them I am pointing out that the sentence handed down has consequences for life and the horror endured by the victim does have hope of mitigation.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I am pointing out that the sentence handed down has consequences for life
:cray::cray::cray::cray::cray::cray::cray::cray: i cry everey tiem

the horror endured by the victim does have hope of mitigation.
After thousands and thousands of dollars and years and years in therapy, and thats only a hope. Some people really do carry this shit around with them for the rest of their lives.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With time, appropriate support and help the violated child can lead a normal and productive life and put this event behind them.

You never put it behind you. And to your other point... I do not know what to say, in this instance or when Rape or sexual assault is involved it should close every door especially a casket.

I'm not defending them I am pointing out that the sentence handed down has consequences for life and the horror endured by the victim does have hope of mitigation.
That is just it, most rape survivors wish they were dead because at least they would be dead. Instead they have to re-live their death over an over each day because make no mistake being raped destroys everything about you and who you could have been. Sure you move forward if you are lucky but you always look at life through your own prism a prism that is as convoluted as the emotions and mental anguish you put yourself through as a victim.

You never get over it, you never forget it, you never reconcile with it you just accept it happened.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I remember some news on this issue a while back about making discrimination against people with criminal records a punishable offense.
not really relevant as this case was in the UK, plus proving that an employer has discriminated at the application stage for a job is almost impossible.

It doesnt matter how people feel about the sentence, the guidelines for a crime in the UK are pretty well defined, the judge can tack on a few years for various reasons, but ultimately taking away 14 years of someone's life, placing them on the sex offenders register for the rest of there life and the fact they are likely to be shunned by there family,friends and pretty much anyone who knows what they have done and are likely to live in poverty for the rest of there days because they will struggle to find work isnt exactly a cake walk, plus as magpie says the lad will get help, im sure it will haunt him for a very long time if not forever, but rape victims do get past it and do go on to live "normal" lives, i know this as my cousin was attacked when she was a teen, she even gave birth to and raised the rapists child, yeah they have had issues along the way but they are a happy functioning family.

the criminal justice system in the UK isnt as harsh as the US, but then again we have far less crime to deal with in the UK, so maybe we dont have to just bang someone up for life at the drop of the hat, we have more of a punish and rehabilitate approach.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
taking away 14 years of someone's life, placing them on the sex offenders register for the rest of there life and the fact they are likely to be shunned by there family,friends and pretty much anyone who knows what they have done and are likely to live in poverty for the rest of there days because they will struggle to find work isnt exactly a cake walk
:cray::cray::cray::cray::cray: awwwww poor child rapists. i am so sad for them.

Nothing you can say will make me feel bad for these people. Like you said, punishments are very formulaic in the UK, so they knew exactly what they were doing, what the punishment would be, and they did it anyway. Fuck them. Let them rot on a curbside shaking a tin cup for the rest of their lives. They'll make a great example.

If you ask me, they should have "child rapist" tattooed across their forehead so everyone will know what they are. If we're lucky, we'll find their bodies in a dumpster in less than a week and parents everywhere can breathe a sigh of relief.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
That is just it, most rape survivors wish they were dead because at least they would be dead. Instead they have to re-live their death over an over each day because make no mistake being raped destroys everything about you and who you could have been. Sure you move forward if you are lucky but you always look at life through your own prism a prism that is as convoluted as the emotions and mental anguish you put yourself through as a victim.

You never get over it, you never forget it, you never reconcile with it you just accept it happened.
I am sure that is the case for many and due largely to not getting the support they need.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Let them rot on a curbside shaking a tin cup for the rest of their lives. They'll make a great example.
Given their age and criminal record when they get out of prison, (if they get out of prison) that scenario is quite likely.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
plus as magpie says the lad will get help, im sure it will haunt him for a very long time if not forever, but rape victims do get past it and do go on to live "normal" lives, i know this as my cousin was attacked when she was a teen, she even gave birth to and raised the rapists child, yeah they have had issues along the way but they are a happy functioning family.
I am sure that is the case for many and due largely to not getting the support they need.
For the past seven years I have traveled my country and abroad lecturing and teaching people about sexual assault awareness. I have met thousands of survivors. It is not about them not getting the support they need. Do they get the support they deserve? Not by a long shot. But that is the culture we live in a rape culture where it is accepted, where the victim is made to feel as if they are lying or it was their fault.

I am a strong person capable of incredible things I had all the support I could have needed, it does not help you get back what was destroyed, what was stolen what was murdered.

the criminal justice system in the UK isnt as harsh as the US, but then again we have far less crime to deal with in the UK, so maybe we dont have to just bang someone up for life at the drop of the hat, we have more of a punish and rehabilitate approach.
You cannot rehabilitate a rapist or someone who commits sexual assault. Once a rapist always a rapist.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Sounds like you didn't get the support you needed and changing the culture is probably the main thing that needs be done before there is any hope of a significant recovery form such an experience.

Getting "their life is ruined" out of on lookers heads would make a world of difference IMO.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but I would think that it was approaching what happened to a person as "something destroyed or murdered" instead of "something an evil person did to them" could be a problem with reconciling. Someone did something to you, yes it was horrible, but I've never seen how that can affect how you see yourself. YOU didn't do anything.

Totally not trying to start a fight, I just cannot see the connection.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but I would think that it was approaching what happened to a person as "something destroyed or murdered" instead of "something an evil person did to them" could be a problem with reconciling. Someone did something to you, yes it was horrible, but I've never seen how that can affect how you see yourself. YOU didn't do anything.

Totally not trying to start a fight, I just cannot see the connection.
I think that is where how the victim is treated afterwards comes in, the old "they deserved it" or "they set themselves up for it" thing.

I'm no expert like Walkwaway but it seems to be a pretty common theme that there are feelings of shame and guilt on the part of the victim.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts