Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only just got the new Empire Rulebook today and decided to make a list, I already have my Lord and Captain, and 10 spearmen and 10 handgunners, so anywho what do you think, its quite basic and simple, but sometimes simple is best lol, I went for spearmen mainly because there my favorite troop type, the handgunners I just had to have, although I was tempted by Crossbowmen lol.

The main Tactic is, spearmen form a big block in the center and Handgunners either take positions on flanks, or behind on hills (depending on terrain) The captain forms up in the center to add combat power, with cannons in between the spearmen units, and the mortar behind, the Cavalry set up on either flank and perform flank charges, simple.

++Lords++

*General of the Empire Marius Luddenhof,
Full Plate armour, Shield, Warhorse, Barding
Sword of Power, The White Cloak
=191pts

++Heroes++

Captain of the Empire Markus Erelius
Great Weapon
Armour of Meteoric iron
=79pts

Battle Wizard Fredrick Tarvern
LV-2 upgrade
Dispel Scroll
=125pts

Battle Wizard Romeraz Glitern
LV-2 upgrade
Dispel Scroll
Biting Blade
=130pts

++Core++

25 Spearmen
Shields, Full command
=170pts
5 Handgunners 40pts

25 Spearmen
Shields, Full command
=170pts
5 Handgunners 40pts

25 Spearmen
Shields, Full command
=170pts
5 Handgunners 40pts
5 Handgunners 40pts

10Handgunners
Musician, Marksmen
Hochland Long Rifle
=110pts

10Handgunners
Musician, Marksmen
Hochland Long Rifle
=110pts

++Special++

*10 Knights
Inner Circle, Full Command
Banner of Duty
=310pts

Cannon
=100pts

Cannon
=100pts

Mortar
=75pts

* General inside Knights

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Your list is very similar to mine.

Why have you got 3 units of spearmen? you have no units that are good on the charge only ones that are good when charged. You should think about gettinf a unit of swordsmen or halberdiers.

Swap the magic banner you have in the knights with the steel standard An extra D3 inches charge can make or break your winning chances.

I see no helblaster, why? They are great true not as good as they used to be but still a definant in a 2000pt army.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't really want any Swordsmen or Halberdiers really, the new models are great yes, but I have always loved spearmen, they seem to have an allure about them to me

I can't swap the banner around, there a different cost points wise, otherwise I would be over the limit

Helblasters are nice, but, I just can't seem to push myself into buying one, plus again I would be over points

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
why the detatchments of five handgunners? very small units which are really going to be useless if youre going for on offensive list and only slightly less useless if going for a shooty list. id drop the spearmen to 20 men rather then 25 and beef up the handgunners to 10 men, or replace them athogether with free company or swordsmen so that its easier for you to deal with chargers, and more offensive going forward

·
Registered
318 Posts
My Empire army is from Nordland too, I swear I didn't copy you- :lol:

I'll repeat what others have said- get some Halberdiers in there and Swordsmen.

I agree on the hideous-ness of the new models, so snap up the old Empire State troops from stores, eBay, etc.

My 2000pts list has:

Knightly Order
Swordsmen
Halberdiers
Spearmen
Free Company
Crossbowmen
Handgunners
Archers
Huntsmen

Cannon
Mortar
Outriders
Pistoliers

General
BSB
Battle Wizard
Warrior Priest

The sheer number of different troop types and corresponding models will hopefully make it easier to paint such large numbers, and offer me far more variety in game.

Anyway, modelling preferences aside- I've tried the Handgunner detachment, and it requires your Spearmen remain stationary. Otherwise your Handgunners are either left behind, have to jog alongside, or have their LOS blocked by manouevering Spearmen.

In the end I opted for 5xman Archer units, they can move with the Spearmen and still shoot, they can sit in the pieces of cover often used to anchor a battle-line, preventing enemy skirmishers taking advantage, and finally they can stand in front of your Spearmen and move forward- hiding the Spearmen whilst forcing a -1 to hit them.

I'd keep the independent Handgunner units with Hochlands- smart move. Though I think the Musicians are a bit pointless on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts