Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a unit does a reform, how much movement does it take for the unit to do a 180 ?

So a unit is heading North then reforms to face South has each model simply turned around on their heels, (and the command models run from back to front) or has the whole unit spun 180 ?

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
doesn't matter any more: you either do a full reform and use all your movement or do a full reform and then make it fast (yes, the test for fast reform is done after moving the unit) and then get to move your standard move distance (no charge/march).

They removed the 'turn' options we had in 7th entirely in 8th... only way to do it is to wheel or to reform: wheeling 180 is only really useful for very small units though.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so if I do a reform with my Hexwraiths I basically don't count as having used up any of my movement?

·
Registered
49 Posts
No no you've got it wrong. If you reform your using ALL movement during that phase. However, if you got a musician in the unit then you can do a swift reform. This is done by making a leadership test. If you succed, your unit can do a full reform AND a full-non march move! I think that's how it's done. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
No no you've got it wrong. If you reform your using ALL movement during that phase. However, if you got a musician in the unit then you can do a swift reform. This is done by making a leadership test. If you succed, your unit can do a full reform AND a full-non march move! I think that's how it's done. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Basically correct.

As T/S said the process for Quick Reforms is:

(1) Reform the unit
(2) Test Ld
(3) If you pass, move the unit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh really? I thought that you have to take a leadership test before you reform, that's why I was confused by Steve's explanation.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
But fast Cav get numerous free reforms?

Sorry I don't think I made that clear in my initial question, I'm wondering how Hexwraiths/Fast Cav work.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hexwraiths get kind of boned because of their low ld. But yeah, fast cav get a bonus type of reforming.

Also, I thought you could do quick reforms without musicians - they just gave +1?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You need the musicians for the swift reform, the +1 is a bonus for having a musician while trying to rally.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hexwraiths get kind of boned because of their low ld. But yeah, fast cav get a bonus type of reforming.
I'm not seeing anywhere that says they have to take a leadership test to free reform?

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
fast cav don't need to- they just move to anywhere within their max range in any formation. They are similar to skirmishers in that regard.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so what if they want to move forwards 8" turn around and move back 8", can they do that?

I'm trying to work out if they can pass through a unit twice in the one turn with their 16" march move.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
I'm trying to work out if they can pass through a unit twice in the one turn with their 16" march move.
I cannot see a reason why not; however as Spectral Hunters targets one unit that they have moved through in the phase I do not think you would get to hit them twice.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cannot see a reason why not; however as Spectral Hunters targets one unit that they have moved through in the phase I do not think you would get to hit them twice.
Ah ok I'd missed that bit, still you can reform from line abreast to line astern to attack a single character or do a 180 and then Danse Macabre to get a second attack.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Ah ok I'd missed that bit, still you can reform from line abreast to line astern to attack a single character or do a 180 and then Danse Macabre to get a second attack.
Oh yes, reforming to pass over a selected target is fine, and DM happens in a different phase so can trigger again.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yes, reforming to pass over a selected target is fine, and DM happens in a different phase so can trigger again.
OK so what impact does that have on the units amount of movement?

Do you just reform or do you subtract the amount the model that has moved the farthest ?

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
OK so what impact does that have on the units amount of movement?

Do you just reform or do you subtract the amount the model that has moved the farthest ?
Page 95, BRB: the unit immediately makes a normal move.

So you ignore any distance travelled when reforming but cannot march or use special movement abilities.

Of course the reform itself must be legal, so you need to check distance moved when reforming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts