Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the hobby with the AoBR box and have added a few units since. Ive played about a dozen games and it seems my army needs some serious help. The 3 other people I play with are noobs too, and we all make big mistakes but my army so far seems to be the runt of the litter.

I'm willing to spend some cash, but not before I know what to get. Id like a 1500 pt list, preferably one that can fight the following, as this is all I will likely ever play against:

CSM: Lash Princes, Obliterator Spam, Berserkers, Defiler
Orks: Battlewagons and Trukks full of boyz with KFF
IG: Mech list

So far I have:

Librarian
Captain
Chaplain
Tac Squad
Scouts w/snipers
Rhino
LandSpeeder w/MM
Predator
Sgt. Telion
Terminators w/ assault cannon
Dreadnought x 2

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ok, so the following list is what i think is a pretty solid vanilla list that has the power to deal with most armies (which the three u mentioned covered many of those bases) I used the models you listed plus with only a few tac boxes, a speeder and some tanks, you should be good to go. Tell me what you think.

HQ:
Captain w/ PW, Digital Weapons - 125pts
good troop killer, you dont want to give him a fist, because things u need fists to kill will kill him first. PLus you dont want to waste his higher initiative.

Elites:
5 Termies w/ Assault Cannon - 230pts
popular choice, very good unit. great for DSing into the heart of an army.
Dreadnought w/ DCCW, TL Lascannon - 135pts
another good ranged unit. plus he can advance while he shoots and cause trouble in CC.

Troops:
10 Tac Marines w/ PF, Melta, ML, rhino w/ EA - 250pts
5 Tac Marines w/ PF, razorback w/ HB - 155pts (Captain goes here)
5 Scouts w/ 4 sniper rifles, ML - 85pts
tac marines are great units all around, plus im a believer in a solid core of troops to help take objectives and do the dirty work. the 5 man tac squad is good for a assault on units with the captain. normally i dont put PFs in a small squad, but with the captain there, it shouldnt matter too much. the 5 sniper scouts is cheap, excellent fire support and as troops, can claim the home objective. so plant them and fire at will.

Fast Attack:
Landspeeder w/ MM, HF - 70pts
good fast troop or tank hunters. IMO if you run one, you need to run two to help keep the heat off them.

Heavies:
Predator w/ TL Lascannon, HB sponsons - 130pts
Again, great ranged support tank kitted to deal with anything.

1500pts

This list has lots of ranged support for infantry and tanks. you have lots of armour on the board so targeting priority will be key to your opponent and you have a good dash of CC from some units. Overall a balanced list.Hope that helps! good luck and happy hunting! :eek:k:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Another tactical squad would be a good idea, as well as mounting both squads in razorbacks or rhinos. I'd be hard pressed to glue down the twin linked heavy bolters for the razorback to be stuck with it. The twin laz cannons are your better bet if you don't want to spend $15+ for the upgrade sprue. It'll help vs. your IG mech friend.

Unless you go fast attack of course. Depends on how you want to play.. You can customize some twin linked assault cannons or even tl heavy flamers for razorbacks.. i dunno.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so the following list is what i think is a pretty solid vanilla list that has the power to deal with most armies (which the three u mentioned covered many of those bases) I used the models you listed plus with only a few tac boxes, a speeder and some tanks, you should be good to go. Tell me what you think.

HQ:
Captain w/ PW, Digital Weapons - 125pts
good troop killer, you dont want to give him a fist, because things u need fists to kill will kill him first. PLus you dont want to waste his higher initiative.

Elites:
5 Termies w/ Assault Cannon - 230pts
popular choice, very good unit. great for DSing into the heart of an army.
Dreadnought w/ DCCW, TL Lascannon - 135pts
another good ranged unit. plus he can advance while he shoots and cause trouble in CC.

Troops:
5 Tac Marines w/ PF, razorback w/ HB - 155pts (Captain goes here)
5 Scouts w/ 4 sniper rifles, ML - 85pts
tac marines are great units all around, plus im a believer in a solid core of troops to help take objectives and do the dirty work. the 5 man tac squad is good for a assault on units with the captain. normally i dont put PFs in a small squad, but with the captain there, it shouldnt matter too much. the 5 sniper scouts is cheap, excellent fire support and as troops, can claim the home objective. so plant them and fire at will.

Fast Attack:
good fast troop or tank hunters. IMO if you run one, you need to run two to help keep the heat off them.

Heavies:
Predator w/ TL Lascannon, HB sponsons - 130pts
Again, great ranged support tank kitted to deal with anything.

1500pts

This list has lots of ranged support for infantry and tanks. you have lots of armour on the board so targeting priority will be key to your opponent and you have a good dash of CC from some units. Overall a balanced list.Hope that helps! good luck and happy hunting! :eek:k:
Thanks a lot! I like how it includes most of the stuff I already have. So overall I should be striving for a very shooty army with SM right?

In the long run say if you were to optimize the list a little more not taking into account what I already have, what 1 or two things would you change?

·
Registered
324 Posts
No prob. In alot of ways, yes, vanilla marines are very shooty. at the same time they do have some decent CC units. THe idea is to lay down plenty of fire to cover your CC units and soften the enemy lines. Balance is pretty key here IMO.

as for what i would add? um, i dunno. this is (again IMO) a solid 1500pt list. not too fancy, easy for beginners to kick tail with. Now if you start climbing higher in points i might suggest adding a librarian to the list seeing as how theres alot of powers out there. He would also be a good sub for the captain if you think you will be facing psykers even at 1500pts. If you want to go more CC heavy, possibly a Vanguard squad or assault squad with a chaplain. or if more shooty, then maybe a sternguard squad or devestator squad or even a vindicator, now theres a tank no one will take lightly. But likely, if you climb in points, i would take a honour guard or command sqd with the captain in a razorback. theres a nice nastey little CC unit aswell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, here is my 2cents.
I tried VERY hard to keep your requested list within the model you already have as to prevent you from spending too much extra cash. I think you have a SOLID SOLID core to work from, and are more than capable of beating your friends... or at the very least giving them a good run for their money. its all about how you use what you have as well. here's my break down of a 1500 pt. list.

HQ1: Librarian in Terminator armor w/Storm sheild (140)
-powers: Smite/Gate
HQ2: Captain, combi weapon, hellfire rounds (120)

TRP1: Tactical (5man), Powerfist, Tele Homer, Razorback (no upgrades), (140) points
TRP2: SEE TROOP 1.
*note:Captain joins one of the tactical squads*
TRP3: Scouts (5man), sniper, camo, tele homer (105)

ELT1: Termiators (5man) Assault Cannon, Chain Fist (235)
*note:Librarian joins here*
ELT2: Dreadnought, drop pod (140)
ELT3: Dreadnought, drop pod (140)

HVY: Predator, Twin Las, Hvy Bltrs (130)

FST: 2x Land speeders, Hvy Flamers, Multi-Meltas (140)
*note: this can be split into two separate units if desired*

Total = 1490pts

Here are my thoughts, your heavy hitters against your friends are the Dreads, and the Termies. You want to bring them into play were they will be the most effective. Hence the drop pods, and teleporter homers. You deep strike in your termies, and since every squad has a homer, they can come in where they are needed the most. You will have to drop in one dread at the begining of the game, but make it count, put where it will do the most damage, reguardless of its saftey, no matter what it will need to be addressed by your oppenent. You can then drop in the second Dread in support of first (if needed) or in support of another unit. Use the razor backs and your tact squads to get objective, take up good fireing positions, and hold up for when your termies can drop in. DO NOT DISSEMBARK UNTIL ABSOLUTELY NECCASARY. The Scouts can infiltrate, and use their scout move to get nice and close to the enemy, which is perfect for the tele homer and deep striking Termies. Use the land speeders to fill in gaps, add extra covering fire, and tank hunt, tank hunt, they are fast so moving them around shouldn't be a problem. Lastly the Pred, covers the Razorbacks as they advance, using either the hvy bolters to deal with infantry heavy armies or the las cannons to pop tanks/transports.

The only things you should have to add, are another rhino hull/razorback, and the drop pods, as well as a Librarian in Termi armor. And the second Land speeder. If your friends dont mind proxies, use power armor lib as termi armor, upside down party cups make great drop pods, and just make sure you pick out which tact marines are the sargs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I'm curious about, and this pertains to both lists, is what do you do with tactical squads during the battle? Most units its pretty obvious either they stand still and shoot or they rush forward.

The fact that they have a PF in most lists makes it even more confusing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
depends on what you use that sqd for. if you need to hold a position, you keep them in their tank and haul over to it. if you need them to tie up a unit, then you get them into the fight as intact as possible. or it you want to shoot something with them, dig in deep and launch you heavy weapon (10 men only) at them. what makes them so good is they are extremely versetile.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One thing I'm curious about, and this pertains to both lists, is what do you do with tactical squads during the battle? Most units its pretty obvious either they stand still and shoot or they rush forward.

The fact that they have a PF in most lists makes it even more confusing.
Normally i take a power weapon, as i do not like PF losing all my initiative, but with such a small amount of models, taking a chance on a big "one-hitter-quitter" works out good. I put them in both squads, so both squads could fit into what ever you need them to do, Tacticals are exactly that.. tactical... they fill a roll they are needed for at the time.
I went light on the upgrades as well to keep things cheep, and let you fit MORE troops and MORE models on the table. 40k can turn into a simple numbers game, and the more you have the better off you are. With what you have, your termies/dreads/and HQs are your strong point(s), which means the rest (troops) needs to help them do their job better (tele homers, etc). You really have a great solid core of an army to build from. But like the saying goes... "its not the size of your army, its how you use it."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts