Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on painting and toying with my units and now that I'm done with what i own, i'm wondering what i should do with it.

(I'm not fully aware of the point costs cause I bought the units for fun, painted them, and now i'm going through the book to get thier numbers, so I'm not asking for a Point Total, just an idea of were my army should be heading.)

------------------

Mephiston + Honor Guard(Blood Champion and Novitiate) + Rhino
Dreadnought
6x Tactical Squad A + Razorback (Lascannons)
6x Tactical Squad B + Razorback (Storm Bolters)
10x Death Company + Lemartes (All w/ Jump Packs)

Baal Predator (soon to be purchased)
Predator
---------------------

My idea is a 'Tip of the Spear' style, punching through them with the Death Company and Lemartes, and using the Razors + tactical Squads to hunt down stragglers, the Razors + Predator doing anti Armor and the Baal Predator helping the marines with anti infantry. Mephiston as i've noticed is a BEASTLY HQ, and i've equiped him with an Honor Guard to help with the demolition of the enemy forces. my idea for a 'Larger' force would be the addition of 3 Land Raiders (1 crusader 2 standard) and 30x Marines with my Librarian in Terminator armor as a 'Residual' force to come up from behind the forward assault, a literal death squad to crush the remaining forces. as well as maxing out my Death Company to 30 marines with Lemartes. (as well as more squads in razorbacks)

one thing i've noticed is the Sanguinary Priests are often added to an army, i'm debating wether i should or not, i wanted to use vehicles with the 'fast' option for my smaller force to get them to the field faster, but i didnt with my death company (is this a good or bad idea?)

anyway, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok so the first problem is Mephiston. Yes he is a beastly HQ but he can't join a squad of anything, even honor guard. You can field the honor guard and put them in the rhino but mephiston would not be able to ride with them.

If you are not stuck on tactical marines i would suggest using Assault marines instead. Give them a melta and a powerfist and put them in the razor backs. This makes the razor backs 35 points cheaper due to the assault marines special rule.

Death company is a very expensive choice esp with lemartes. I would not go to the full 30, the points to do that would be outlandish. Instead if you want to use them keep them at 10 and give them power weapons.

I use Land Raider Crusaders in my blood angels army and they work really well with Mephiston. He can hide behing it for cover and it is hard to take the land raider out for a lot armies. If you are fielding them as normal land raiders for heavy fire support I would suggest fielding Predators with las cannons sponsons instead. They are more post effective and can park so they can shoot all of the weapons they have.

Sanguinary Priest are a must have. I run 2 in 2000 points and I have never ever debated taking them out. I keep one in the land raider with a power weapon and the other with a jump pack and a power weapon. The ability to give your troops Feel no Pain is very strong. Furious Charge is also amazing, it lets your guys swing and kill marines before they can swing back. If you are going to be focusing more on the death company you may only need one seeing that they all ready have feel no pain.

Librarians can be a good cheap HQ. i would suggest the powers Shield of Sanguinus and Blood Lance. I usually run a librarian, but recently have been toying with the idea of taking him out. The 5+ cover save is nice but it hardly ever comes through and blood lance looks amazing on paper, but the more i try it out the less effective it is. I have gone entire games with my librarian not doing anything but casting spells that were very useless. You may have better luck with one, i would suggest proxy first to see if you like him.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i guess i had misread the Ruling on Honor guard because it had stated i can field one for each HQ i have available, did they remove the retinue in 5th?

·
Registered
61 Posts
They did not remove it. And you can use it as I stated but Mephiston can not be part of their squad. Mephiston is not a Independent character and therefore can't join any squad of any type including his own honor guard. If you want you can move them up the field together but it may be better to just stick a sanguinary priest next to him.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. now i understand, ofcourse if my Librarian wasn't in Terminator armor i could attach him to the Retinue, i can probably just save them for the larger army

Mostly the reason i kept Tactical Marines instead of Assault is the weapons that they have, an automatic weapon is always a plus, and since i'm planning on using them for fire support, the Assault marines are more close combat, and i didnt want to be completely without a fire option, i had figured with the Razorbacks i could keep up with the Death company. I just thought i'd try to use some of all the great features of the Blood Angels, do you think it would survive?

thanks for the Advice as well on the land raiders. and yeah, i Love my Terminator Librarian :D.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It could work out. If you are set on the tactical marines in razorbacks make sure to take lascannons on top cause it is a really good form of fire support. If you want to use a lot of Death Company you could use Astaroth the Grim as an HQ choice. He takes the limit off of 0-1 Death company so you could field a few troops of them. Also if you want to have a really good death company flavor dont overlook the death company dread, he can be a scary thing on the field flying down from a drop pod.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can i add Astaroth as HQ and still have the Librarian and Mephiston? (i've forgotten how many HQ choices you can have), I thought about him but the pure fighting power of Mephiston was just too hard to pass up. And i think i will try that idea with the DC dreadnought in Drop Pod, that'd be a great suckerpunch to an unexpecting enemy. i'll fit lascannons on my Razorbacks but how can you get more turrets? the RB box only had 2 (Bolters and Lasers). do you just buy them as bits?

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can only have 2 HQ choices. Mephiston is a beast, but a beast that's easy to target if you dont make maximum use of cover. Astorath i have used with a death company squad against space wolves and they tore through 3 squads in CC in one game, he really adds devastating power to the death company. The librarian is good, but usually the epistolary upgrade is not worth the points, as you dont get too many oppurtunities to use 2 powers per turn effectively (at least IMO). The DC dreadnought is a beast, especially with blood talons (I think that's what their called, dont have the codex handy) they can rip through infantry with ease.

to get razorback turrets, the best way i can find is to order the land raider terminus ultra conversion kit, which also has side-mounted lascannons which could work with a bit of converting.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if, instead, i take out the Honor Guard and put in 3 Sanguinary Priests with Bikes, put Meph in his own Rhino, and drive the whole army towards the enemy, could that work?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts