Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
WYSIWYG Bolter/Pistol/CCW chaos marine questions

Hi guys, started playing and joined this site after reading much of the Horus Heresy series and got some questions based on the WYSIWYG rule and what the Chaos Codex says.

In the codex it says under the Wargear for the basic Chaos Marine that they have a bolter, bolt pistol, and chainsword. So does that mean they have all 3?

If so, do I need to have those weapon on the model in someway for them to use them? Cause I planned on glueing the bolt pistol and chainsword arms on my champions to have them stand out from their squads.

I assume if they can switch I'd have to state what setup their using at the start of my turn, right? (are they gonna man their bolters or pull out the chainswords and pistols?)

Last one and I'll shut up. Where can I get missle launcher peices from. Boxed models only came with flamer, heavy bolter, and plasm gun peices.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
They have a boltgun, bolt pistol and a close combat weapon. The CC weapon can be a knife, a rock, a decapitated head swung by the hair or any other "weapon" you can think of. For actual game play, no, you do not need to model all three weapons on each model. I only take the WYSIWYG rule to apply to a character or a special model. Some people may say differently, but the spirit of the rule is mainly for special or unique models and wargear, not the basic stuff. Your aspiring champion with a plasma pistol and a power fist and melta bombs really should have the pistol, fist and the bomb modeled onto it in one fashion or another as those are not basic supplied weapons from the entry in the codex but rather upgrades purchased above the normal loadout. Same goes for a heavy weapon model, best to have a missile launcher on a missile launcher equipped model and not a boltgun like the other guys in the squad, you need to visually differentiate the "special" models from the rest.

For what weapon they will use in a turn, yes, you state that they will be firing "X" weapon in the shooting phase. Firing the bolt pistol in the shooting phase will allow you to assault in the same turn were as if you fired the boltgun, you couldn't assault. As the old dude in the Indiana Jones move said, "Choose wisely..."
For CC weapons it is automatically assumed they switched to them when they assaulted a unit or were assaulted. No need to declare that they are using their basic CC weapons in an assault. Now a special model with more than one special CC weapon must declare which one he is using before rolling, that is covered in the BRB under weapon types.

As for the parts, the havoc box has the launcher or the individual metal model is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
As for the parts, the havoc box has the launcher or the individual metal model is the way to go.
As well, the Devestator kit for 'Nilla Marines can be quite easily converted to the cooler side of the warp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay cool. One more thing I just thought up.

It says under the spec weapons that you trade out the Bolter. So I can have a guy with a Heavy Bolter also have the chainsword and pistol? That just seems odd imagining a CM run into an assault with a heavy bolter strapped to his back.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Okay cool. One more thing I just thought up.

It says under the spec weapons that you trade out the Bolter. So I can have a guy with a Heavy Bolter also have the chainsword and pistol? That just seems odd imagining a CM run into an assault with a heavy bolter strapped to his back.
Yes, he trades off the bolter for the optional weapon and keeps everything else unless it says specifically that you trade out other items too. And yes again, he "shoulders" or "stows" the big gun and whips out the CC weapons. Models never "loose" weapons unless it says it is a one shot or single use only weapon like a hunter killer missile or the special weapon on a combi-weapon.

Just so you can keep some semblance of sanity, never try to put 40k into any type of "realism" or "reality." In terms of how 40K game mechanics VS. real life goes, it is like oil and water, it doesn't mix too well.
(If you really want to get your brain to hurt, try and figure out how a chain link fence or a little shrubbery can stop a high powered laser blast yet, the power armor worn by marines can't? Yeah, cover saves are a bit goofy if you apply any "reality" to them. So, don't even try to wrap your head around a lot of that type of stuff.)

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
If you see someone post in the wrong spot, just REPORT it. They can't do anything about it, so just let the Mods know and move on

Yes CSM come with all three and can use whichever they like whenever they like. For example, they can fire their bolters in your turn, then use their CCW and Pistols when assualted in your opponents turn.

Since its all basic wargear, you can just model them with Bolter or Bolt pistol/CCW and 99% of people will accept it. The 1% are probably arses anyway.

I'm not too sure on the best place to get Missile Launchers, you could check out a bits site or things like the Loayalist Devastaor pack for bits, but other than that, I don't know if there is a better way.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Hi guys, started playing and joined this site after reading much of the Horus Heresy series and got some questions based on the WYSIWYG rule and what the Chaos Codex says.

In the codex it says under the Wargear for the basic Chaos Marine that they have a bolter, bolt pistol, and chainsword. So does that mean they have all 3?
Yes, they have all three. Cool huh?

do I need to have those weapon on the model in someway for them to use them? Cause I planned on glueing the bolt pistol and chainsword arms on my champions to have them stand out from their squads.
It is standard kit, so as long as you have a good mix of CCW/pistol and Bolter guys in the squad (using the holstered pistols is handy here) then you should be ok. Being standard gear it is obvious what they are equipped with, unless upgraded (which should be shown as well).

I assume if they can switch I'd have to state what setup their using at the start of my turn, right? (are they gonna man their bolters or pull out the chainswords and pistols?)
The rules for Rapid Fire weapons alleviate any need for declaring a setup. You cannot assault after firing the Bolter so both cannot be used in a turn anyway.

Where can I get missle launcher peices from. Boxed models only came with flamer, heavy bolter, and plasm gun peices.

Thanks for your time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chaos-Space-Marine-Missile-Launcher-NIB-/280558744634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41529ab43a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-Chaos-Space-Marines-Missile-Launcher-Havoc-/310240411943?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item483bc50127

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=chaos+havoc+&_sacat=0&_odkw=chaos+havoc+missle+launcher&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.