Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey there!

Being an old gamer (ca 10 years back) I have decided to resurrect my hobby once again, and play CSM. I am mostly interested in the modeling and painting, but I do want to build an army I'm able to field in battle as well. Thus I'm not entirely familiar with all the points and such. I was just wondering if anyone has a nice 500 point army list designed mostly for CC (the type I enjoy by far the most) they can point me to?

The reason for this is I want to start asap with modeling and painting and decided just yesterday to start again, so haven't had the time to dive deep into army compositions, rules etc.

Any help in pointing me to a good list is appreciated!

/Miami

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hi miami.
If you want ot focus on painting and modeling you might want to have a variegated army, i guess. I'd say:
-Chaos Lord, Bike, Power fist, Lightning Claw, Sigils of corruption (145)
-3 Bikers, meltagun, meltabombs (85)

-10 Cultists, flamer (55)
-5 Marines, plasmagun (90)

-Maulerfiend

This should be 505 or so.

At 1000 pts you could add

-Another 5 marines to the squad, with a 2nd plasmagun and a rhino (+115)
-Another squad of 5 khorne marked Bikers, with power weapon (135)
-Another Maulerfiend
-4 Spawns (for the sake of converting and painting some crazy models)

This could be a funny 1000 pts list, with bikers as tough cc threats, maulerfiends as antiarmour and cc beasts a shooty marine unit for the midfield and the cultists as home objective grabber. Spawns just there doing spawny things...
About the hobby part you have a wide variety of models to paint: humans, power armour, bikers for some different take on the marine side, monstruous vehicles and crazy modeling/painting in the form of spawns.
Hope it helps!
Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply neferhet!

Unfortunately bikers are not really what I'm looking forward to (bad/boring experiences with modeling & painting). I'm more into ground troops!

I actually have an old 1000p army list (from 3 years ago, so before 6th edition...)

HQ

- Demon Prince with wings, mark of Slaanesh, and Lash of Submission

Heavy support

- 3 Oblitz

Troops

- 5 Chaos marines, 1 with Plasma gun

- 5 Chaos marines

- 7 Plague marines, 1 with Plasma gun, 1 Plague champion

- 1 dedicated rhino

- 5 Chaos terminators - 1 heavy flamer, 2 power fists, 1 chainfist, 2 power wpns, 3 of them champions.

That's about 950 points, leaving 50 points for further uprgrades or wargear. Suggestions are:

- Mark of Nurgle on the termies and one Combi-melta with them, and adding a flamer in the Chaos Marines group lacking the Plasma gun.

- Upgrade the last two terminators to champions and adding two Combi-meltas to them, adding a flamer with the Chaos Marines group and giving the Plague Champion a power weapon!

I'm not sure about having a Demon Prince anymore. Any thoughts if this list is still viable?

I'm pretty sure it's good in CC with the added support of the Obliterators.

But like I said, not sure I want to start off with a 1000p army, that will be further on in the future.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Mh, that list is not really good a cc...
you have some soft shooting (marines)
a strong shooting support (oblits)
a winged prince (lash does not exist anymore) as main cc treath
a tough cc support (termies)

it could be called an "all comer" list :)
But, if you don't want to have bikers this is my take at it:
You should need a lord (this new codex is all about a well kitted lord)
You should neeed a proper retinue for the lord (otherwise he will just be lascannoned to oblivion)

You should need a soft, cheap troop for home objectives (you can have a cc oriented troop, if you like)
You should need a strong midfield support troop, be it cc or shooty

You should need a way to deal with monsters and armored vehicles

Chaos Lord, Terminator Armour, Power Fist, MoTzeentch
3 Terminators, power axes, 3 combiplasmas, MoTzeentch
(250)

15 Cultists
10 Cultists, Flamer
Maulerfiend
(250)

Now you have a very tough cc beast, the Lord, surrounded by a nasty Terminator retinue, capable of dealing with heavy infantry and monstruos creatures.
The cultists are cheap meatshields but you should not underestimate the mass of attacks they can roll.
The maulerfiend, again, is there to crush any vehicle and should be used as very fast treath to force your opponent on the defensive. It is atruly though cc beast.

At 500 pts You can have some fun with this, unless your opponent is an ass with a super mini cheeselist.
EDIT: if you wanted to begin with the models you have i can suggest this:

Lord, Mark of Nurgle, Power Fist, Sigils of Corruption (130, use the plague champion for this)
5 Plague Marines, plasmagun, Rhino (200)

5 Chaos marines, plasmagun (90)

1 Obliterator, MoNurgle (76)

TOTAL: 996

Reactions: Miami

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Neferhet gave a very good list. If you want to have more marines then you could do two units of Chaos marines with close combat weapons instead of bolters, Mark of Slaanesh, Icon of Excess, and maybe a melta or flamer or two sprinkled in each, with a Khorne Lord on a bike with the Ax of Blind Fury. I don't have my codex on hand otherwise I'd try to make a list for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I'll try Neferhet's list I think, seems pretty solid.

Anyother question, completely off topic:

Does anyone have any experience with Games Workshop's shipping? I tried ordering some stuff today but one of the items (not sure which one) was deemed to hazardous to ship to my place, and the nearest GW shop is too far away to get there conveniently. I basically tried to order a box of CSM, some paints, brushes and tools. I'm guessing it might be one of the tools like a sharp knife that they won't ship. Anyone know anything regarding this?

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Did you order any Primer cans? Some shipping companies dont carry the insurance for "compressed" goods

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Go to home depot and buy the $1 black spray paint. Same thing.
Crafting knives are just any knife really.
Outside of those two, unless you're ordering a GW dremel it should ship.

Did you make sure to uncheck "Ship with anthrax bundled"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Haha! Don't think Anthrax was included...

I'm gonna try today again and see if I can order without the knives and stuff, hopefully it'll work.

EDIT:
Woho! It's official, ORDER is placed! Excited about getting into the world of Warhammer 40k again.

P.S. It was the glue I was trying to order that messed with it and didn't allow me to ship it to my home adress. Removed the glue from the order and it was fine. So now you know :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
P.S. It was the glue I was trying to order that messed with it and didn't allow me to ship it to my home adress. Removed the glue from the order and it was fine. So now you know :D
Glue contains Anthrax. Duh, that's why seven year-olds are always eating the stuff, they're just realizing how horrible the world is and want to end it all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, looking ahead and am starting to think about expanding to 750 points. What's worth aiming for then? A couple of Heldrakes? Bikers (but instead of the bikes riding on some sort of creature.... like I said, not really a fan of the bike models at all...)?

Pretty new to the whole scene and don't have enough experience to know what units are worth getting...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
So you need 250 pts?
heldrake is a must to be competitive and to cope with enemy flyers.
Or 5 bikers with 2 plasmaguns are very effective (if not good enough as the drake...) to hunt 2+ enemyes or wittle down hordes.
I'd say, however, that you should go for some heldrake or dakkapredator (bolter sponsons, autocannon turret, havoc launcher, 107 pts, lovely) for some reliable fire support.

Hear this,

Casual but still dangerous:
Dakkapred (bolter sponsons, havoc launchers) 107
5 bikers, 2 plasmaguns, (plasma toting marines on tzeentch disks ??:smoke: ) 140

Competitive and nasty:
Heldrake (baleflamer) 170
Obliterator w/ mark of Nurgle 76

OR funny but $$$
2 maulerfiends more...just for the lols

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your always insightful and kind advice Neferhet!

I'm really interested in a space chicken, cuz from everything I've read they seem to be nigh unstoppable and quite deadly...

OR funny but $$$
2 maulerfiends more...just for the lols
My Maulerfiend should be arriving early next week. We'll see how much I enjoy assembling and painting it. If it's fun and the result is good this might even be an option!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm really interested in a space chicken, cuz from everything I've read they seem to be nigh unstoppable and quite deadly...
Sadly, the helturkey is the "autoinclude" unit in the codex. if not at 750, you'll want one at 1000. And another one at 1500. And another one again at 1750-2000...sad but true, if you'll ever be involved in tournaments.

I'm really curious on how the maulerfiend paintwork will come out! It will be one of the centerpices model, do your best! :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay guys, so my local gaming club is hosting a 1250 tournament for club members, using the comp system (basically means I can only bring 1 Heldrake).

This will be the first tournament I will participate in, which means I gotta get a list that can face a variety of opponents. Most of the guys play Tyranids, Eldar, Tau, Necrons, SM (Grey Knights amongst others), and an orc player. So it's pretty varied.

I don't expect to win but it'd be nice to have a list that can at least to some degree be competitive. Which is why I need your help ;)

It's a little more than a month away and basically I gotta buy a few more models to get to 1250 points.

Atm I have:

1 chaos termie lord
5 terminators
25 cultists
1 heldrake
1 maulerfiend
3 oblits
1 dark apostle (lol, just for painting, not gonna use him)
7 plague marines
1 daemon prince

Anyone have a good idea for a list that can incorporate what I got, and what else do I need to get a competitive list? I was thinking perhaps another maulerfiend and then spam cultists.

Anyone willing to share their expert opinion?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Of course, man :)
First, questions:
-are the other armies limited aswell? Meaning eldar can only bring 2 serpents and so on?
-what are the models you like more and would like to add to your collection? that is very important. otherwise you will become a cheesy player that only buys model by their strenght...

Then, ideas and thoughts:
-cultists spam is dangerous, but feasible. you need to focus on reliable killers to support them.
-an "all out" cc army is very dangerous, and either wins big or loose poorly

so i'd say:
10 cultists more
another maulerfiend
6 havocs w/ 4 missile launchers

the army could/would be

-Lord
terminator armour
burning brand + poweraxe
MoNurgle
(155)
- 5 terminators
4 combiplasma
1 reaper autocannon
mixed powerweapons
(204)

-25 cultists
2 flamers
(120)
-10 cultists
(50)
-5 Plague marines
2 plasmaguns
champion w/combibolter
(151)

1 Heldrake
(170)

2 maulerfiends
(250)

6 havocs
4 missile launchers
(148)

-1250 on the spot

So you have a tough Hq with nasty retinue to deepstrike some death into enemy backfield; heldrake and maulerfiends to put fast pressure on the enemy; havocs for long range support; big cultist unit and plague marines as reliable objective holders and small cultist unit as reserve for last hope objective taking.

What do you say?
p.s I know your lord is Black Legion, the MoNurgle is the kind of opportunistic mark you take before a battle. A transitory pact with a chaos god ;) don't worry about modeling it on the lord!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well, yes, i had some bad experience with them. I think that spawns are the weakest fast attack choice due to the lack of armour save. They are not bad, mind you. they just need a lot more "know how" to exploit them properly. My advice to a beginner would be using bikers, but if you like the models of spawns (as I do ;) ) I say: they need to advance in cover, go in big units (5 spawns) and attack elite units. Their prey are small numbers, in the bigger sense: low body count, low number of shots with low ap and high strenght, low attacks, low armour save. If a unit has 2 or more of this characteristics, then you have a target for the spawns. Also, mark them nurgle or slaanesh (to attack simultaneously to marines), but nargle is just better (no instakill, oh yeah), or do not mark them if you know that you will not be facing many str10 weapons.
Another funny thing is to use them as a fast vehicle blockers. since many vehicles have rear AV10-11, spawns, with str 5 and a zillion of attacks, they can pop transports midfield or even threaten an armoured leman russ parking lot!

my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very good advice on the spawns, we would all do well to listen to neferhet. :good:

I run spawn with MoNurgle in my death guard, as a retinue for my nurge lord on his bike (4 of, usually),
and have always found it to be a good way to keep the lord going long enough to get to CC with his black mace :grin:
Bikers work just as well to though, if not better, due to there armor. The spawn on the other hand, will give another 12 wounds at T6.... so, bit of a trade off really.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts