Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wondering, if a fleet doesn't have a Shark Assault Boat, how do they board a ship?
Once inside how do they breach sealed bulk heads, melta charges or some kind of cutting tool?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The shark assault boats provides the initial breach, then the armsmen come out and start blasting, but yes IRRC there are instances where they bring plasma torches etc for breaching girders and doors. but usually non sm as per the Gothic war books by Gordon Rennie come alongside and board using assault boats as well as the above and enter through airlocks and already opened areas, so less breaching is involved.

Sry didnt read question correctly, if they dont have a Shark then shuttles can be used but i think if there arent any assault boats then usually a boarding action doesnt take place, unless the vessel is already destroyed mostly.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The shark assault boats provides the initial breach, then the armsmen come out and start blasting, but yes IRRC there are instances where they bring plasma torches etc for breaching girders and doors. but usually non sm as per the Gothic war books by Gordon Rennie come alongside and board using assault boats as well as the above and enter through airlocks and already opened areas, so less breaching is involved.

Sry didnt read question correctly, if they dont have a Shark then shuttles can be used but i think if there arent any assault boats then usually a boarding action doesnt take place, unless the vessel is already destroyed mostly.
Any idea what a plasma torch looks like, my main army is a pirate, count as tau, so i'm trying to give my pathfinders breaching gear and some survival equipment, i.e. axes, machetes, and kroot kit stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always just picture a plasma torch used by the Navy as basically looking like a modern day plasma torch just larger. sry for the lack of more specificity.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I always just picture a plasma torch used by the Navy as basically looking like a modern day plasma torch just larger. sry for the lack of more specificity.
You mean an acetylene torch? Most plasma torches, atleast those I know are pretty massive, other than the torch end, and are non portable (single man).

·
Registered
86 Posts
UUhh... yeah acetylene torch. lol. now that they are brought up the las cutters have been mentioned before, cant believe I forgot about those.

Also like u mentioned there are melta bombs which are often described as breaching tools as well, even for non sm, not for boarding but its also mentioned in Gaunts Ghosts that tube charges are used for breaching buildings. Krak bombs are also mentioned at times, though not in a space boarding context.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
And the Eldar/Dark Eldar have teleport tech to board ships, in addition to Terminators. Tau, if I remember vaugely, have a boarding drone that breaches the enemy ship hull.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Boarding torpedoes according to Battlefield Gothic.
I thought it was only SM that used Boarding torpedoes.

And the Eldar/Dark Eldar have teleport tech to board ships, in addition to Terminators. Tau, if I remember vaugely, have a boarding drone that breaches the enemy ship hull.
There has been mention of drones used in searching/breaching wreckage, so it's not that impossible for a combat version.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
I thought it was only SM that used Boarding torpedoes.
It was quite clear there that they were onboard the Emperor battleships. And last time I checked the Astartes didn't use those ships. :)

EDIT: I found proof that the IN use boarding torpedoes here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-aXA8fc5AQ8c2gtWkxFWWJWcjQ/edit at page 56. It was just not at the Emperor battleship as I thought but the Viper Class Missile Destroyer.

With the quotation coming here: During the Gareox Prerogative, many Cobra destroyers were converted to carrying boarding torpedoes...

At least that sentence proves my point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts