Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have kept up with some reading in my minuscule spare time between work, family, and grad school and an idea has been germinating. Following the first Games Workshop vs. Chapterhouse Studios decision, I wonder how good an army one could make from entirely 3rd party pieces, or almost all 3rd party parts?

When I have some time again it might be fun as an exercise to build say 1000 points of all non-gw stuff. I play Chaos so I'm sure i could do it, but I wonder how good it would look?

Has anyone else tried this with any armies? How well did it go?
Lessons learned? Pictures to show?

Cheers!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
It'd certainly be possible for a few forces, IG for example, there are quite a few alt companies (Dreamforge, Victoria Lamb minis, Max Mini etc) out there that would work.

A lot of fantasy armies especially could be very easily done.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It really depends on the army and how much of it you are proxying. It's also important that your opponent can tell what wargear the model has. I know a Tzeentch player who has very good alternative Daemon models. It's really easy to tell what they are replacing. Then again, Daemons don't have a lot of wargear modeling options. On the other hand, I know a Grey Knight/Dark Angel player who uses alt models for the Terminators in those armies. The models look good but he uses the same ones for each army and even he has gotten confused which model has what wargear. Just not enough difference in the models.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Fantasy armies can be made hideously easily from non GW minis (companies such as mantic, avatars of war, and then there's all the historical companies like Perry and fireforge)

40k armies all from 1 manufacturer are a little harder to do. Mantic again do quite a lot. dreamforge are a solid choice and the new raging heroes stuff would work once its released.

There are some armies, such as the tau, which are a little more difficult (using infinity minis would be an awesome, but expensive, route)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Im not really sure what bearing the courtcase in question has on building a non GW army? Anyway its fairly easy to build a non gw army, as any model you will field would be a proxy you could effectively field anything from any range from any manufacture,question would be why would you want to play 40k with an entirely proxied army of models? Unless your playing in your basement against friends you would struggle to get a game

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Im not really sure what bearing the courtcase in question has on building a non GW army? Anyway its fairly easy to build a non gw army, as any model you will field would be a proxy you could effectively field anything from any range from any manufacture,question would be why would you want to play 40k with an entirely proxied army of models? Unless your playing in your basement against friends you would struggle to get a game
There are plenty of people that simply don't like close enough to an actual gW store to go and game there regularly, for them not having GW models isn't a problem. In the 6 or 7 years I played 40k I only played it in a GW store (Warhammer world) twice.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I have a core GW "legal" army and then a whole heap of add on stuff that is largely other company's models that I use for club games.

Works pretty well.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
There are plenty of people that simply don't like close enough to an actual gW store to go and game there regularly, for them not having GW models isn't a problem. In the 6 or 7 years I played 40k I only played it in a GW store (Warhammer world) twice.
Very true, i have never played in store or at an event sanctioned by GW,but thats wasnt really my point, i was asking why the court case was a motivation to turn to alternati e manufactures to field an army with zero GW items to play a GW system?

Magpie's method is really how i see the best was to approach the hobby, but its not what the OP was looking for

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Looking at it now, i reckon you could with a bit of an effort build an entire Chaos Space Marine Chapter from non GW/Forgeworld gear.

This is also applies to Space Orks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Looking at it now, i reckon you could with a bit of an effort build an entire Chaos Space Marine Chapter from non GW/Forgeworld gear.

This is also applies to Space Orks.
Those are two of the most "convertible" armies out there (one of the reason modelers tend to gravitate towards them) and there are many other product lines that can replicate the look and feel of the figures. Imperial Guard are also pretty easy to construct with no/minimal GW parts, any historical or steampunk line of infantry with lasgun bits could be used to make a smart looking IG army.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Orks are easy too, third party fantasy or sci fi orks and a selection of third party bits would do it easily and well. Vehicles can come from anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts