Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Heretics once again I ask to sup at the grail of your collective knowledge and wisdom, and ask for advice on anti air options without using flyers. I know I know, the best A.A is another flyer but I hate the Space Marine flyer models and will not be getting one. I was thinking a mortis contemptor with cylone launcher and either auto cannon or assault cannon load out, pricey but dual purpose or missle devastators with flakk rounds, the stalker is cheap and cheerful but really is a mono task unit, your advice and experiences always welcome and thanks in advance Oldman xoxox

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
FMLs without Tank Hunter is less than satisfying (see Imperial Fist tactics), and with the changes to Interceptor I am less than impressed by the Stalker/Hunter tanks despite still being interested in Savant Lock. In my Dark Angel army I play two Mortis Dreadnoughts with two twin linked lascannons each. Works quite nicely, but I don't know how the other ones match up. AP2 is nice with the new damage chart.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
my only opinion on AA whitout a flyer is "don't". Just ignore it. if you know you are facing flyer spam, then a dedicated AA unit is what it takes. Stalker or quadgun.
If you have to rely on snapshots to take it down, anything will be fine, dakkapred, riflenaught, some missilelaunchers, plasmaguns...
Otherwise you could be a scary asshole and ally with orks just for the Traktor cannon...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you have to rely on snapshots to take it down, anything will be fine
Even bringing 6 TLLC's I haven't brought a damn thing out of the sky with Snap Shots. If that's the way you're going with it you probably have better targets on the ground that you can hit and damage more effectively, so carry on the with 'ignore' tactic. Lots of times I have beaten out the effectiveness of fliers merely by being fast enough to get on their side of the table before they get on (playing BA this is a bit easier than with other SM chapters), forcing them to fly over me or come on in Hover mode where the option is possible. With the changes to Vector Strike this seems even more viable (though not tested in 7th), since Heldrakes and FMCs can't just swoop over me doing all the damage they want to dish out and move on.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
totally agree with ntaw. Flyers are just less scary, now.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
No worries :eek:k:

I'd be curious to hear how it goes for you, I've been running twin Stormravens for a while because of 6th and I'm looking forward to giving them a rest to change it up a bit. That's 400-460 points for other fun stuff!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I like Flakk missiles on scout squads. Gives the light AA fire option, and doesn't cost much, and doesn't take the ground option away. Or a Flakk Dev squad, but that is usually a tight area for marines.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Firestorm Redoubt.... With an extra Quad gun and the Upgrade for BS3. ~280 pts of "What flyers?"

Plus your Dev squad can sit in it and shoot out of the Bunker.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Fluff and model wise i really like the stalker, it's cheap and has some cool rules. You can take a pir of them for pittance as well.

Rules wise i'd agree with the don't bother option. With the changes in 7th even helldrakes can be dealt with by good positioning.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
if you dont like the models you could always convert them...i dont like the stormtalon model so i ripped it aprat chopped bits off..until it looked liked a plane

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
If your opponents are happy to play against Mortis Contemptors, they are easily one of the best options. Otherwise a Firestorm Redoubt is actually an excellent choice.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
cheaper version: quad gun with Flakk missile launcher scouts.

Mechanised option: Hunter/stalker, but with their singular usefulness can prove a waste of points.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I don't understand the attraction of Flakk Scouts. 20pts for a BS3 S7 shot with no relevant AP without Interceptor. And the rest of the unit can't shoot at anything else. Not a good choice.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Not a good choice.
Repeated for added effect. Against AV12 fliers (not what everyone faces, but what I solely face) it's just a waste of points. More so now that the Damage Chart has changed and AP4 weaponry just isn't as effective now at taking out armour.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
20 points on a cheap troop choice. It's affordable, and fliers will tend to avoid other targets for those with AA weapons. I agree the other scout weapons are useless, but usually I arm them with sword and pistol, and am used to that.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I think 5 armed with bolters/snipers and with a heavy bolter they can at least harass whittled down MEQ units or Jetbike equivalents with non-ignorable fire that the opponent has to either avoid or risk losing a scoring unit to a morale check. Better than a Flakk missile the enemy completely ignores and has little-to-no chance of actually causing significant harm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.