Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have been throwing around some ideas for a Empire army that I would love to have some feedback on and how well it would work in game. I have no list ready but what I have been thinking of an army without fable creatures or any fantasy elements. I realy like the idea of a ordinary human army facibg extraordinary opposition.

So how would an army of helbardies, handgunners, cannons and mounted pistolers fare in battle?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Hello!
I have been throwing around some ideas for a Empire army that I would love to have some feedback on and how well it would work in game. I have no list ready but what I have been thinking of an army without fable creatures or any fantasy elements. I realy like the idea of a ordinary human army facibg extraordinary opposition.

So how would an army of helbardies, handgunners, cannons and mounted pistolers fare in battle?
That's a good question, I've yet to build my own army yet, but, from playing with friends and using their armies, it seems like he who shows up without magic of some form may regret it.

Factually, I originally proposed such a list to friends of mine that had Generals, Captains, Engineers, State Troops, Knights, Tanks, Cannons, Guns, and Sharp Sticks. I was derailed on this train of thought as to them stating they would trounce me in all the games we would eventually play.

I've somewhat resigned to believing them as they've played FB for such a long time now and do know what they're talking about.

However, if someone did do a non-magic army, they would probably be a very experienced player who would know how to deal with the magic elements of the opponent's army

·
Super Moderator
8,563 Posts
To an extent it depends on the points level of the game.

Magic is much more random at low levels. Your opponent will have a low level wizard, so could end up: having a single spell that is not very useful or having a single spell that is useful but needs many dice so risks a miscast.

Even if they do have a spell to use, the split of casting to dispell dice will leave them either risking a big miscast or you overwhelming it with dispell dice.

So against armies that don't have lots of cheap wizards, you could ignore magic at low levels.

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are 2 main problems I see w/ Empire & no magic:
1) Empire stats are, as expected, the epitome of average. There are a lot of spells that target one characteristic or another. Having 50% of any unit wiped out because every model had to make a S/T/I/Ld check is no good.
2) Even at low levels, there are a lot of armies that have access to cheap lord level casters. I play a lot of small sided games and regularly see lvl 3 & 4 casters vs my lvl 1 or 2 at 1000pts. But that's what I get for playing some version of Chaos. :biggrin:

That being said, you do still get dispel dice. You just won't have any casters to add their level to the dispel attempt. So save those dice for the spells that matter or don't get IFed. There's something to be said for knowing your opponent's army as well as they do.

Also, using fast cav and skirmishers to do some sneaky double flees to bring the enemy in close to your BS-based shooting and hellblasters can also really help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts