Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my DIY Chapter's background, the Chapter Master and Chief Librarian both give up their names and remove all mention of who they were before they took on the position. Instead, they take on a ceremonial title, in this case the Malleus and Incus, respectively.
The idea behind this is so that the individual Astartes can't have his head and ego swelled by pride and conciet, instead it is the Chapter that takes the glory with the title-holder working not for himself, or his own legend, but instead for Humanity and the Chapter.
The reason I've not put this in Homebrew is that I'm looking for someone to come up with a cool name for this giving-up of a name. So far I've come up with the 'Decree Nomine Nuncus'. But I'm sure that there's something better out there; problem is I'm too stuck on this first name and can't think around it anymore. So, do any other Heretics out there have any better ideas? Ideally I'd like to keep it as a High Gothic name, or at least close. The tradition originates from the accession of the first Chapter Master drawn from the Chapter's own ranks during the Third Founding- I include this info just in case it stimulates any ideas.
Thanks for the help!

GFP

·
Registered
152 Posts
Catholic books are stamped with several titles of approval:

Imprimatur-let it be printed
Imprimi potest-it can be printed

Either of these sounds like a great tile for the Librarian.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The name of the Chapter is the 'Hammers of Terra', so, as obvious as it is, I'm going with the CM and CL being the Malleus (hammer) and Incus (anvil) respectively. (I've included the translations for anyone who might read this and not know them.) However, the Catholic words do sound quite cool (as a once Roman Catholic you'd think I'd be familiar with them wouldn't you?)- I might use them as part of the Incus' speech patterns or, maybe more appropriately use them along with the Reclusiarch.
In fact, as I'm asking people to think for me, can anyone come up with a cool name for the office of Reclusiarch, bearing in mind the theme I've started with the other two high-rankers?

GFP

·
Registered
152 Posts
How about Caminus(Forge) for the Reclusiarch. The Hammer and Anvil names give off the impression of a blacksmith. A forge then seems appropriate, especially for the Chaplains as they "forge" the minds of the new recruits.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shmabadu: that is a really good idea (and +rep, also). I wonder, as you seem to have a bit of the old know-wots going on, how would you say 'The Forger'? I mean, I can talk about 'The Malleus' and mean 'The Hammer'. But if I say 'The Caminus', then I'm just calling him 'The Forge' (which is still really nice- quite remote and impersonal to one outside the Chapter). It's a real nitpick I know, and I don't mean to snub my nose at your great idea. Would you know what the 'Forger/Forge of Minds' is?
Still, Caminus is top notch. I'll leave the floor open for more suggestions, but Caminus is going to be hard to top!
And while I'm using other people to do my thinking for me, are there any cool ideas for other Chapter offices? I've got the Sammael model who is going to be the Company Captain of the 6th/7th/8th Coy; I was going to call him the Huntsmaster, but that is treading too much on the White Scars toes. Then there are all the other Captains... It's a fire-sale! Every title must go!

GFP

·
Registered
75 Posts
Going along with the whole forged thing, perhaps you could name them after things a blacksmith would forge i.e.

Mucro - The Sword
Securis - The Axe

It could depend on their roles within your fluff like, a captain mainly used for close combat could be called "Securis"(The Axe), and one thats particularly adept at ranged combat could be "Telum"(The Bolt)

Hell you could even have a lucky captain called "Ferrum" (The Horseshoe)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Norm, I love the 'Unforged'! (+rep)
Snoopy, brilliant ideas. I especially like Securis and Ferrum. Telos could be the title for my Jetbike-mounted Captain. (+rep, also).

GFP

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad you like em! :)

I used an online translator so id get someone to double check the meanings before using them though

·
Registered
152 Posts
I believe caminus is a noun an can't be conjugated as a verb. Just like in English you don't say ovener for someone who uses a oven, you say baker or cook, etc. A man who uses a Caminus (forge) is a Ferrarius (blacksmith). Which is a cool name , but not as cool as Caminus in my opinion. Plus if you think of the literal translation, doesn't it denote a subservience to the Chaplain, he is the blacksmith who wields the hammer and uses the anvil as tools, making him seem superior to the CM and CL. Another option is to use Ferrarius as the name they give to the Primarch or the Chapter founder, he is the one who brought the Forge, hammer and Anvil together, but I don't know how far you want to go with the whole blacksmith thing. Hope this was useful and thanks for the rep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts