Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strange, the new High elf dragon princes, phoenix guard and white lions have been released and I haven't seena single person so much as mention them in passing.

not that I care about fantasy just seems weird they've been ignored completely, like there existence has been denied.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440062a

but then at £25 for 10 models I can see why its denied.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't look as far as page 3 for a release rumor, so thats why I didn't see them, though at £2.50 a model I can see why its been buried 3 pages down.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
That's actually much better per model than we were paying. I like the box sets, personally. Already traded off a few of my Maiden Guard for a couple boxes. There is no way I'd pay those old prices, but if it came down to cash I would spring for the new price.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's actually much better per model than we were paying.
"were" being the main word, when you look at when the greatswords were released it was actually cheaper to get 20 metals than 20 plastics, and in this case when its costing you £50 for 20 plastic models I'm afraid "were" just doesn't cut it, £50 is still far too much.

and I don't wanna hear all this bullshit about price=game balance, or its because the molds cost allot of money, armybooks/codex=game balance, and when you have smaller companies selling 60 plastics for £20 then I seriously doubt molds are the issue either.

its not better than what we were paying, it was an insult then, and its worse now.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
"Nobody talking about the new HE releases?"

The first rule of Elf Club is you DO NOT TALK about Elf Club.
:laugh: Hehe... That was weird...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yes, the price is still sky high but as it saves most players about $20 per 10 models that's a saving grace. Also, it makes it a lot easier for players to jump into high elves as no one is just going to run 5 Phoenix Guard or White Lions. A $40 price tag is scary as heck but it hurts a lot less than $60.

It was horrible, but now it is only bad. Definitely a step in the right direction, if only a step. Fantasy is much more expensive than 40k in this respect, which is terrible due to the emphasis on large blocks of infantry.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was horrible, but now it is only bad. Definitely a step in the right direction, if only a step. Fantasy is much more expensive than 40k in this respect, which is terrible due to the emphasis on large blocks of infantry.
whats that smell?...smells like...conspiracy.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
damm and i thought someone had farted again.
TBH if i want a HE army, i would probaly build the bulk up with cheaper mantic models, i know they dont look great, but then for mass blocks of troops, there ideal

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
whats that smell?...smells like...conspiracy.
Yeah i had noticed that with emphasis on large units and the cost per model for elite units, fantasy is £rape.99 compared to 40k. Which is a shame cus i'd like to get into fantasy more.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Yes, the price is still sky high but as it saves most players about $20 per 10 models that's a saving grace. Also, it makes it a lot easier for players to jump into high elves as no one is just going to run 5 Phoenix Guard or White Lions. A $40 price tag is scary as heck but it hurts a lot less than $60.

More expensive, but not for the same reason. The army size is larger. Some units are also cheaper - Goblins/Slaves @2pts each, and having a minimum size of 20 meaning that a standard 2000pt army requires 250 of them without upgrades. Thanks to upgrades, you're looking at only 150-175.

When you can get 15 Goblins for the same price as 2 Phoenix Guard, you can quit your whining. The plastics are considerably better, and meld reasonably with White Lions, Dragon Princes, Spearmen, Archers, and Noble sets.

So, yes. Whine away. But I am fairly sure that my bitz box is considerably fuller with the plastic sets additions.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
So, yes. Whine away. But I am fairly sure that my bitz box is considerably fuller with the plastic sets additions.
Haha, I'm the one in favor of the new boxes! High cost is the nature of this hobby, its a fact of life I've come to accept. I'm just glad that my boxes are cheaper now.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Thread seems to have very little to do with the release and more about dredging up the very long and very boring GW price subject yet again!!,all three units are cheaper then they were and the £18 for the dragon princes is a massive saving compared to the £35 price tag they had previously.
You can moan about the prices all you want but this release is a price cut if you are a high elf player plain and simple.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thread seems to have very little to do with the release and more about dredging up the very long and very boring GW price subject yet again!!
well since the main problem is the price of them, what did you think was gonna be talked about?
You can moan about the prices all you want but this release is a price cut if you are a high elf player plain and simple.
yeah, of about £5 per 10 models, thats not really a price cut, it should be at least £10 saving per 10 models, there plastic after all.

you cannot defend £25 for 10 plastic models, sure the dragon princes aren't too bad, although the models are rather meh to me, but you won't be able to afford the dragon princes after taking out a loan just to get 20 guard and 20 white lions, which model wise aren't too impressive, though it may be the cartoon paintjob ruining them.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
well since the main problem is the price of them, what did you think was gonna be talked about?

yeah, of about £5 per 10 models, thats not really a price cut, it should be at least £10 saving per 10 models, there plastic after all.

you cannot defend £25 for 10 plastic models, sure the dragon princes aren't too bad, although the models are rather meh to me, but you won't be able to afford the dragon princes after taking out a loan just to get 20 guard and 20 white lions, which model wise aren't too impressive, though it may be the cartoon paintjob ruining them.
Why is the price a main problem? if you wanted to buy the two "over priced" kits last month it would have been £2.50 more for the same 10 models, so the new releases cost less, how is that a main problem ?

As for defending 10 plastics for £25, i would take detailed multipart plastic kit over a 1 peace metal kit every time, but the difference is you may see the models simply as counters to play the game and the block of infantry has little value at 3ft other than its in game use, but as someone more into the artsy crafty side of the hobby,i see the building and painting as the fun bit, so i want the flexibility to build minis the way i want that plastic offers.

And again if i needed a loan to buy 20 of each of these new guard and white lions for my high elf army at least i would be happy in the knowledge the loan i need today is lower than the loan i needed last month to buy the metals and i will have some nice left over parts to customise my other double cheap units from island of blood.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts