Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why so few tunnelling units?

Tyranids seem to understand that there is an underground, but most other armies seem transfixed on flying and above ground. Surely someone would be using underground APCs.

I think there were some old imperial units which tunnelled, mole mortars?

So where have all the tunnellers gone, surely it would be easier to make such vehicles over complicated flyers?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
In Epic the IG had various sized tunnelers, from squad to company transports, so maybe they'll show up in the next codex. There really isn't too much else left to put into it. Or maybe GW have decided that tunnelers are more in the remit of nids than any other army, and they will keep them as their own.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Epic had termites and moles for the imperials.
A mole mortar was a gun that shot underground and I think was available for space marines and the guard, also I think squats could take them. But this was 20 years ago so a bit rusty on the specifics, don't know which edition they left probably when the squats left.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
In the Vraks siege Guard list there is the Tunneller vehicle based off the Cyclops, used to dig holes. There is a lot of underground conflict listed there.

Battlezone Mortalis rules easily represent tunnel fighting.

Apocalypse has a model for a Counts As Drop Pod being the Termite.

Having said that, what would be different? Would it be to allow a troop to treat it as a Dedicated Transport? I.e Could a Trygon or Mawloc be a dedicated transport for Raveners, Gaunts, Rippers etc? What about for SM? What would be the mechanical difference between a Drop Pod and a Termite? That it could move afterwards?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Why so few tunnelling units?
Tunneling would be far, far slower than flying; would be just as dangerous, if not more so (the threat coming from collapses and other geological phenomena rather than AA); would be difficult to deploy from orbit (the starting point of most Imperial conflicts); and would ultimately have little more than niche use as a transport.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I would like to see more tunneling, but make it a niche thing for Nids. The Mawloc is awesome, and Ravenors tunneling too it creates a little niche for them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If tunnelling was an easier method of transportation than flying wouldn't we have tunnelers as a method of transportation?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Lexicanum mentions a heresy-era Ordinatus engine that was a collosal tunneler.

Ordinatus Priam - a huge tunnelling machine purpose-built for the siege of Priam during the Horus Heresy. It was designed to dig down to the planet's crust and move through the white-hot lava beneath. It transported four companies of Imperial Guard to enter Priam after bypassing its defenses, but parts of its shielding failed during the operation, causing it irreparable damage.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was thinking the Imperium would have had sapping technology during the HH, as I haven't read about any real sieges in WH40K, unless it's a xenos species attacking an Imperial fortification.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Read Storm of Iron or the Siege of Castellax then.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been focusing on the HH novels lately and haven't moved to the 40K chaos novels. Related to the OP, do you know of any 40K books that still require Imperial forces to lay siege to a fortress?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been focusing on the HH novels lately and haven't moved to the 40K chaos novels. Related to the OP, do you know of any 40K books that still require Imperial forces to lay siege to a fortress?
The recently released ebook shortie Stormlord features a siege with imperial forces on the besieiging side. A quite good read. Loosely related to Baneblade.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
You can take a page from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with the digging-machines used there. Or the subterran APC which the Brotherhood of NOD uses as Imperial counter-tech to the tyranid Macaw. Also you have the other things.

At a related but maybe less fluffy reason I had my hero in my fanfiction once take out a Macaw with a Hellhound, some melta bombs and a thumper like in dune.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts