Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Other Kingdoms

Ok I was going over the warhammer world on lexicanum, I noticed it mentioning an island off the coast of Cathy called Nippon, I'm assuming that's warhammer's version of Japan, not to mention that's also the Japanese name for it and is in the same position. Does anybody know anything about it other than the name.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
I know a few players who have an "Niponese" army using the Empire rulebook (and not taking steam tanks) some fantastic work has gone into making them and on the table they look amazing

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know a few players who have an "Niponese" army using the Empire rulebook (and not taking steam tanks) some fantastic work has gone into making them and on the table they look amazing
Do you have any pics?
I'm having my VC army be based on a traveling necromancer, count as VC since I found out the GW nerfed the nec, so I can have kit bash to my hearts content.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It was back in the day around 2nd Edition I think, GW did a small range of nippon models mainly of ninja's they were pretty fun to use

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Fair enough. I was always under the impression that they were trained in Cathay.

Obviously I am wrong. Thanks for updating that info for me.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok what year, in our calendar, is warhammer roughly. I know it's set during the Renaissance, but that's 4 centuries.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
It's completely different all over.

Bretonnia is ~12th-14th Century, Empire is ~15th-17th Century. The Norse are distinctly Dark Age, pre-9th Century, while the Albion peoples are roughly described as neolithic with a semi-trogloditic attitude. The Estalian's were not capable of pushing out the Arabyan's, which is akin to the period of the Crusades and the relevant era or southern spain - so ~11th Century, while Tilea is around ~12th-15th Century.

Then there's the other races, such as the Classical Era Remas Republic, Khyprian Empire, and the pre-Sigmar tribes.

Nippon is based on the Samurai, and as the typical samurai is Warring States Japan, that makes the obvious fit.

Cathay is based on the Dynasties, which are fairly unbroken, following the defeat of the Mongol tribes in the Chinese mainland.

So, you've got a general period of 900 AD to 1700 AD.

The general consensus is;

Ashigaru Pikes and Bows = State Spears and Bowmen
Samurai = Greatswords/Halberds
Samurai Matchlocks - Handgunners
Yari Samurai - Lance Knightly Orders
Mounted Samurai - Great Weapon Knightly Orders
Rocket Batteries - erm... the Volley Gun

If you don't like that era, then you can always go earlier.

For example, I don't like the Dynasties of China for Cathay, I much prefer the Three Kingdoms.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
843 Posts
Araby is largely the WFB equivalent of the peoples of the Middle East. As with Nippon and Cathy, there is not a whole lot out in terms of official stuff for them from either GW or the BL however they are mentioned a little more in the fluff and the Warmaster game has an Arabian army and an Arabian ship is featured in Dreadfleet. And like Nippon and Cathy and other less known WFB human civilizations there are fanmade rulebooks online.

Beyond that I can tell you that Araby been around for a long, long time. If I recall correctly they were around when Nehekhara was still a realm of the living and were (and still are) old enemies of the Nehekharan Kings. In the past there have been major wars between Araby and the northern human civilizations AKA the Crusades. Their culture is largely based off ancient Middle Eastern civilizations and beliefs. They do have Djinns under their control though I'm not exactly sure of the nature of these creatures.

That's about all I can remember about the official fluff but you can find more out there on the internet and in fanmade books.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
The "Desert Peoples" were nomads at the time shortly following the creation of the Nehekharan Empire under Settra, although the land had been long civilised and the cities had been created by the successive rulers. Bel Aliad, I think it is, was the furthest east of the Desert Peoples, initially as a nomad country.

Whether the Desert Peoples were the original peoples who continued West when the Nehekharans settled is not known.

The two regularly fought, and even today, the Arabians raid Nehekhariya as they call it for gold.

The Arabians a few hundred years ago (1400 IC?) were ruled by a Sultan Jaffar (I believe he did marry the princess, despite being so old), and invaded Estalia - the Breton King declared an Errantry War, and indeed, many Empire Knightly Orders joined in - although more for the wealth - and raped them from Estalia and destroyed his power at the battle of El Haikk.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 23 Posts