Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
haven't used it but don't need to. In comparison to Prisms or Falcons, no. You lose out on the awesome survivaiblity/dakka of the Falcon (+ scoring) and the versatility of the Prisms. Night Spinners wreck havoc on horde lists but Eldar need no help there with their speed & armor & S6 masses. The dangerous movement is what is the kicker but not worth taking over a Prism & Falcon. If in FA, yes :p with perhaps Ap6 (or 5) and Ord barrage status so it's at least likely to shake vehicles and can scare non-moving infantry such as IG. It then becomes a very good disrupter and anti-castle tank.

I've covered what I think are some necessary changes & analysis more in-depth here.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've used it in three games so far.

One Apocalypse game where it shined quite well, even without me remembering the Pinning effect caused by Barrage. So it might have done even better.

One normal 40k game vs Daemons and it whittled down a few squads of Bloodletters which led to denied objectives and weak advances.

One against a Plague Marine/lesser Daemon Spam where it managed a reasonable handful of Plaguemarine kills (yay rending a Doomed unit), a good handful of Daemon kills, and Immobilized a Rhino and a Land Raider.

So, I would say that having just one may be worth it. Afterall, having 2 more slots is enough to get the typically desired effects out of that area. It really depends on your list composition though, as usual.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I think it's a useful addition to the armory. While the Fire Prism offers excellent anti-vehicle capability, the Eldar aren't exactly short on other things that do that job equally well. Fire Dragons, Falcons, and even Wave Serpents with bright lances all can handle vehicles and monstrous creatures. However, there's not anything (until now) in the armory that is not only a fast unit, but gives the Eldar a further speed advantage by slowing the enemy advance. General anti-infantry ability is never a bad thing to have, either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had two games with so far and its supprised me its not the strenght of the gun its not the rending its the web thing wich so far have had a psychological effect on my opponent.

The dangerous terrain test is only failed on 1's wich any one can make is not that very good, but the dice works in mysterious ways in my first battle I fought against vanilla marines and I shoot at a 8 man terminator squad with librarian and managed to rend 3 times and only one made its save, following movement I managed to kill one more and put a wound on the librarianthe second time I shot at the squad I did not manage t kill any one but in the movement two more failed their terrain tests:)biggrin:lady luck smiles at me:biggrin:). Turn three shot no one killed but this time he did not move his squad because of previously bad dice rolling.
He never managed to use his gate of infinity to move his terminator around because of runes of warding.

Second battle against chaos I managed to make 4 rending attacks on a 7 man doomed zerker squad and what happened in the movement phase, a failed terrain test.

My FLGC already hate the night spinner:eek:k:

My oppinion after two battles: The night spinner would have been so much better if it were str 1 since with doom and the amount of modells you can fit under the template can make a nasty combo with rending. The only good thing with it is the web rule wich is actually kinda meh but new toys are so much more fun to play with.

Note: I love rending and rending loves me and I lost both battles

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
As I've said before it's opportunity cost is the big disadvantage of the unit. It's not a bad tank at all but in HS it means less Fire Prisms , Falcons, Wraithlords or War Walkers. It's just not worth it on that basis.

Aramoro

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everything has a place in a list!

If your taking those Walkers, you aren't taking those Prisms/Falcons. Personally, my lists tend to be taking 2 Falcons these days. Tough and potentially scoring, with all the Lance and Dragon spamming I do in my comp lists I can afford that last slot open to help with hordes. My troops are going to put out too few shots to do it on their own.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
if I had any reason to start space elves I know for a fact I would take at least 1 without a second thought, competing with prisms and falcons and such isn't an issue at all in my opinion, there are plenty of other options from other FOC slots that can make up the slack of losing 1 or 2 HS choices

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would definitely use this tank in spearhead games because it should do well against the small amount of infantry used to support the tanks and hold objectives (and they do that well since most tanks will be equipped to kill other tanks and not infantry, in my experience anyway). Keep in mind that its monofilament web rule works if the squad moves for ANY REASON, and that it is a barrage weapon so you dont need LOS to fire it, and since its manned by guardians scattering the full 2D6" shouldnt matter too much. Plus the rending means you can use it on tanks in a pinch. I wouldnt rely on the rending though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts