Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since traitor legion hit, I’ve been trying to come up with an armyI like for my Night Lords.
I was using the black legion rules to run them but since there areactual night lords rules now, then I’m going to try to make the best of them.Although this has meant giving up MoS, FNP, the quicksilver blade and the eyeof night :(
I have plenty of emperors children so at some point I’m going tomake a blastmaster/fnp list. I also have plenty of word bearers so at somepoint I’ll try summoning spam with them. So I want to keep this pure NL.

I’m not sold on the raptor talon. No D/S mitigation and disorderedcharge put me off that a bit. So I’ve gone for the chaos warband.

If I take the storm prince with tzeentch that’s re-rollable 2+armour and re-rollable 2+ cover.

I’ve looked at the psychic disciplines and decided on going for asmuch telepathy on the DP as possible. The new disciplines are interesting, butthey tend to have 1 or 2 very good powers, an ok primaris and some duff powers.I’ve tried to look at the disciplines as a whole to determine which is mostuseful for me. I think the new disciplines work better on sorcerers without marksso you can actually have a 50/50 chance of getting the power you’re after. Intelepathy, only dominate is a bit pointless. I can use the rest happily.

Psychic Shriek is useful.
Dominate isn’t really useful. Most units you’d like to use it onhave high enough leadership not to care about it.
Mental Fortitude is useful – if you go to ground turn one withnight lords you get +1 cover save (formation), + 1 stealth. So you get a 5+ inthe open. If you’re actually in cover or can get shrouding on them then you canget 3+ or even 2+ cover. Mental Fortitude will then stand that squad straightback up. If you have a squad behind the one that’s gone to ground they get another2+ bonus for being shot through another squad.
Terrify is ok – if you’re fighting an army that can be affected byleadership. If you’re fighting an army affected by leadership then it juststacks nicely with all the other leadership mods that the Night Lords bring.
Shouding – is great.
Invisibilty – is just evil
Hallucination is useful on 2 of the three rolls. A pinning test won’tdo much but -1 to WS, BS, I and A will give my raptors an edge against a unitin cc and the ‘you’re a traitor’ might remove a sergeant so I don’t have to autochallenge in cc

So the plan for the list is to deep strike in the terminators andthe individual obliterators – on operation break vehicles. If I can break theenemy armour, then the heldrakes can burn everything in sight.
The two squads of raptors are going to go up the centre with the DPas a distraction force. If I can string the squads out and have them both inlines, I can gtg with the front squad and then the squad behind with the lordin it will get a 2+ save in the open due to units targeting them having to firethrough the first unit. That’d give me 5+unit, +1 formation, +1stealth.
Then the lord can switch units and both can move again – IIRC.

The oblits with the warpsmith will start in cover – so they shouldget 3+ or 2+ cover save to go with the 2+ armour. Night Vision means they’llignore the stealth from nightfighting with their shooting and have long enoughrange guns on turn one to use it.

While I don’t see any of the xeno armies across the board so I can’tuse fear, it also means I won’t be hard countered by ignore cover tau :D

So my actual question is – have I missed anything?

Either rules or good units I could be using or rules I’ve gotwrong?

Night Lords 2000

Lord of the Legion

Deamon Prince
Daemon Of Tzeentch
Stormbolt Plate
Mastery Level 3
Wings
Spell Familiar

Chaos Warband

Chaos Lord
Jump Pack
Scourging Chains
Lightning Claw
Powerfist
Melta Bombs
Sigil Of Corruption

3 x Chaos Terminators
3 x Combi-melta
3 x Power Axe

10 Raptors
Aspiring Champion
Lightning Claw
2 x Meltagun

9 Raptors
Aspiring Champion
Lightning Claw
Melta Bombs
2 x Meltagun

4 Chaos Bikers
2 x plasma gun
Aspiring Champion
Power Fist

Helbrute
Multi Melta
Power Scourge

Heldrake Terror Pack
2 x Heldrake
2 x Baleflamer

Cult of Destruction
Warspmith
Aura of Dark Glory

2 x Obliterators

1 x Obliterator

1 x Obliterator

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hi Gret, how do you do?
i agree with your considerations on psy powers and daemon princes.
The army is actually pretty good, but i just cannot like the two big raptors units... night lord bikers are actually pretty nasty.
I'd rather have 2 small raptors units and a bigger biker unit, assault oriented (since you WILL be jinking a lot). the lord too could benefit more from a bike...
i know, it's not so fluffy... night lords should be all about raptors, not bikes :)
also, you could benefit more from 5 obsec autohavocs than from a melee helbrute (aka Dead Can Walking, being the only vehicle in your army!)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nef,
I'm fine, hows you? :)

Well, I was fine before I realised that although the NL can have raptors as troops, this doesn't mean I can swap the CSM's in the warband for raptors :(
Now I'm actually going to have to make and paint some csm's...

I like Dead Can Walking. I think you've just named my dread :D
he's there because my next game is in 3 weeks and I don't have time to paint my havocs, He stays in reserve, then comes on to scare any drop pod units/outflankers that arrive if I go second. If I go first he just wanders round being a target someone at some point will have to waste shooting on :D

The next list I did had 2 x 5 Raptor squads with dual melta and an 8 man bike squad led by a biker lord with the murder sword.

I have 10 csm bikes to repaint in total - one to use as the lord. What would be a good loadout for bikes? Should I go msu to max special weapons or go big and try to win in cc?

What would the best loadout for a biker lord be?
Without using the stormplate as that's for the dp :D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got my hands on the terminators/terminator lord box and I've been thinking about how best to run them...

I'm thinking (with the terminator annihilation force in mind)

4 x Combi-melta
3 x Power Axe
1 x Chainfist
1 x Heavy Flamer
1 x Chainfist

This means I can take 3 with combi weapons for termicide or if points allow the terminator annihilation force, I can melta a vehicle, then heavy flamer the contents.

So onto the termie lord.
I've been looking at relics to give him.
The Claws of the Black Hunt - I like them but not for a termie lord - the termie lord should be able to ruin most units and while the claws have rend, this won't deal reliably with anyone with a 2+.
The talons of the night terror - clearly in the fluff to be put on a raptor lord. However I couldn't find anything in the rules to stop them being taken by anyone else.
I love the idea of the termie lord putting on his shitkickers :D
Not too much actual use though. Random thought - on a deamon prince, do talons of the night terror become ap2 due to smash?

Anyway, back to termie fisticlaw I go...

With that in mind

Scourging chains isn't too useful - power/chainfist doesn't need shred, lightning claw already has it.
Vox deamonicus will be better on a support character as it has no increase to offensive capability. The -1 leadership is a nice idea, but as with fear, most armies just won't care.

Curze's orb will be useful - the ability to re-roll ones in cc should maximise the amount of hits he can get off.

Termie lord
Chainfist
Lightning Claw
Sigil Of Corruption
Curze's Orb

Have I missed anything?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bikes still won't be finished. My plan is eventually to run a either a warband with a cad to take either my decimator or storm eagle or a warband with Crimson Slaughter allies for deamon summoning. For my next game, I'll be facing Typhus with the Vectorium at some point.

So I made a fluffy list

Night Lords Murder Talon 2000pts

Raptor Talon

Chaos Lord
Lightning Claw, Powerfist, Sigil, Melta Bombs, Curze's Orb

10 Raptors
2 x Meltagun
LC and meltabombs on the champion

10 Raptors
2 x Meltagun
LC and meltabombs on the champion

10 Warp Talons
Gift of Mutation on the champion

Lord of The Legion
Daemon Prince
Stormbolt Plate
MoT
ML3
Familiar

Heldrake Terror Pack
2 x Heldrake
2 x Baleflamer

Cult of Destruction
Warpsmith
Vox Deamonicus
Aura of Dark Glory

2 x Obliterators

1 x Obliterator

1 x Obliterator

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Night Lords Murder Talon

Chaos Warband
Chaos Lord
Bike
Murder Sword
Melta Bombs
Sigil

3 x Terminators
Combi Melta
Power Axe

5 x Chaos Bikes
2 x Plasma Guns
Powerfist on the champion

4 x Chaos Bikes
2 x Plasma Gun
LC on champion

5 x Chaos Havocs
2 x Autocannon
2 x Missile Launcher

10 Chaos Marines
2 x Plasma Gun
Champion
Combi Plasma + Lightning Claw

10 Chaos Marines
Plasma Gun
Lascannon

Lord of the Legion
Daemon Prince
Stormbolt plate
MoT
Familiar
ML3

Heldrake Terror Pack
2 x Heldrake
2 x Baleflamer

Crimson Slaughter Allies
Sorcerer
ML3
Prophet of the Voices
Spell Familiar

5 x Possessed

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it worth taking a cad to take an aegis defence line?

That'd give a gunline NL army 3+ cover due to stealth. And any warband units behind it would get a 2+ on the first turn, even though the cad troops wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
honestly, if the board has no 4+ cover available in deployment areas, we are not playing the same game! :grin:

imo, an aegis is not worth 160 pts as a minimum tax...you'd better take a sicaran to shield your models...
if you need the aegis+comm relay to assure reserve rolls, then yes, but just for cover..nah.

EDIT: also, why the crimson slaughter allies?? better to add another drake: it will actually do something!

Reactions: Gret79

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
honestly, if the board has no 4+ cover available in deployment areas, we are not playing the same game! :grin:

imo, an aegis is not worth 160 pts as a minimum tax...you'd better take a sicaran to shield your models...
if you need the aegis+comm relay to assure reserve rolls, then yes, but just for cover..nah.

EDIT: also, why the crimson slaughter allies?? better to add another drake: it will actually do something!
Crimson Slaughter Allies - The psyker gets to only perils on 6's again as he gets the daemon rule due to prophet of the voices and the possessed are surprisingly survivable. CS possessed get shrouded/3++ or beasts IIRC

They're there for mini summoning spam - I get an obsec possessed squad which over the course of a game can spit out up to 6 squads of Obsec deamons or get a 2++ with cursed earth etc. Or if I'm losing and I have the power, spit out a greater deamon.
It's a nice defensive unit for me which can generate enough extra units to hold all my objectives while I send everything else forwards :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
ooh, i see. In this case i can understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts