Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terminator Lord, Lightning Claws (130 points)

Terminator x4, Combiweapon x2, Heavy Flamer, Powerfist (145 points)

Land Raider, Daemonic Possession (240 points)

Chaos Raptors x8, Meltagun x2, Icon of Chaos Glory, Champ, Powerfist (230 points)

Chaos Space Marines x10, Meltagun x2, Icon of Chaos Glory, Champ, Power Fist, Rhino (255 points)

Chaos Space Marines x10, Meltagun x2, Icon of Chaos Glory, Champ, Power Fist, Rhino (255 points)

Chaos Space Marines x10, Flamer x2, Icon of Chaos Glory, Champ, Power Fist, Rhino (245 points)

I'm still tinkering with Night Lords. They are the Legion that got me interested in 40k so I feel loyal to them. I just can't win with them.

I recently have considered adding terminators a land raider and a terminator lord. These can be cut from the list with little regret. My list is in dire need of long range support.

I would love to add more raptors because I have come across a ton of 'nid gargoyle wings that look great. I have enough to make 20 raptors!

So I don't need to make this list super competitive as it is its just extremely underpowered.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
long range firepower & night lords dont mix well unfortunately

best i would say would be to add some vindicators instead of a LR

give your lord a jump pack (or wings) instead of termie armor...personally i think that MoS would fit in perfectly with NLs (reason for it being more agile or something)

maybe a squad of bikes with meltas?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
you're needing mobile cover or more targets to take the pressure off your CSM squads.

2nd biggest issue: at 1500 pts. you're sinking 515 pts. into your HQ.

i would dare say you're HQ is ignored until your CSM squad are forced to walk across the board, then they're pie-plated or sniped to death, and when your LR is the last thing left everything that's a tank killer in your list opens fire at it.

here's and idea:

HQ: Chaos Lord (1#, 140 pts)
Personal Icon; Mark of Slaanesh; Lightning Claws (pair); Combi-melta

Elite: Chaos Terminators (3#, 355 pts)
1 Terminator Power Weapon x1; Combi-melta x1
1 Terminator Chain Fist; Heavy Flamer x1
1 Land Raider Daemonic Possession

Elite: Chaos Terminators (3#, 355 pts)
1 Terminator Chain Fist; Heavy Flamer x1
1 Land Raider Daemonic Possession

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (10#, 225 pts)
9 Chaos Space Marines Meltagun x2
1 Aspiring Champion Power Fist

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (10#, 225 pts)
9 Chaos Space Marines Meltagun x2
1 Aspiring Champion Power Fist

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (10#, 195 pts)
10 Chaos Space Marines Flamers x2
1 Rhino

lets you keep your 3 Troops, now you have two LRs on the field the Lord has IoS just for the I6, but you can drop it if you want.

the termicide is there to dedicate the transports and give you a boost in CC, leaving your Heavies open if you want to drop one squad and take two Oblits; TBH, you could drop the termies and attempt to take your Raptor squad, since with this set up you don't have any Heavies. attach your Lord to that even.

just an idea.

good hunting.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Mmm, Night Lords is a toughie, It's hard to recreate that ambush idea... Just do what Inquis said, but also just try giving most things IoS, for the extra initiative, to try and recreate the idea of the 'Lords ambushing people, rather than straight up driving across the field! :grin:

Good Warring :wild:

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Mmm, Night Lords is a toughie, It's hard to recreate that ambush idea...
This is so true, without the old codex rules for the Night Lords they have really been hurting. I would suggest playing Pre Heresy "Night Lords" and play under the blood angels codex to be totally honest with you. That way you can have more effect and more of a variety of jump troops and at the same time you can still make it Viable while still keeping it fluffy.

I dont know if you have checked it out but Check out this site for more info for the fluff purposes

·
4,491 Posts
Id say use the Blood Angels codex, and stick with things that are only available to Chaos (no land speeders, Razorbacks, etc).

Sanguinary Guard can be like Chosen, Sanguinary Priests could be like a Spawn/Mutant/Possessed, and jump infantry can be... well... jump infantry.
Dante could even work as some Night Lords character, thus allowing an army of specialized Chosen (Sanguinary Guard).

While personally i would rather people stick with their own codices, it is actually fairly hard to write a fluffy Night Lords list with the CSM codex, while using the Blood Angels codex you can write a list that fits the fluff absolutely perfectly and not get your arse kicked each and every game.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Don't use other codicies for Chaos Marine armies. That is so stupid.
You mean aside from sticking with a substandard unit in a generally substandard build from a substandard codex in a substandard edition?

Might be fun for the odd friendly game, but as soon as you start going to play other people who'll bring in their Jump Pack Dreadnoughts and Vulkan He'Stan spams, you'll soon stop having fun.

If you're using C:CSM, Raptors with IoS, backed up by a Sorceror with Lash and Wings, and a Lord with MoS, Wings and LC's could go far.

I'd also go for the Possessed Rhino's, CSMs with Plasma's/Flamers and Infiltrating Chosen with Meltas in Possessed Rhino's.

For Blood Angels, I don't have it, so can't really suggest, other than that The Sanguinor/Honour Guard could well represent Winged Chosen.

Also +1 for the Night Lords. They always were forgotten compared to my mates Dedicated, Word Bearers, and Iron Warriors.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Don't use other codicies for Chaos Marine armies. That is so stupid.
Thats what I meant, I mean use all the special jump infantry dont use speeders and what not. How is it stupid? Im giving him an option that will allow him to play a competitive list and still remain fluffy. The only thing stupid here my friend is your narrow minded attitude. People do the opposite all the time mix and match bits from different armies to make some wild models is that "Stupid" too?

Chaosftw

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yeah, like people are saying, For friendly games, use a BA codex, and make a project out of converting BA into NL; And play by the BA rules. BA are the best choice you have in terms of making an ambush army... With predators that can come on behind the enemy, and Practically everything can Deepstrike/outflank in the BA; Atleast the BA guy i play against manages to do that.

:wild:

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
I concur! I think the BA codex would be the best way to go! Super charged rhinos and baals, Deep striking stuff and jump packs! I would use it straight as well no mix matching! If not then rhinos, with squads and special weapons, flamers and meltas then bikes and slannesh raptors! Lord same as raptors with mark of slannesh and LC's! Heavy weapons are a prob unless you stick some in a chosen unit!?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got a copy of the Blood Angels codex and I'm giving it some thought. Something just feels wrong about it, though.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I also bought a BA codex, on thursday. Ha. :grin:

Not an easy codex... Chaos is much simpler :X

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
don't go BA's. your problem with the night lords is the size of the game. CSM's like most marines are an army ment to be played at the 2000+ points level, thats where they get truely optimal. you honestly want to win with this list? add 500 points and have your opponent do the same, toss in heavy anti-tank ranged support like tri-las preds, or oblits, my money says predators as you can get 3 for under 500 points and add their 9 lascannons to the 2 you already have with the land raider. with what you have now, your relying on having o get close to do your damage, when you should have the balanced forward element and the rear fire support to punch holes in things before you get there.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
don't go BA's. your problem with the night lords is the size of the game. CSM's like most marines are an army ment to be played at the 2000+ points level, thats where they get truely optimal. you honestly want to win with this list? add 500 points and have your opponent do the same, toss in heavy anti-tank ranged support like tri-las preds, or oblits, my money says predators as you can get 3 for under 500 points and add their 9 lascannons to the 2 you already have with the land raider. with what you have now, your relying on having o get close to do your damage, when you should have the balanced forward element and the rear fire support to punch holes in things before you get there.
1. You just contradicted yourself. You say dont use a BA codex then you say that CSM codex cant be used effectively under 2k points...

2. Night Lords are an assault / jump troop army... I dont see any type of decent rules for that in the CSM book. I mean what is he going to do have MoT troops as "Night Lords" common now. If he wants to go fluffy then BA is the best way to execute.

3. CSM can destroy at any point level you just need to learn the ways of the False Emperor ;)

Chaosftw

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
1. You just contradicted yourself. You say dont use a BA codex then you say that CSM codex cant be used effectively under 2k points...

2. Night Lords are an assault / jump troop army... I dont see any type of decent rules for that in the CSM book. I mean what is he going to do have MoT troops as "Night Lords" common now. If he wants to go fluffy then BA is the best way to execute.

3. CSM can destroy at any point level you just need to learn the ways of the False Emperor ;)

Chaosftw
1. not really a contradiction when the dont use BA was a moral sort of chioce. the idea of using a loyalist dex to rep one of our own is just wrong. sure rules wise its would probably do better? but you'd just end up spikey marines, not the glorified sons of the fallen primarchs we all know and love.

2. night lords are discribed as a swift army prefering the surgical raid to the long drawn out campaign, you don't nessicarily need jump packs to do this when you have rhinos. also, theres nothing saying that they didn't use bolters just as much.

3. CSM's can destroy at any level, assuming your lists is more balanced then this one, the heavy reliance of close up tank busting with nothing to take the early shots its problematic at best, presumably leading to his unfortunate downfall.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
1. not really a contradiction when the dont use BA was a moral sort of chioce. the idea of using a loyalist dex to rep one of our own is just wrong. sure rules wise its would probably do better? but you'd just end up spikey marines, not the glorified sons of the fallen primarchs we all know and love.

2. night lords are discribed as a swift army prefering the surgical raid to the long drawn out campaign, you don't nessicarily need jump packs to do this when you have rhinos. also, theres nothing saying that they didn't use bolters just as much.

3. CSM's can destroy at any level, assuming your lists is more balanced then this one, the heavy reliance of close up tank busting with nothing to take the early shots its problematic at best, presumably leading to his unfortunate downfall.
On my phone so going to comment more later but the on thing I want you to think about in response to the first point. Where exactly do you think the chaos came from? They were all once loyalists. So it can work with out a doubt. You may need to do some reading.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hail,

Without going the Blood Angels route(already been said!), to add some firepower and 'surgical' strike potential, try using the terminators without the Land Raider, keep the termies in reserve for deepstrike, and add 2 squads of chosen equipped with your 5 favourite weapons(meltas, flamers etc.) to infiltrate and hit the enemy from the flanks. Should be more 'NightLords' in theme and execution.

BFTBG!!

World Eater

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
On my phone so going to comment more later but the on thing I want you to think about in response to the first point. Where exactly do you think the chaos came from? They were all once loyalists. So it can work with out a doubt. You may need to do some reading.
eh, i started this game playing loyalists, what can i say, i'm a good guy snob :search:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts