Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased (today actually) my first squad of Genestealers and a Broodlord for my new project in making a Fluff based Nid army. (I will soon begin a project log and take pictures and stuff... some day)

As you may have already guessed, my army is planned to be based around a Genestealer invasion type of army so lots and lots of Genestealers and very little of anything else.

My problem is this... what HQ should I use to make the list legal to play by also support the fluff side of my army? Additionally, I don't want the list to be completely unplayable and I would loose a lot if all I did was genestealers, however, what other units could fit into the fluff side of it?

Thanks to any support you may provide as I'm still new with the fluff side of the nids.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Lictors would work well, ravenors, and trygons could also work as they could be burrowing guys that stay underground

Fluff-wise for a HQ maybe take a Tyranid Prime and just make it look like a giant broodlord? it could be a really cool conversion job.

Sadly when the new codex came around I dropped my genestealer spam army so idk much about the rule now

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
This will sound odd, but how about a Swarmlord? Of course, in this case, he's merely an extremely large 'stealer, with his retinue being modified stealers as well. That way, you can use hi re-roll Outflank roll ability, as well as the bonus to reserve rolls. AND have a fluffy and unique model to lead your Swarm...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tyranid Prime done up like a Giant Broodlord sounds like a great idea. Now, I guess my question with that is, since it is an independent character, would it be able to join a squad of Ymgarl Genestealers with their special 'Dormant' rule? I plan on having each squad of regular genestealers having a Broodlord, but since the Ymgarl don't have that option, it would be a perfect fit. But again... can I do that?

Ravenors and a Trygon would be a great idea as well as like you said... they are just burrowed and waiting.

My question now turns to game play... I don't have much in terms of ranged weapons... and if I use only 1 Trygon, I don't have much else that can take down big armor. Any suggestions there?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Deneris... Swarmlord with the +1 to reserves and re-roll the side would be REALLY helpful with 3+ squads of out-flanking Stealers... but does it really tie in with the fluff?? :S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts