Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to build a Warrior Focused list. And I'm just wondering what the most reliable anti-tank squads and or set-ups for the bugs are. Note: I'm already including 2 units of Hive Guard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Drop pod Zoanthropes are dual role.

#1 They have a very high chance of smoking any vehicle in the enemy army.
#2 After they smoke the tank, the enemy will spend quite a bit of firepower and movement to eliminate their threat, giving the rest of your army time to advance unmolested.

Warriors aren't the best to deal with tanks themselves, though the str 6 venom cannon ones can slow down light tanks. Without rending claws on them, the odds of actually destroying anything in armor is nearly negligable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah Zoanthropes do the trick real well... and after the tanks are busted their small blast template attack is pretty effective considering the armor pen. Also what i like to do is... if the tank has a soft rear say 10 or 11 AV you can use your drop pods to land behind the tank and with ripper tentacles STR 6 do it too. Since drop pods for the nids don't do too much after landing I think its a wonderful way to utilize em.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tyranid anti-tank is all about suppression fire outside of Zoans. Either through weight of fire they bring tanks down or eventual MCs hitting vehicles in combat. Hive Guard/Zoans are generally the best pure anti-tank with different strengths whilst VCs & HVCs + the T-Fex are good suppression fire.

Check out this for a more complete review.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I read that Tyranofex is pretty nasty as anti tank goes. 2 Str10 shots anywhere on the table by a high toughness, multi wound MC. Yes Please.

Edit, nevermind Kirby got ninjad me. It was that link I learn the Nids a bit.

·
Registered
648 Posts
T-fex and Hive Guard are as good as it gets. Zoanthropes look good on paper, but they need a Pod (and subsequently need Hive Commander to come in with any reliability) and can be nullified by psychic defenses.

Beyond that, as Kirby said, suppress suppress suppress. I've been using dual TL Dev Fexes in Pods to good effect. 12 TL S6 shots will keep just about anything from firing, and the Pod itself can do the same to another target.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
IMO, 2 Broods of Hive Guard and a pair of Zoanthropes in a pod is normally enough. The Zoanthropes are mainly there for cracking AV14/hard to reach targets, if there isn't any of that sort of thing you can just them as walking AP3 blasts. That works well too.

Kirby summed it up well, although I personally don't think you really need all that much suppresion fire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Drop pod Zoanthropes are dual role.

#1 They have a very high chance of smoking any vehicle in the enemy army.
#2 After they smoke the tank, the enemy will spend quite a bit of firepower and movement to eliminate their threat, giving the rest of your army time to advance unmolested.

Yep I always ran 3 and 3 Biovores with acid spores (great for lighter vehicles) and Ravenors with RC's were preaty useful too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts