Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H all,

I'm new to this forum and only 4 months into the hobby. Thought I'd throw up some pictures of what I have so far. When I started painting I knew nothing of legions so painted each lot of troops/elites etc different colours. I am now thinking of going down the black legion route.

I would like to keep the helbrute colours but wondered what I could do to bring out the armour? (black and red) I have started using the same colour scheme on the heldrake so your thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice on my black legion space marines too.

Thanks, Jon.

I will put up some pictures of my other stuff shortly.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm envious of how you got such a strong colour red on the helldrake, everything looks great so far. To bring out the red you can do several things, the easiest probably being to get a lighter red and highlight along all the edges of the trim to make it pop. You could also shade it down too, so use a red wash like Carrabourg Crimson to make the recesses darker - this can make the model streaky so what I do is then go over the red again with a thinned down version of the original colour, going over all but the darker recesses. Or you could combine the 2 techniques by shading then highlighting the edges after ward.

Black is generally a hard colour to paint well, especially when it is armour on CSM models as there aren't really edges the highlight and you can't shade black to get a darker black because... well its black. What you can do is get a really fine brush and use a dark grey like Dawnstone and highlight around the inside of the trim. A good example of this technique is the Forgefiend:

If you look carefully at the black areas there are thin grey lines the have been put in just next to where the trim finishes - that is the technique that I am describing. The good thing about this is that it is really easy to tidy up as you get clean up the wisps and mistakes you make by going over them with black.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that info. It was memphiston red I used. I didn't water it down so maybe that's the reason it's so bold. I have both, a lighter red and that crimson wash so will give that a go, probably try it on the helbrute first. I will try the effect with the thin grey lines too, I tried something similar on the black legion space marines to bring out their armour (using a tutorial on YouTube) but to be honest I could've been more careful as some of the lines are a bit thick. I used a silver on the CSM so will give it a whirl with the light grey.
Cheers, Jon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tip thanks. I've not really tried the highlighting technique on any of my minis yet. That may be my next job. Abaddon is still waiting to be painted and I've had him a couple of months!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first attempt at highlighting. Tried it with the cloaks, shoulder pads and used grey to bring the black areas out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts