Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to the forums.

I used to play 40k back in 96-97, joined the Army and started to rebuild a Dark Angels army around 2004ish.
Painting has never been a strength of mine, but those older figures came out fairly nice although I never got the hang of washes etc.

Recently I have been wanting to get back into the game. This time....the Grey Knights are calling my name. Im hoping that in my new found retirement (Medically retired from the Army) that I can just paint and take my time learning the washes and other tricks that bring these figures to life.

My issue.....in 2007 (Christmas night) I was in extremely close proximity to an AIF mortar strike. (Anti Iraqi Forces)
Now I have memory issues , the shakes, and migrianes. Painting might get the better of me.

My mind is set, im going to get back into this game....now I gotta get household 6 onboard (wife)

Anyways thanks for having me, forgive my future stupod questions please.....Im no subject matter expert when it comes to warhammer, nor will I act as one.
:drinks:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. From one veteran to another glad you found a home here. Look through the tutorial section, you should find some good info to help you start up painting again. I'll offer frank advice when you get some models up to.

Where did you retire too and what was your MOS? What base where you stationed at? I did 7.5 years at Campbell myself.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. You came to the right place. We here at Heresy will help where we can (which should be about everywhere. If someone doesn't know something, someone else will, its pretty much a guarantee) There are also plenty of tutorials that you can check out as well.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome to the forums. From one veteran to another glad you found a home here. Look through the tutorial section, you should find some good info to help you start up painting again. I'll offer frank advice when you get some models up to.

Where did you retire too and what was your MOS? What base where you stationed at? I did 7.5 years at Campbell myself.
I was an 11BC2 (Light Infantry-Anti armor) when I first joined.....Dragon Anti Tank Missile for the first 2 years...then the dragon got phased out and I became a straight 11B. I joined in 98 when there was 11B (Light Infantry) 11H (Anti Armor TOW) 11M (Mechanized Infantry) and 11C (Mortars) Did a year in Korea with Attack Company 1-503rd Air Assualt!
Then got stuck in Fort Lewis with B Co. 5-20 IN (Light) and Blackhawk Co. 1-23 IN (Stryker)

I retired out last year. Im currently now living in Yankee Hill, CA.
I would have loved to gone to Campbell or Bragg....but Lewis was a nice place.

Oh and Id greatly appreciate the help brother. Im currently browsing GW looking for Grey Knights and stuff. Amazing the stuff Forgeworld is putting out. If only I was a millionaire lol

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. You came to the right place. We here at Heresy will help where we can (which should be about everywhere. If someone doesn't know something, someone else will, its pretty much a guarantee) There are also plenty of tutorials that you can check out as well.
Thanks dude! I been flipping through the forums. Its almost information overload lol!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Its almost information overload lol!
All of it utter GOLD ! .... mostly

Welcome aboard and welcome to the Shiny Silver Brotherhood.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of it utter GOLD ! .... mostly

Welcome aboard and welcome to the Shiny Silver Brotherhood.
LoL! Thanks :so_happy:

Just bought 4 Grey Knight squads and 1 GK Termintor box. Should arrive on the 1st....Now I just need to buy the new rules and a codex, and all the paints oooooh boooy!

Any other goodies you all recommend?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
LoL! Thanks :so_happy:

Just bought 4 Grey Knight squads and 1 GK Termintor box. Should arrive on the 1st....Now I just need to buy the new rules and a codex, and all the paints oooooh boooy!

Any other goodies you all recommend?
Nah I reckon that lot will keep you out of trouble for a little while. You'll need an HQ at some stage but there are lots of options there and you might want to read up a bit first.

What are your thoughts for the type of army you want to build? One of the good things about GK's is that there is a lot of scope for different themes.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah I reckon that lot will keep you out of trouble for a little while. You'll need an HQ at some stage but there are lots of options there and you might want to read up a bit first.

What are your thoughts for the type of army you want to build? One of the good things about GK's is that there is a lot of scope for different themes.
My intent is to build a 2000+ point army eventually that I can change the formation based on need etc. Basically a well rounded Army that I can swap in or out pieces to allow for Mobility, and power. I figured the kits I bought would be a great start, I do plan on getting a dread or 2 and some transports....but for now I will work on giving these Grey Knight the love and paint they deserve, slowly building it as I go. Im sure the rules changed a lot since I started playing in the 90s so im going to focus on, painting...studying, and building up the Knights.

Im in no rush to get into a game at this moment. I have a lot of work to do first.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Welcome to the forums hope you enjoy your stay. :)

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Welcome to Heresy, sorry to hear about your injury, hopefully playing with little toy soldiers helps like it does with the rest of us!

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to Heresy. You've come to the right place for help and advice.
Thanks Much!
Welcome to Heresy, sorry to hear about your injury, hopefully playing with little toy soldiers helps like it does with the rest of us!
Thanks dude! Im hoping it gives me a creative outlet,and helps me focus. I used to love making models...anytype. It seems like a dieing hobby. Damn XBox baby sitters!:ireful2:

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts