Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my brother are new to Warhammer 40k, he's playing orks and i am trying to help him get his army started. What point level is good to learn orks? Right now he has a ork battleforce box, a lootas box 3 aobr deffcoptas and a box of boyz. Can anyone help us?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I first started 40k I started doing 600 points. I recommend this points value as it offers fairly fast games but still allows enough points for some cool models. once you get the hang of the rules you can move on to 850 or 1000 point games or even more depending on how much you want to expand your army's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am fairly new to orks myself but I'd like to try and help you. What he has right now is not a bad start even though its missing an HQ, however you can use the mek from the lootas as a big-mek temporarily at least. With what he has I'd run something like this :

HQ

Big Mek 105
- eavy armor
- boss pole
- cybork body
- kustom force field

Troops

20 Boyz 130
- 2x big shoota
- 18 shoota

10 Boyz 100
- big shoota
- 9 shoota
- trukk w/ big shoota

Fast Attack

3 Warbikers 75

Deffkopta 45
- rokkit launcha

Deffkopta 45
- rokkit launcha

total 500

I'd say run the mek in the trukk with the 10 boyz and keep the truck within 6 of some of the 20 boyz so they get the benefit from the field. If the warbikers still have their arms un-attached I'd say he's well on his way to making a solid army, if they are already attached then its just a future investment to make. Once he has another 1-5 bikers you can kit them out as nobs/warboss/painboy with power klaws and the proper equipment to make them look right. Nob biker squads with a painboy and a warboss on a bike are a nasty ork unit right now. Hope this works out for him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only advice I can give you is enjoy collecting. My Ork army and bitz have taken over a room.

Buy Kromlech resin not GW. Kromlech's version of a Mega armored nob is more warboss sized and will make a better one than Thraka, if you want to go that route.

The Nob box is your freind. with some platicard you can make your own MANz, failcast sucks.

When you buy a box of lootas/burnas (there both good) buy a box of boys so you can make the others.

Ignore the GW resin flashgit he looks like a dirt poor snot fondler with a craptastic double barreled shotgun.

In freindly games against non eldar run Old Zoggy he is a hoot with the curse... squigging a HQ is a simple pleasure in the life of an ork player.

Equip your mek with a shokk attack gun with a power klaw so you can have a crowning moment of awsome firing the shokk attack gun when he shoots himself through the gun into close combat (made a group of beakies with laze cannons run squealing off the table). Also realize when the damn thing blows up the Mek just thought "Screw this game of soldiers I am going to Korn world for some real fighting).

Be sure to visit wallmart or toysrus after christamas for cheap converable stuff for battle wagons and super heavies.

Start out with 60 boyz that way you can either run the minimum 2 squads of 30 for troops or 6 groups of 10 trukk boys.

Those chain sword bits in the boyz box makes and excellent dccw for scratch built cans and dreads when you use two.

Remeber scratch building is a long and orky tradtion. cover it in super glue roll it in bits and paint the damn thing. Orky is what you say it is.

As far as advice for an army most people have a beating in period where you tend to loose just put up with it and enjoy the hiliarty that is a game store. People will give you adive try it if you want but you will enventually figure it out for yourself.

buy stuff off ebay its cheaper.

read the old fluff too.

Old Rednek

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
for orks 500 points is a good starting point because this low point level really shows a lot of the strengths in an ork army.

Tell him to experiment with his ork army because there is no cookie cutter ork army. Everyone's is different. Old Red has some good pointers when he gets more experienced and wants to build up his army.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's my 500 point list;

-Warboss (Power Klaw, 'Eavy armor)

-10 Boyz (Trukk)

-9 Boyz (Trukk)
Boss Nobb (Boss Pole, Power Klaw)

-4 Kommando's
Boss Nob

-2 Deffkopta's (Twin-Linked RL)

-3 Kannons (2 Ammo Runts, 2 Extra Gretchin)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts