Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Hmm. Is there a mismatch between the value proposed here and the product?

In other words, if I have the money for a car wouldn't I also have the money for a case with a more durable build?

And likewise, if I didn't have the money for a car and I had to take public transport, wouldn't I be encouraged again to buy a more durable material?

How big is the demographic who has both the income for personal transport but wants to go cheap on their cases?
that is pretty much how i feel about them, im pretty familiar with cardboard as a material and i have yet to come across a cardboard that will stand up to a size nine boot or 15stone mans arse or that wont crumple if dropped or for that matter didnt go soggy in the rain, all of these are potential issues for a model case( rain being a particular problem in the UK) , Ok some gamers have cars, very true, but a considerable number of GWs demographic are teenage boys who dont drive and can be seen luggin black GW cases and aluminium tool cases etc into local stores.
Im not saying its impossible to sell cardboard cases, i just think corrugated plastic would make more sense as its much more durable and weather resistant.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Honestly you would have to submerge it in a swimming pool for the box to lose it's integrity. I just put mine in carrier bags if it's raining. Problem solved.

Budget option.
Agreed and thanks, I tested it last night and bashed it against a wall and it was still functional.

Hmm. Is there a mismatch between the value proposed here and the product?

In other words, if I have the money for a car wouldn't I also have the money for a case with a more durable build?
Not at all you're paying £35 for something that costs £50+

Why would you need one with a durable build if it's in the car? Why not save yourself some money?

And likewise, if I didn't have the money for a car and I had to take public transport, wouldn't I be encouraged again to buy a more durable material?

How big is the demographic who has both the income for personal transport but wants to go cheap on their cases?
I don't understand your gripe with cardboard cases, it's £35... and cheaper than anyone else for similar miniature count storage.

I really appreciate this product at the price point. I doubt I'd buy any, though.

Best of luck selling your merchandise! Both the price/quality look solid to me.
Just to get some feedback, why wouldn't you buy it?

And thanks :)

I typically just use double layer pistol cases. They can be had for reasonable prices and the foam can be cut or replaced as needed

We don't have guns here.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Not at all, you're paying £35 for something that costs £50+

Why would you need one with a durable build if it's in the car? Why not save yourself some money?

I don't understand your gripe with cardboard cases, it's £35... and cheaper than anyone else for similar miniature count storage.
I'm not totally against your product. I don't think I would buy it, but I can certainly see the use. I can definitely see your system working well with miniatures stored at home. Just as we don't store every document or knick-knack in a heavy duty cabinet, bin, or tub I can see how these cardboard cases would be perfect for long term storage at home in a closet, attic, or under the gaming table.

Perhaps I'm being closed minded, but if I had to travel I would still prefer a plastic case.

And if I were a kid traveling it might be necessary to use something stronger/weather resistant to protect my miniature investment. I know when I started playing at age 12, a cardboard car would not have survived with me all that long. They were dropped, kicked, and stepped on at my FLGS and rained on several times.

So in other words, even if you make a more affordable case, it may still not always be a better value.

We don't have guns here.
Which I think is very sensible. I don't own any guns, just the cases to store figures. Are gun cases regulated in the UK as well?

Anyway, good luck with the venture!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well I've just paid for one of the 56-slot cases and will drop a review on here once it arrives :)

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Just don't need any cases. As I said, I tend to buy foam trays and just cram them in a big plastic tupperware. Not as tidy or compact as your cases, but cheaper than even your budget option :laugh:. It's gonna start getting awkward once I have my army painted though, for the bigger minis at least.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like these cases. Like others though I tend towards plastic cases (for figs) or land raider boxes (for vehicles/MCs). I do a cardboard case and it works very well, especially after I spray laquered it. That fixed the main rain/snow problem for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So in other words, even if you make a more affordable case, it may still not always be a better value.
But why is KR so popular when they use cardboard cases?

Are gun cases regulated in the UK as well?
We don't have gun cases either except for game keepers and other professions but I have never seen them in shops.

Anyway, good luck with the venture!
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback and I am not taking it as a slight.

Well I've just paid for one of the 56-slot cases and will drop a review on here once it arrives
And thanks again! Hopefully you received it today?

Just don't need any cases. As I said, I tend to buy foam trays and just cram them in a big plastic tupperware. Not as tidy or compact as your cases, but cheaper than even your budget option . It's gonna start getting awkward once I have my army painted though, for the bigger minis at least.
Is Battlefoam popular there?

I like these cases. Like others though I tend towards plastic cases (for figs) or land raider boxes (for vehicles/MCs). I do a cardboard case and it works very well, especially after I spray laquered it. That fixed the main rain/snow problem for me.
I did think about spraying them but I'm not sure about regulations and what not here so I just left it.

What class of postage would you send them?
Second class royal mail.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The case did arrive today in fact, I'll drop an in depth review when I'm not working 13 hour days, which will probably be Tuesday next week or so. First glance looks reasonable though! :)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Hi all,

So I have a few spare minutes and want to let you know how I found this case.

First off, it arrived promptly, which is nice. Two days after payment, which means it was posted ASAP after payment and delivered by 2nd Class post. Free postage is also a decent thing - the cost was £35, flat.

So size wise it's about twice that of a GW case, maybe a little less.

Looking at the exterior, there was a little bit of creasing in the cardboard - exclusively in the lid, which is natural since it's the only part that moves.

Obviously at the moment this is minor, and only time will tell if it becomes an actual problem or not. I will note at this stage that the cardboard is not as rigid or solid as the KR Multicase cardboard, which is significantly denser, and therefore presumably more resistant to things like rain.

Opening the case, there was a fun size packet of Haribo, which was nice, and hasn't biased my review in any way... ;)

Looking at the foam, you certainly get a lot of it! The case holds 448 models, which is something on the order of quadruple the regular GW case capacity. It'd certainly do well for people who enjoy things like collecting Companies of Marines, or you could easily add the sheets to other cases for more infantry-dense armies. I know a lot of my cases are mixed up layers of KR, Battlefoam, GW and so on depending on the army and system.

With regards to the foam itself, it does the job very nicely. It's kind of a halfway house between KR and Battlefoam in terms of rigidity, it's also stronger than GW foam. The foam is glued quite strongly (pretty much the most strongly glued I've come across) to the base along the horizontal lines, the vertical lines are unglued. Obviously if you want to cut them up for models then you want to go vertical, which is favourable for back banners and bikes, but less good for wide models like Terminators.

The slots themselves are pretty much the perfect depth, holding models with swords etc deeply enough to make risk of damage from blades sticking out negligible. It's also slightly accomodating with height - Marines with bigger backpacks should just about fit in neatly. The larger slots along the base are actually an invention that is more useful than you first think - they hold things like Sang Guard (which are actually rather large compared to normal slots) in enough numbers to mean you don't need to chop up the case as much as you otherwise might. Also makes it easier to find special/heavy weapon troopers or Sergeants if that's something you struggle with (Imperial Guard, for example).

Overall, I think this case is great for storing models and taking them to the local workshop. It seems solid enough for most use, but I do have reserves about taking it outside when it's absolutely BELTING it down. Drizzle etc should be fine, but I don't want to risk an actual downpore.

Finally, there is nowhere, absolutely nowhere else, that will let you case up and store almost 450 models for £35. Not a chance. So on that basis alone, even if you use the trays in other cases, it's very good value for money, because the foam quality is superb.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I would just like to thank you for your purchase and your review.

I will try to reply best I can to your review.

From this week/early next I will be using a different delivery service which provides tracking, which will be emailed to customers allowing them to track the progress to give them peace of mind.

The Haribo sweets will be a regular theme. I have never seen the other competitors do it and I believe it's something that will help me stand out. And a little thank you gesture to customers while they pack their trays.

As to the case, I believe because of it's size it will be more prone to creases, but that was the only option to keep the set cheap. I am looking into getting flight cases made (the nylon ones) so players have more choice.

I'm very happy you like the foam and price as those are my main selling points. I was going to use the softer foam KR use but as you say this one is inbetween them and BF which seems perfect.

Again thank you for your purchase and review, hopefully I will see you again!

Nice review sethis

Seeing it vs the GW case it's clear that it's a very good value bit of kit. Good luck with your sales Zartosis!

Thank you very much, hopefully I will be able to send you one or two soon ;)

Can the larger made trays hold fantasy cavalry??
Personally I don't think so, I will eventually make a tray for them though. I have taken a picture so you have an idea.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Personally I don't think so, I will eventually make a tray for them though. I have taken a picture so you have an idea.

Ah I see. I am still interested as it is definitely a good product, if you could make a cav tray I would buy one ASAP!!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Might have to pick one up next month, I've bookmarked this thread for that reason! I'm in serious need of storage so these would be ideal (and transporting for me).

I'd be interested in cavalry trays too in the future. There's rumblings that I may be delving more into fantasy.

Bravo!

·
Registered
332 Posts
How many would you want? There is another person who wants them but there would have to be a decent demand for me to pay for it's development.

I do sell pick and pluck foam that could suffice for now though.
Around 40 cavalry slots? I have also ear marked one for the near future as will be in need of storage!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Case looks good, not innovative just much better thought out than most others. A small point to people who gripe about rain, I PVA'd my KR case just to 'seal' it, had it a couple of years and its still going strong, same would probably apply to these ones. Good product!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts