Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been a fan of the Warhammer 40K Universe for awhile after playing Dawn of War and Dawn of War II, and reading the first three books of the Horus Heresy series, but have never tried my hand at painting and playing the table top game.

I look forward to gathering some great information from veterans on the site to help build and master my army, because I'll be honest, after briefly reading the Rules Book and Space Marines Codex, I feel a little overwhelmed. I plan on creating a new Space Marine Chapter, but I'm not sure which of the founding chapters to use as my progenitor yet... all in due time.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome to Heresy mate!

As you're brand new to the game, I can't suggest go with a Chapter that suits your playstyle..... :laugh:
So, my suggestion would be to have a read up on all the founding Legions and see if any of the background grabs your attention before reading up on their successor Chapters.
There are so many colour schemes and nifty background themes that you're bound to stumble across one that you fancy the sound of.

Here's the remaining loyal Chapters from the Heresy to get you on the winding path.
I: Dark Angels.
V: White Scars.
VI: Space Wolves.
VII: Imperial Fists.
IX: Blood Angels.
X: Iron Hands.
XIII: Ultramarines.
XVIII: Salamanders.
XIX: Raven Guard.

Enjoy the ride! :good:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. After reading through some of the back stories, I really like Regal Dorn and the Imperial Fists. Plus, from a simple standpoint, I feel like their chapter tactics will be the easiest for me to implement into my Army. Now it's time to create a successor chapter and color scheme.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
h, man, welcome.
Altough you are a loyalist sissy, i will try to support you :biggrin: (never considered worshipping Slaanesh?)

Rogal dorn and his kin are an easy chapter to play, pretty cool and not overpowered. I'd even say that you could put an eye on "Defenders of Terra" book, wich is pretty nice and adds some options to the yellow guys.
Imo, a yellow-marines successor chapter should be honorable, stern and centered towards defence. I'd use a lot of combat squadded tactical units, some droppin' dreadnoughts and LOTS of fire support (centurions/ devastators/ vindicators).
Any ideas for colour scheme?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to Tabletop!

Its going to be a rough road, filled with "WTFs" and "In your face Gray Knight cheeser!" But its well worth it.

The only advice I can give you is this...

Study up on the tactica of other players
Before commiting to an army based on the fluff you should really take a look at the crunch and see if that particular army will work out for you.
Watch plenty of batreps on youtube or other sources, you'll always learn new tricks and strata from guys who are seasoned with said armies.

Good luck out there Son of Dorn. You'll need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the hints guys regarding Defenders of Terra book, and some ideas for what units to employ in the Army.

Lol, nerfhet, I've never considered worshipping Slaanesh, but do love a lot of the Chaos Space Marines I've seen in the store and online. I know a lot of people have multiple armies, and wouldn't rule out trying out some CSM later on once I get used to the game.

Right now, I'm thinking of a silver/grey based color, with black for the shoulder guards, and gold trim on certain areas of the armor. We'll see how it looks...

·
Registered
78 Posts
for the necron dynasties and for papa nurgle/ tzeentch:victory:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Welcome aboard the 40k train!

I look forward to seeing your progress. Yellow can be a hard color to pull off though, so be sure to try and find some tutorials on Youtube or the like. If you need any help with techniques or have questions regarding the painting side of the hobby, just let me know and I will see if I cannot help you out :)

Oh and I support the Slaanesh worshipping.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Thank you. After reading through some of the back stories, I really like Regal Dorn and the Imperial Fists. Plus, from a simple standpoint, I feel like their chapter tactics will be the easiest for me to implement into my Army. Now it's time to create a successor chapter and color scheme.
Welcome to the boards. Imperial fists are a great way to get playing. I typically run Sentinels of Terra vs the vanilla C:SM (Sentinels are Imperial fists 3rd company). The ability to re roll ALL misses when at half range with bolter weapons really sold it for me. (yes this does also apply to overwatch and flying models). You have lost of successors to choose from as well ( List for you here)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts