Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, So I bought the AoBR starter set and took SM for myself. (My son chose Orks, I always knew he was wierd) I have them all painted up, not bad for a 1st timer, at any rate kinda lost about where to go from here. Hopefully I can go to my local gamestore and play a game or 2 this week. I have been doing reading and from what I can gather Terminators are kinda a no-no for low point games. Is this true? Should I drop them for a vehicle or something, maybe another tactical squad.... How about the dreadnaught, overkill or wasted points for someone learning? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!! :grin:

·
Registered
366 Posts
First thing I would do is look to making your army 'legal'. I'm presuming you've made your tactical marines up like the box with 1 flamer and 1 Missile launcher. This defines them as a single squad in a normal game.

If I was you i'd look to get a second tactical squad and 2 transports (the razorback box lets you get a Rhino and a Razorback if you dont glue the hatch on for the same price as a single standard rhino boxset)

From there you should have:

SM captain with power sword for 115 points

2x Tactical squad with flamer, ML'er and Rhino/Razorback - 205/210 (depending on transport)

This will let you combat squad your units into 2 5 man squads with ML to stand still and fire all game and 2 5 man squads with flamers to push forward.

Rhinos/Razorbacks are upto you. Razorbacks can sit at range with the ML squads raining death from afar while Rhinos will let the flamer squads and captain rush forward faster to start hacking down those greenskins and make the orkish killing a bit more personal.

That will give you a base of 525-535 points, a legal army, 2 transports and 4 squads who all count as scoring units. From there you can easily build in your terminators in their own vehicle and the dread but you'll have a nice base to see how you want to play your army.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
honestly the best advice I could give is for you to play a few games against your son with the AoBR set to get a feel for it. Watch a few games to see what can be added and how you like how things are used or operate. You can chapter build if you want or build based on your play style.

As for your questions: Dreads are good support for your assault troops. Just don't glue your gun arm on and you can switch weapons out with other dreads for different loadouts. A Multi-Melta (MM) dread, the one you have is designed for taking out vehicles at close range. Change it out with a twin linked (TL) lascannon and you are set for long range anti vehicle. Against troops you would go with the assault cannon load out. All of the Dreadnaught box sets come with two or three different weapons so if you bought another dread that would give you two dreads with different weapon options.

At low points termies can be a point sink. If you do not have a land raider to transport them then go with shooty ones and add a cyclone missile launcher termy for range attacks.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses guy's. I can tell you after just one game the Termies aren't helping my situation when all 30 Orks come beating down the front door. The Melta on Dread isn't too great either considering he has no vehicles to melt. My plan is to get another 10 man Tac Squad and prob a scout squad with snipers to pick off Orks.

If I buy 1 Razorback box set, I can build a razorback and rhino out it? If so, that would be great I'm all for saving money.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx, I got to looking at the specs for the Rhino/Razorback and see the difference is only the hatch on top, nice way to cut costs yet maintain versatility. :grin:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dark Side.....hmm are we talking CSM or Jedi's here? :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts