Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have build 5 Wolf Guard Terminators-all have wolf claw and storm bolter. I figure good long range shot and great close combat weapon for both infantry and tanks.

I have also built 10 Grey wolves. All have bolter and close combat weapon. I am putting one with the frost blade.

I am looking at getting Njal as a HQ. Really like his attributes and his back story.

Please any advice on what I have or ways to make my army strong would be greatly appreciated. I currently will be playing my friend who uses the blood angels. I don't like to lose and I figure multiple heads are better than just one. Especially one new to the game like myself.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'd recommend jumping into the space marine army lists section and taking a look at the lists posted there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello Sir,

Always good to see a fellow Wolf player. They seem to be very popular since the book came out last October. About time I say. :)

To get a feel for them play a few games at small points. I'd recommend:
Rune Priest (not Njal, get used to the regular fella first to appreciate the fancy one)
Pod for your Wolf Guard (if you have spare Meltas or Plasmas then convert their stormbolters to combiweapons to scare vehicles and monsters)
2 x Grey Hunters in Rhinos (Meltas, Mark of Wulfen, Wolf Guard with Fist/CombiMelta)
Long Fangs

That'll give you a solid core to build upon. There's a couple of ways you can take this - going shooty heavy with tanks and Fangs, going aggressive with Scouts and Thunderwolves.

Have a look at:
Bolter and Chainsword
Space Wolves Grey
Yesthetruthhurts

I'd like to shamelessly suggest my own blog in my sig. I've got a few battle reports there that should hopefully help you with what to do (or what not to do :blush:). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the updates. I have read some more about the space wolves and it looks like their psychic abilities are really awesome. Any suggestions on how to implement them into an army? Also how would I go about learning the strengths of the wolves this army can have. Whether it is a long wolf or Wolf Calvary. Maybe if you let me in on the tactics you all use then it would give me a better understanding of the strengths of this army.

·
Registered
22 Posts
first off welcome to wolves.

i just picked up warhammer from retirement for 4 years when i was a youngin and decided to play space wolves myself.

I don't have as much experience as other guys on these forums (which are very helpful), but i did start a couple of months ago and played in an escilation league and learned a lot.

i would first start by saying you can go a couple ways with wolves 2 main ways of which i observe with tweaks

Assault(CC)

if you want to be an assault army there are 2 mainstream ways

1) Logan wing- make squads of wolf guard and put them in drop pods or land raiders and charge charge charge!!!!

me personally i would put about 4 terminators of wolf guard and make the other 6 regular armor wolf guard due to the cheaper of points and wound allocation

2) Thunder Wolf List- you make some wolf lord on thunder wolf calvary, get some grey hunters for troop choices and go heavy on wolves w some long fangs to give cover

Shooty

you can either go troop heavy here which is more of a balanced type or a pure shooting type

1)troop-Grey hunters (Standard, MOTW, and meltagun) of 9 plus a wolf guard(PF + COmbi-melta) in rhinos prob 3 squads. add a rune priest or 2 for shooting and anti psych

2) super shooty- FAngs Fangs and more fangs.... i would put fangs prob in any army i would make here especially ML fangs. throw them w some las cannon razorbacks throw some grey hunters in some laserbacks and watch the missiles fly and las cannons add some rune priests if youd like, maybe a dreadnought.

-----------------------------------------------------------

honistly theres so many things to do with wolves so many tweaks and preferences that each player has his own way of playing them.

i hope this helps somewhat i would go read some army lists and see how the veterans critique them..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts