Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am preety new to this hobby, only got introduced last week during my trip to England, after which I immdiately got my hands on the dark vengeance set. I assembled all of them and even went to get some Acrylic paint and a primer, and after I primed them all, I started painting. In an understatement, it wasn't that good as I saw it in the shop. I practicly ruined two models by trying to paint them, I don't know if the paint I used was no good cause it wasn't that Citadel paint I didn't buy, or maybe I suck really hard, or maybe I used a bad primer? (But how wrong can you go there it said "primer" and "works on plastic" though it's a bit grainy) So I don't know, But I don't dare touch any of my other miniatures, before I can get some help\advice, any appreciated, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Welcome to HO, can you provide more detail on how they are ruined? Or even better some pictures?

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
If the primer is comimg up sandy/grainy its probably due to damp/humifity. I tend to leave mine sitting in warm water before shaking the can for a solid 2 minutes prior to applicagion. What paints did you use as you maybe able to strip the paint off and start again

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Looks like a mix of priming issues and too thick paint.

When priming you want to do as suggested above if it is humid. Less is better than more also.

Painting you want to thin your paint down with water till it is like milk or a bit thicker. Then again less is better in this case also. The less you put on the model all at once the more the model detail shows.

Also can see that you missed mold lines and when the bits connected to the sprue. Scraping the mold lined away and cleaning the sprue connection s up will also improve overall look of the models.

The paint can be stripped from the models with something low strength like Simple Green. Primer might come off that way too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, that paint can't be removed, so sadly, that's not an option. The thing is I feel it's the black is too bright, too sticky, too thick, I don't know if it's me, but some spots are just very hard to paint and get a brush over. Also, again, I don't know if I'm just bad (well I am) but some spots just got very thick layersof black and it's just ugly.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
If it is thick and globby you defiantly need to thin it down before use. Put son on a palette or even a piece of cardboard and add water. Then mix it up till it runs smoother.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I suggest not using cardboard as it will wick the moisture out of the paint.

Not all acrylic paint is good for miniatures due to the binder and pigment being to thick and large. I suggest mail ordering or buying if you can actual miniature paints. Also highly suggest looking through the tutorial sections. There are some beginner painting tutorials there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do I have to purchase the Citadel painting set? Because to be honest, I do feel like it's a tad overpriced...

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Do I have to purchase the Citadel painting set? Because to be honest, I do feel like it's a tad overpriced...
Not at all. Whatever people might joke about GW restricting the use of certain things, they do not require models to be painted with their paint.

The only issue you might find with using non-GW paints is that many tutorials us the GW colour names, so you might need to find a GW-to-Other conversion chart on the internet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Going with cheap paint usually gives you cheap results. If you spend $1000 or in my case several thousand a month on models you really want to spend the extra $1 on a tub of paint.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Omer, what country are you in?
And ogrechubbs, how can you afford several thousand dollars a month in models? What do you do for a living?

Back I topic. . .

Definitely check out the tutorials, and when you run into terms you don't know do a quick Google search, and ask on the forums here.

In addition to all the other good advice offered, start simple and take it slow. Over time you'll learn how to get a nice even prime coat and how to lay on base colors, shades and highlights.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I find that generally non-black primers often end up a bit grainy anyway but to reduce it spray in short bursts and shake the can between bursts to keep the propellant and paint mixed. Also try to keep the can level, stick the models to some cardboard with some blue tac and tilt the models instead of the can to keep the mix even. Weather can also be a factor too, as people have said humidity effects spraying as well as general heat as it can partially dry the paint before it reaches the model. And finally don't spray too close as well, keep the can about 20cm away as the paint can cause a rippling effect if you spray too close.

For the actual painting it certainly looks like you need to thin your paints as people have said, as for the paint range what is it? It may be worth investing in another set, Vallejo are pretty good as you get more paint for you money compared to GW and they have good equivilant paints to use. I also noticed tht you were painting a grey primed model black. It may be easier to use a black primer and then you can use a much thinner coat of black over the top (it may not be needed) to give it an even colour.

For general tips I would just say thin your paints and work on keeping the models tidy before moving onto harder techniques, I was a lot like you when I started in that I was always annoyed that my guys looked nothing like the ones on the box but remember these guys are professional an have had years of practice :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Good miniature acrylics in no certain order. Reaper, Vallejo model color, Vallejo game color, citadel, Coat d'arms, P3, army painter, secret weapon Miniatures. I am site there are more but those are all off the top of my head. Coat d'arms is a French company, not sure if that makes it easier. Reaper is good about international shipping and is top notch.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ha! Damn, I've been thinking for over a decade they were made in France.

Knew about the P3 (a lot of evidence supports it), interesting about GW though. Anyone have access to a mass spec analyzer?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts