Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all

I find myself in a position to finally get involved in this world of miniatures, I've been a long time lurker in these forums. I'm trying to decide on where to get started something large like a tank or just get a box set with several units?
I'm kind of partial to the grey knights and the space wolves. I read the novels but have never seen or met anyone who has actually played the table top game and am currently unaware of any game shops in my area. I have a good amount of air brush experience but almost none holding a hairy stick. After reading some of the tool requirements I find I have probably 95% of what I'd need other then glue and paint and brushes.

I'd like to get more involved in the building and painting more for having something to put on display then for actual gaming but would still like to keep that option open if in fact I do find a game shop in my area.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
G'day mate. If you are looking to get some brush skills, a grey knight strike squad would work well. Airbrush wise, eldar and de could be great, tau has lots of flat surfaces and space marine tanks could be fun to work on. Daemons could also be a really good candidate for majority airbrush work, though they are almost purely infantry based.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't suggest starting with a vehicle. It's purely a personal prefference though. I would suggest getting a box of tactical marines (of whatever chapter you want) and starting there. That would give you 10 bodies to work on. They are easy to put together and after you paint them, easy to strip if you feel that they need to be repainted. When it comes to vehicles, I hate (again, personal preference) trying to strip it. For some reason, I just have bad luck trying it.
And as said above (which was good advice), it's going to be down to how you want to paint, how much of a challange you want, and things like that.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Since you seem comfortable air brushing I would say start with a tank or something that would give you something that you are comfortable doing to start with. You can check out the wargaming club section to see if there are players or stores around you. And don't forget to post pictures in the modeling section when you get started.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Greetings all

I find myself in a position to finally get involved in this world of miniatures, I've been a long time lurker in these forums. I'm trying to decide on where to get started something large like a tank or just get a box set with several units?
I'm kind of partial to the grey knights and the space wolves. I read the novels but have never seen or met anyone who has actually played the table top game and am currently unaware of any game shops in my area. I have a good amount of air brush experience but almost none holding a hairy stick. After reading some of the tool requirements I find I have probably 95% of what I'd need other then glue and paint and brushes.

I'd like to get more involved in the building and painting more for having something to put on display then for actual gaming but would still like to keep that option open if in fact I do find a game shop in my area.
Helllo and welcome to heresy :)

I have been painting for a while and I do not play the game. Nearly all my models are for display only. I would start by picking an army that you really like and then maybe get a battalion box set which will give you a few units to paint up.

As for paint and brushes I would suggest buying the colours that you need rather than going for a box set. It would be worth your time investing in a decent set of brushes as you will not need to change them as often and it will be a lot easier to paint.

Also if you were to buy a battalion you will pretty much have a small 500 point force to game with if you decide to take it up.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I would second LTP's battle box suggestion. You usually get a nice mixture of infantry and vehicles, plus you'll save a few quid.

Don't think there is a GK box but the space wolves one is pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for all the suggestions. I think I'll put together a force of Grey Knights since I enjoy the books so much.

If all go well and my budget allows I may branch out and try another SM chapter of maybe go with some tyranids of a daemon lord, then again maybe I should just wait until I get these done first.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I could chime in here as well, if you find yourself interested in Space Wolves as well, I think that they are a good starting point for an already experienced painter. They have more variety to the base models, and I find are really easy to do little conversions to make each model look unique. If you have read books on Space Wolves, you may find some extra entertainment creating characters from the books/drawing inspiration and creating your own unique characters with relative ease. And it would give you an opportunity to dive into the world of converting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
But that could go for any of the chapters these days I guess. When I first got into the hobby about 5-6 years ago, Ultramarines were pretty cookie cutter looking, where as Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and other specialized chapters were unique unto themselves, while still being an easy model to learn how to get used to painting minis, as they are still space marines and a good place to start at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well So far I've ordered my self a Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight as well as a terminator squad and a box of grey knights figure that should make for a decent army if I decide to actually play and not just paint.

That should hold me over for a good while between building them and painting.

Now I'm off to raid the tutorials for all the info I can stuff into my cranium.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts