Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've decided that I'm going to make a Roman themed space marine army, so here's a very basic list I've come up with (for 1500 points)

HQ

Captain w/ storm shield, relic blade, artificer armour, digital

weapons, bike
= 205

Command squad w/ 2x power swords, 2x power fists, 4x storm shields,

bikes
= 315

Troops

10x marines w/ 1x powerfist, Rhino
= 230

= 230

= 230

Elites

5x Terminators w/ Storm Shields and Thunder Hammers
=200

Total = 1410

I have 90 points left over to spend on special weapons and stuff for my tactical squads, because I don't really know which ones work well for marines. Any advice in that regard would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, other than that, is a list like this even usable? Am I missing something here (besides special weapons)? I want it to be a fluffy list (chariots to represent bikes, the 'testudo' battle formation to represent a Rhino, it's going to be fun to model!), but is there anything else I should add? Maybe to expand to 2000 points?

Thanks! :victory:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i like the idea, but IMO your HQ is over priced for its points.

you could drop all of it, take Lysander, make your whole army Stubborn, not to mention he's a beast, drop the command squad and put him and your termies in a LR.

and still have a few points left for whatever else you'd like.

i know it changes the style of your list dramatically, but it's just an idea, and a touch on the cookie cutter side i'll admit.

good hunting.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's a fun concept. Keeping within your theme I suggest

--I like your Captain's set up, but would drop the digital weapons.

--On the Command squad take the Champion. He comes with a PW and costs the same, but has added freebies. One PF is probably enough in this squad. You might want to add some melta.

--Power weapons instead of power fists on the Tacticals. These will look more like the gladius a centurion would carry.

--Will your Tacticals have flamer, ML? With points saved on PFs, you might give each Sgt a combi-melta; representing the darts a legionnaire would sometimes carry. It would be cheaper to upgrade the flamers to meltaguns, but the one-shots of combi weapons will feel more like darts :)

--You could add 2-3 Attack Bikes (the two man bikes) with MMs in as Auxiliaries, representing the irregular troops--often mounted--who would fight alongside early legions. Two man bikes could be considered chariots.

--I am undecided about the Termies. I think if you are taking them, it would be better to add a couple. Bring the squad up to 7-8 men. However, I am not sure you should take them. I feel that more bikes--equites--suit the theme well and might play better. However, TH/SS termies do pose a threat to some things other troops struggle to touch.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

Ya I realize the HQ is all very expensive, but I thought it would be a fun idea. In a more competitive game, I'd probably use a counts-as Lysander.

I took the termies because I wanted as many models as possible to have storm shields (represented by big Roman tower shields). That, and they're just really good.

I think the meltaguns are probably a good idea, because upon looking at my list again, I have no way of dealing with AV14. A meltagun in every squad would probably do the trick, or even the combi-melta for the sergeants. I think I'll keep the power fists though, they just add that extra punch (no pun intended, lol) to the squads.

I do like the attack bike idea. That's definitely something I could do.

Now, I just have to start making stuff...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just form the get go... with the posted list, you should add tele port homers to each tactical.. and have the Termies deep strike in, with the homers, they can come in and support any of the tactical squads they need too, and it will be much safer than regular deepstrike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts