Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

New to IG/AM

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  christopher.dean 
#1 ·
I bought a few ebay lots some months ago and decided to give it a whirl last weekend. It was a 4k per side team game with 2k to each player. We both brought AM against DE/Eldar. We started super confident so we didn't play to our strengths the way we should have. So basically I'm just wondering if our list were as optimal as we thought and our lackadaisical playstyle was what caused the loss.

I brought:

Pask (Punisher, HB, HB Sponsons, Fire Barrels, Camo Netting, Extra Armor)
Demolisher (HF, Fire Barrels)
Demolisher (HF, Fire Barrels)

Executioner (HF, Plasma Sponsons, Fire Barrels)

2x Eradicator (HB, Fire Barrels)

2x Wyvern (HB, Fire Barrels)

3x Vet Squads (Autocannon, GL, 2x Flamer, Chimera w/ Fire Barrels)

Devil Dog (MM, Fire Barrels)

Hell Hound (HF, Fire Barrels)

My Teammate brought:

Tank Commander (Battle Tank, HB, HB Sponsons)
Battle Tank (HB, HB Sponsons)

3x Battle Tank (HB, HB Sponsons)

Manticore

Manticore

Vendetta
Vendetta
Vendetta

2x Vet Squads (Autocannon, Chimera)

Our enemies were a Dark Eldar list with like 6 squads Haywire Wyches in Venoms, Grotesques with a Farseer in a Raider, and a few Incubi in Raiders. The Eldar had those Melta guys in Wave Serpents, a monsterous creature of some kind, 3 really good flyers, and some kind of T6 squad in Wave Serpents. I have a hard time remembering what all they brought because more than half of it was destroyed turn 1. They survived turn 2, and then turn 3 is when it all went to hell. My partner got annihilated and I just couldn't hold off what little they had left alone.

Is this a normal type of Mechanized list? What do most people bring? I know I went crazy on some of the upgrades, I just needed to add points and the fire barrels saved my bacon against those wyches.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
The way I used them was to sport a BS4 autocannon and grenade platform. They didn't move at all until the end of the game and just sat side by side with LRs on the ends to make an AV12 wall. The two flamers were to overwatch my opponent's 5 man haywire wych squads to death before they could bust the tanks.

The Pask Punisher is probably my favorite unit in the game right now. I just knew 29 S5 shots would benefit more from the BS4 than any other variant, plus the tank orders get it in range turn 1. Adding Pask just makes that tank evil. I knew that with me using tank orders to rush up, and then next turn with tank orders be able to target a different unit, the Demolishers made the most sense. Different target priority, also needs to close the distance early. A perfect pair.

What screwed us was everything else. My partner literally killed nothing with the vendettas. He took all TLLCs and still missed 80% of the time. And the ones that went through got jinked. His dice hated him. He also didn't bring fire barrels and his standard russes went down hard to the wyches. My Wyvern battery was awesome, killed a lot, and was targeted early by the Eldar at the begging of the DE player. My teammates Manticores may have killed two units. Again, his dice hate him. My Executioner and Eradicators didn't do much. Either missed their marks or were out of range due to bad placement on my part.

But to answer your question... yes! I love the new tank chart. I was one of those razorspam guys in 5th so this makes me very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.