Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Heretics! I'm shedding some power armour on this one. I've never played as IG before, but the guy who I'm buying this army off of used it against me so much I have some ideas of what I want to do. This is the stuff I want to have in the list:

Elites:

3x 5 man Stormtrooper squads w/ 2x PG each, PP on sergeants (always doing the Airborne Assault Special Operation)

Troops:

2x 10 man Veteran squads w/3x MGs in Chimeras

2x 10 man Veteran squads w/3x PGs one in a Chimera

Fast Attack:

Valkyrie w/ LC - transport for the other 10 man PG vets

potentially the Bane Wolf tank to support the Chimera vets

Heavy Support:

Here there's some options. I really like the Executioner, but also like the Demolisher. I will have two chassis for these, and weapons for either variant for them both. There's also two Battle Tanks and a Manticore.

To be honest I really don't even have the codex on hand, this is actually just off the top of my head from all the times I had to face it. I'm not sure what this amounts to in points, or what to do about my HQ or my Heavy Support slots. I will predominantly be facing 3+ armour saves and a bunch of AV11/12.

Any help for a new recruit to the Guard? I can add in an ADL w/ QG or CR, and I know my way around allied detachments of BA and IF from my marine armies. I could also add in an Inquisitor (as an Inquisition Detachment) with a few Servo Skulls to help out those boys deep striking even more, not to mention adding a psyker to the mix with Prescience on a Veteran squad.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hey Ntaw, I've got some suggestions that may help.

A forward scouts vet squad with harker and an ADL/QuadGun is a neat setup unless you face a flamer/denies cover army a lot. These guys can rock a HWT and special weapons right up at the edge of your deployment zone or infiltrate if required (not the ADL, obviously).

This can be boosted with a Lord Commissar as an HQ. Put in this squad, he has a whole bunch of 2+ cover save ablative wounds, the option of firing the Quad Gun Manually - BS5 so 4 x S6 shots, hitting on 2s, rerolling, skyfire/interceptor. Good for your AV11/12 enemies, and 2+ saves on 24" plasma vets can be nice.

This makes a pretty rock solid infantry brick - until it gets assaulted.

CCS can be a hefty hitter, with BS4 veterans and up to 4 special weapons or 2 and a HWT. Again, not flash in combat, but sometimes you need to take risks to win.
I personally tend to drop mine backfield with an Autocannon to nail incoming transports.

Heavy Support wise, it's hard to go wrong with the old LR battle tank with heavy bolter or lascannon as desire. HBs are good, as even terminators go down with enough shots. Battle Cannons hurt 3+ armour too... especially if you can get them clumped up or foolishly coming at you in combat squads.

The Manticore is probably my second favourite, it starts out good and (hit and miss) gets better and better. 3 x large blasts a turn that can wipe out hordes and damage vehicles is great. However - less good against Inf based MEq and TEq armies.

Hope that helps mate!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what CCS or HWT means, but I'm pretty sure with LRBTs if I fire the Ordnance weapon the LC and HBs are firing snap shots....so why bother with the upgrades? Can't think of a reason to fire the other weapons and not the big gun, which makes me hesitate to pay any amount of points for a weapon that is going to snap shot until I'm unlucky enough to lose my main weapon. That make sense at all?

Also, if the Lord Commissar is in the unit that goes to ground behind the ADL can he still issue the order to stand back up? As a small niggling in your advice, the QG is S7, not S6. My issue with S7 is that I'm only ever going up against AV12 fliers, and S7 just isn't a reliable way of dealing with them. It's an issue with any list, without a second flier I'm kinda boned for anti air. Only luck I've had with S7 is when I'm using my Imperial Fists devastator squads because they get to re-roll armour pens. This being said I need AA bad in my games. Would it be better to man the ADL with a larger blob of infantry or stick with a veteran squad? I like the idea of massive blobs of Guard, but am really not very familiar with their codex or how it works. Still have a lot of research to do.

I should be able to post what models specifically I will have available by the end of the weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Right. Get the codex and check out the 'lumbering behemoth' rule for leman russ - you'll see why they are awesome.

CCS = company command squad, a five man HQ that is very versatile.
HWT = heavy weapon team, as there are not many single manned heavy weapons in the IG.

Correct on S7 Quad guns, apologies for the typo. Whilst I see where you are coming from the 5+ is less than desirable for taking out the aircraft, I kinda disagree in that you are almost certain to hit with all four, which means you have four 33% chances to inflict damage. That is then in addition to the firepower your vendetta / valkyrie is putting out, which can be enough to turn 2 hull points down into 3. Having played a lot with guard, what you need to rely on generally is quantity, not quality. Lasguns kill terminators, and on of them is probably more critical than 5 of your guys. The only issue is, of course, you have no solution to landraiders.

An Icarus Las Cannon is also a good option, you lose the extra shots but you are still hitting on 2s, and you have a 4+ to penetrate and +1 on the damage chart. It also gives you a fighting chance against land raiders.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right. Get the codex and check out the 'lumbering behemoth' rule for leman russ - you'll see why they are awesome.
...but the FAQ:

Page 48 – Leman Russ Battle Tank, Lumbering Behemoth.
Replace this entry with the following: “A Leman Russ follows
the rules for Heavy Vehicles on page 83 of the Warhammer
40,000 rulebook.”
...and pg. 83 just says that they can fire all weapons at full BS if they remain stationary. It doesn't contradict pg. 71 where it comments on ordnance weapons at all. Have you seen that FAQ and does it apply in the way I think? 'Cuz I would really like to put sponsons on those LRBTs. Picked them up today, I still need to grab one more Exterminator and the Manticore.

CCS = company command squad, a five man HQ that is very versatile.
HWT = heavy weapon team, as there are not many single manned heavy weapons in the IG.
Duly noted, I've been checking out those command squads. Look like they could be fun popping out of a Valkyrie, but I like plasma vets more still I think. I think there's a couple mortars, and I can make a few LC HWTs, but likely no autocannon ones.

I kinda disagree in that you are almost certain to hit with all four, which means you have four 33% chances to inflict damage
Oh, I know the statistics say that it should work. I wish I could take two, in good Guard fashion, and take them down with rate of fire. I could try the ILC, but I'm less trusting of the one dice over the 4 specially since the stats support the QG anyway.

The only issue is, of course, you have no solution to landraiders.
I'm the only one in my gaming group that plays Land Raiders, and really...I do have 6 MGs in two Chimeras coming up in the list. I could swap the plasmas out of the Valkyrie for more MGs. I have SO FRIGGING MANY melta gun models.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment man, I'm really stoked to be playing this army.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hey mate, glad to hear you are liking the dialogue! I really do enjoy playing guard, they are a very fun army. Also, they are just so easy to identify with, being the only humans who aren't fanatics, evil inquisitors, or superhumans!

but the FAQ
Noted. However, FAQs are, as GW admits, basically suggested house rules. Why allow upgrades that cost an arm and a leg if they do nothing of value? Rules as intended - I say keep playing as per codex and if it really bothers you, talk to your gaming group to see what they prefer.

fun popping out of a Valkyrie
Indeed, just watch out for where you choose to hover and unload, as that is a very vulnerable time for the old Imperial Navy. Grav Chutes are also pretty risky... but hey, fun, right?

I could try the ILC, but I'm less trusting of the one dice over the 4 specially since the stats support the QG anyway.
Fair enough. I don't know that the benefits don't outweigh the costs though, I think it's always worth squeezing in heavy weapons where you can. Especially ones that can (in theory) shoot right to the board edge.

really...I do have 6 MGs in two Chimeras coming up in the list.
I really really thought the same, but what I didn't realise is that LR are 4 hull point vehicles (so I'm unlikely to kill them with 3 melta shots outside 6") that are usually full of scary close combat marines. Don't get me wrong, Melta Vets in Chimeras are the mainstay of my games at the moment, but it's a hard choice between throwing them away trying to bring down that beast or using them to slam into enemy armour and seize objectives.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noted. However, FAQs are, as GW admits, basically suggested house rules.
Unfortunately that FAQ was what spurred the guy I got all this IG from to switch to CSM and he is my main opponent, so I doubt I will get that to fly. Plus I have no real issue following the FAQs, most of them only serve to clarify things. PLUS from what I've been reading there's a new IG dex coming out soon, so I am not getting too married to the rules as they are currently written.

Indeed, just watch out for where you choose to hover and unload, as that is a very vulnerable time for the old Imperial Navy. Grav Chutes are also pretty risky... but hey, fun, right?
The whole point of this game!! SO MUCH FUN. I'm used to the worrisome hover drop off from my pair of Stormravens in my Blood Angel army, but really with a single lascannon I have zero real hopes of accomplishing much with my Vendetta in an Anti Air role. I feel like a Valkyrie would be more appropriate, and I have a literal handful of lascannons I could use...

I don't know that the benefits don't outweigh the costs though, I think it's always worth squeezing in heavy weapons where you can.
Oh, I know I need it. I'm just still pissed about how much money introducing the Flier type has literally cost my wallet so that I can still play this game remotely competitively against my friends. Something I have been thinking of is putting an Inquisitorial detachment in here with Coteaz and 3 PC servitors manning the ADL. 160 points for a small scoring unit that has access to Prescience and 3 more plasma blasts.

Melta Vets in Chimeras are the mainstay of my games at the moment, but it's a hard choice between throwing them away trying to bring down that beast or using them to slam into enemy armour and seize objectives
My buddy used to play this army against me with two or three MG vet squads in Chimeras and one Stormtrooper squad DSing with MGs, it worked whenever I rolled up on him with three Land Raiders. I very much see your point though. I won't be facing anything above a lone AV13 Vindicator unless I face one of my own armies (fat chance), so I'm not too worried about AV14 showing up just yet.

Here's a rough list of the models I got:

1x Valkyrie
4x Chimeras
2x LRBTs
2x Executioner/Demolishers
1x Manticore
1x LC sentinel
55x ish standard lasgun guardsmen
1x lascannon HWT
1x mortar HWT
1x autocannon HWT
2x heavy bolter HWT
10x flamer models
4x grenade launcher models
12x melta gun models
8x plasma gun models
various sergeants/captains

I have bits for more PGs and LC HWTs. What do you think of a list something along the lines of this?

Lord Commissar - BP, BG

2x 5 man Stormtrooper squads - 2x PGs, PP (both DSing)

3x Vet squads - 3x MGs each in Chimeras

2x Vet squads - 3x PGs

Bane Wolf - HF (to accompany the MG vets)

Valkyrie - LC (PG vets here)

LRE - PC sponsons, LC

LRE - PC sponsons, LC

LRBT - hull HB

ADL - QD (LC and PG vets go here)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Nice, that's a list to make your power armoured opponent flinch back in fear. Even terminators will need to be very creative to get around that.

If you had the points, I'd begin to put HWT into the Vet Squads to give them more options still - you'd be surprised how much difference a krak missile can make in overwatch against assault marines, or in taking out a vindicator on a random offchance.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you had the points, I'd begin to put HWT into the Vet Squads to give them more options still - you'd be surprised how much difference a krak missile can make in overwatch against assault marines, or in taking out a vindicator on a random offchance.
I will likely build that up some, both my gaming buddies are verging on breaking the 2k mark with their armies so I will be stepping up hopefully to at least 2.5k games in the near future.

After looking over the rules for Vendettas and after looking over the model my buddy gave me I am in high confidence that I can (time allowing, I have SO MANY projects currently underway in all aspects of my life) convert twin linked LC sponsons for the model to replace the drum looking missile launchers. A shame, I actually like the look of those missile pods way more than I do LCs, but hey. This painted army I just bought ain't really about my opinions of aesthetic. Seriously though, three friggin' twin linked lascannons for only 30 points more??? The only other thing I know that sports that much LC (and a touch more) is the Land Raider Exterminatus, and that clocks in at 300 points. I want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts