Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying hello and thank you for selecting to read this plea for help!=D

Im new to Warhammer and just went 50/50 on a dark vengence set and am getting the Dark Angels and have been told i can model the DA to look like GK becuse GK are the army i trully want to go with.

1.) Whats a good 2k point list? i like to be able to dish out damage with out being as weak as paper. my main concern is going again like Tau.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well first and foremost welcome to Grey Knights! Unfortunately I can't imagine a way of modeling the Dark Vengeance Dark Angels to look like Grey Knights without quite a bit of modelling and extra bits. The Knights are armed with storm bolters and swords (mostly) which the DV box lacks in extras.

Second, I would read the Codex and assemble a 2k list based upon what you want to bring. There are certain units many will regard as "must have" but you need to give us something to critique. The Army List section is for you to bring a list to look at not for us to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
There are actually a few decent Grey Knight builds, all of which are perfectly viable at 2000pts. They can also be fairly variable in playstyle- some are very aggressive (stuff like Dual Stormraven lists) whereas others tend to be a bit more balanced (Hybrid GK or Henchmen).

It really depends on what you want your army to do, but if I were to suggest a good army to learn the game on, it'd be something very similar to what I run- Hybrid Grey Knights. This army brings a bit of everything, so you'll be exposed to most of the facets of the game, and hence be able to learn by doing. A list without allies would look something like-

Inquisitor Coteaz

Grey Knight Strike Squad (10 Strong) with 2 Psycannons, Psyammo, Rhino
Grey Knight Strike Squad (10 Strong) with 2 Psycannons, Psyammo, Rhino
Grey Knight Strike Squad (10 Strong) with 2 Psycannons, Psyammo

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband with 6 Psykers, 3 Warrior Acolytes with Plasma Guns, Chimera
Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband with 6 Psykers, 3 Warrior Acolytes with Plasma Guns, Chimera

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband with 4 Death Cult Assassins, 2 Crusaders

Stormraven with Twin-Linked Assault Cannons, Twin-Linked Multimelta, Hurricane Bolters, Psyammo

Dreadnought with 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons, Psyammo

This comes to 1964pts, so you've got 36pts to play with. There's a pretty good selection of stuff here, I only included one Stormraven since you mentioned Tau are a problem, and they kinda crump flyers like it's no-one's business. Unfortunately, this means that you probably want at least 2 dreadnoughts, because basically everything else in the codex sucks at anti air.

In terms of buying stuff, I'd start by grabbing the 30 Strike Marines and Coteaz- basically any army based on this core will be pretty solid. You can then have a bunch of plug-and-play options with allies- Imperial Guard, Tau and Necrons are all prime candidates here, as they fill the main gaps of Grey Knights, and benefit quite a lot from having 30 scoring Storm Bolter guys around.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First, welcome to the Knights brother! As The_One said, I’d read the Codex. I even recommend reading all of the fluff too as it’s half of what I like about the army. After that I’d see what others are saying about the units. Like these two links for instance:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126386
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126440
Obviously you can’t start here because you need to have a point of reference from the Codex to really understand what’s being said. Also, since there are no elite, fast attack, or heavy support write ups (yet?) it amplifies the need to read the codex.

After both reading the Codex and the various write-ups, I’ve learned a lot by reading through the army lists on the boards; especially the ones that have a lot of conversation about what unit/capabilities to bring and why. The last thing that I’ve found helpful is to watch video battle reports. The list used in the video is not as important as seeing how different units work on the tabletop, and to learn from others experiences (like where/when to move and why or why not). It can help you see how different tactics play out, and as a bonus give you some modeling ideas! You have to take whatever list you come up with to the paint shop eventually!

All of that may sound like a lot of work, but it will really pay off when you go to buy your next set of models! Since you will have worked out what you need then you won’t waste any money in your early purchases. (You’ll also know what to tell your family that you’d like so you don’t get something that won’t see the table or that you don’t want to paint.)

I’d second the vote to start by grabbing 30 Strikes and Coteaz.

Enjoy your Knights!

---
edited to correct a typo

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm currently overseas, and so don't want to be writing the rest of the breakdown till I'm back home, but stay tuned, I will be doing stuff for Elites, FA and HS, but they'll hopefully be done by the end of August.

At any rate, Troops and HQ are probably the most important part of tye army anyways, so you might as well grab the codex and have a read of the two articles that are finished.

Posted from phone, so kindly forgive any poor grammar/spelling :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up the Codex Today and have started reading through it. and also gonna start watching the battle reports and continue reading the forums Thank You!!! all for you help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts