Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the game still, and working on a Chaos Army. Most is Dark Vengeance, but I've got a few other pieces over the year. Any tips appreciated. I'm still not sure how many points this is, still working on that.

I'm not entirely sure if the Chosen are elites or not.

HQ
Chaos Lord
Power sword, plasma pistol
Frag/Krak grenades
Aura of D.G.

Troops
Chaos Cultists
Champ w/2 close combat weps
1 flamer
8 with close combat weps and autopistol

Chaos Cultists
Champ w/shotgun and close combat wep
1 heavy stubber
9 autoguns

CSM Chosen
Champ w/power maul, bolt pistol, bolt gun
1 lightning claw
1 power axe, bolt pistol, bolt gun
1 power fist, bolt pistol, bolt gun
2 close combat weps, bolt pistol, bolt gun
All have krak/frag grenades

Fast
Raptors
Chainsword, lightning claws, bolt pistol, plasma gun, melta gun

Heavy
Dreadnought
Plasma Cannon and Power claw

Helbrute
Multi-melta and power fist

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hi there Dark.Apostle. Do you have a copy of the Chaos Space Marine Codex? I'm guessing you may not, and if not that's the best place to start.

Chosen are an elites choice as are helbrutes/chaos dreadnoughts. Despite seaming large and menacing, helbrutes are not heavy support choices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I've got the codex, I'm just having a hard time telling what each unit is classified as. Thanks for the info though :) I can fix things up a bit then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, after digging through the codex more, it seems I just hadn't gone far enough in to see the units broken down. So I guess I didn't need to buy that damned Dreadnought... lol, thought it was a heavy when I did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now days every chaos army needs! A helldrake with a baleflamer. Some obliterators with mark of tzentch or nurgle at least 2 deep strikeing as you have a foot army you need plenty of deep strikeing units that will survive up front till the rest of your army gets there. Like a full squad of termies with mark of tzentch or nurgle 2 combi melta a chainfist power fist. At least 2 power swords and a pair of lightning claws. Your lord need a daemon wepon to give him an additional d6 attacks otherwise he will any real damage n lose the aura trust me a 5 up invun is not worth it take the sigl and mark of tzentch and least give him melta bombs and get your lod a ride a raidier prefered or rhino otherwise he will be targeted I recommend you get an ageis line 2 it will give your hellbrutes a Really good cover same and you can have a cultist champion manning the quad gun 4 shots twin licked your not gonna miss much. And forr 100pts its well worth it go to ground youll get a 2 up Cover save. And p.s. Get some goddamn chaos space marines for troops! Iver big 20 man squads with 2 meltas or 5man squads in rhino with a melta. And you might want to consider a 5 man havoc squad with 4 autocannons. And melta bombs on every squad otherwise if you face an army with a raider you will not even scratch the paint work

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan to add more when I get the money. Some rhino's for sure. I've been torn with replacing my Lord with a Daemon Prince as my HQ, but not sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got Abaddon and he's ace. I use him and the Lord with a few add ons. Plonk Abaddon in with a load of cultists, it works a treat!

·
Registered
268 Posts
What you need most are more scoring units (troops) and ways to move quickly down the board. CSM, Rhinos then Bikes should probably be your next purchases. To play right now at 750pts you can run:

Huron Blackheart - 160

5 Chaos Marines - 95
bolt pistol & ccw, champ w/ lightning claw, melta bombs

Chaos Cultists - 55
flamer

Chaos Cultists - 65
heavy stubber, 8 autoguns, champ w/shotgun

Hellbrute - 125
plasma cannon and power scourge

Helbrute - 105
multi-melta and power fist

Raptors - 145
2 melta guns, champ w/ pair of lightning claws

160 + 55 + 65 + 95 + 125 + 105 + 145
= 750

With just a few more marine models you could run 1000pts:

HQ
Huron Blackheart - 160
I'm not sure how comfortable you are with conversion but you can use the power fist and power axe from the Chosen to make a decent Huron. Infiltrate will help make up for your lack of rhinos. Leads the CSM squad and infiltrates aggressively forward.

Chaos Sorcerer - 155
force sword, plasma pistol, mastery level 3, spell familiar, aura of dark glory
The old Lord. You can get creative for the spell familiar. Leads a Cultist squad. This is a bit HQ heavy but Chaos HQs are pretty good and easy to convert. This is third pick for infiltration.

Troops
10 Chaos Marines - 180
bolt pistol & ccw, 2 melta guns, champ w/ lightning claw, melta bombs
The old Chosen squad. You could say the power maul is broken so it's just a normal ccw, just make sure you don't paint it glowing :). Retinue for Huron.

Chaos Cultists - 55
flamer
Retinue for the Sorcerer.

Chaos Cultists - 65
heavy stubber, 8 autoguns, champ w/shotgun
Stays in reserve then camps on your backfield objective.

Elites
Hellbrute - 125
plasma cannon and power scourge
You want consistency in your units. The plasma cannon is anti-infantry and sometimes light anti-tank. By giving enemies -D3 weapon skill with the power scourge you will hit on 3+ rather than 4+ more often. This lets you kill more troops at the loss of 2 strength. It also gives you survivability against WS5-7, preventing them from hitting you on 3+. Str 8 is still plenty against light armor.

Helbrute - 105
multi-melta and power fist
Tank and monstrous creature hunter right here.

Fast
Raptors - 150
2 melta guns, champ w/ pair of lightning claws, melta bombs
The plasma gun really hurts you here. You can't use it before charges and it makes you worse at tank hunting. This is second pick for infiltration. You can try to deep strike in vehicles' rear armor with the meltas but it's pretty risky. Target saturation and getting in you opponents face as quickly as possible are more important to this list.

160 + 155 + 180 + 55 + 65 + 125 + 105 + 150
= 995

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Although i'm not keen on the lvl 3 Sorceror, the list up here is pretty fun and badass.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the fluffiness of the special characters. You are free to make equivalent Word Bearers models with your own fluff that counts as the special characters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, though for now I'll probably stick with one of the two HQ's I have. DP or Lord, I may look into getting a Dark Apostle later, after I've managed some CSM and Rhino's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts