Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to start playing 40K, but never had a chance to put an army together. Now that I can, I've always liked Chaos, and Nurgle seems like it would be awesome. Most people around here play at a 1500 point limit, so I made an army list that I'd like to put together (give or take a few points), I'm just looking for some tips, anything would be greatly appreciated.

HQ

Chaos Lord - MoN, Bike, lightning claw/Powerfist, Sigil of Corruption, Melta bombs

Troops

7 X Plague Marines - 2X Plasma, Power Axe, Gift of Mutation, Melta Bombs
Rhino

7 X Plague Marines - 2X Plasma, Power Axe, Gift of Mutation,, Melta Bombs
Rhino

20 X Cultist

Fast Attack

6 X Chaos Bikers - MoN, Powerfist, 2X Melta Guns, Gift of Mutation, Melta Bombs

Heldrake

Heavy Support

Obliterator 2 - MoN

Havoc X 5 - 4X Autocannon, MoN, Gift of Mutation

1485 points

I was wondering if buying a Chaos Battleforce might be a good start, then adding onto it from there?

Thanks!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Welcome to the game!

A few notes, as I'm sure that someone else will also jump in (with alot more experience than me), that I noticed straight off the bat.

1) Sigil of Corruption on your Lord. I would dump it, as for a Nurgle army it isn't worth i. If you went Tzeentch and got it down to like 4+, then we could talk.

2) Havoc and gift of mutation. Again, I would probabyl dump this as the benefit they get out of it is near null. Gift of Mutation is best for those units that are in the fray and close, rather than those who stand far away and just go boom.

What's your overall strategy? I notice that you have alot of high STR weaponry (Plasma and melta) but not alot for infantry. Against a swarm army like Orks or Tyranids, you would probably be outnumbered pretty fast :(

Just a few notes from here - But good luck!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I suggest you to drop all gift of mutation (they are funny but way overcosted and unreliable), swap the powerfist on the bike champion with an axe. Add 10 pts and you can have a Sorceror to buff your Cultists. Otherwise you could add 2 nurgle spawns for the lulz.

Btw the chaos box is a good way to start if you are willing to use regular marines (maybe a little bit modified) as Plague Marines.
Welcome to heresy!

EDIT: about the sigils, they grant the 4++, so they are perfect for a lord.

·
Registered
430 Posts
List looks good and even! few changes I would make to trip fat and help the list synergise a bit more (some may have been mentioned before):

Drop all the gifts of mutation which should get you 40pts, they are only really if u have 10 spare pts and dont know where to put them which is quite rare in CSM.

I would Drop the Cultists down to a squad of ten, if ur using them for late game reserve home objective holding then ten is all u need, saves you 40 more points

I would then drop the Powerfist on the biker champ down to a power sword or maul, and since plaguemarines are I3 may as well actually take powerfists on them instead of power weapons and melta bombs. (The only time I would take axes would be for Chaos Terminators with Mark of Tzeentch as u want to avoid unweildy at all costs with chaos's challenge rule)

With the letf over points i would take another obliterator.

Lord is perfect set up, Havocs are awesome (as long as mutation is dropped), Oblits with nurgle are awesome and Heldrake speaks for itself.

Hope ive helped!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked over the list again, taking into consideration what was said - curious about horde armies though - dropping a few points, then splitting up the 6 bikes into 2 groups, and maybe adding flamers over the meltas?

HQ

Chaos Lord - MoN, Bike, lightning claw/PF, Sigil of Corruption, Melta bombs

Troops

7 X Plague Marines - 2 Plasma, power fist
Rhino

7 X Plague Marines - 2 Plasma, power fist
Rhino

10 X Cultist

Fast Attack

6 X Chaos Bikers - MON, Power sword, 2 Melta Guns, Melta Bombs

Heldrake - Bale Flamer

Heavy Support

Obliterator 2 - MoN

Obliterator 1 - MoN

Havoc X 6 - 5X Autocannon

1496 points

I think ordering a few battle forces might be the way to go with this, then remodeling them a bit using bits of green stuff and i have a friend that has some old Nurgle bits he said I could have, and some heavy weapons for the havocs. It would give me the 20 marines, the 2 rhinos and the 6 bikes.

Thanks for the advice though guys, I wasn't sure how the list would stack up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just a not that havocs can only have 4 weapons not 5.

Otherwise awesome list.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
OK, I had a crack at this list - here goes:

HQ
• Lord of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle; Chaos bike; paired lightning claws, meltabombs
135 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plague Marines
– 2 meltaguns; Rhino with combi-bolter
228 points
• 7 Plague Marines – 2 flamers; Rhino with combi-bolter
218 points
• 7 Plague Marines – 2 flamers; Rhino
213 points

FAST ATTACK
• 3 Plague Bikers
– Mark of Nurgle; lightning claw; 2 meltaguns; Veterans of the Long War
126 points
• 3 Plague Bikers – Mark of Nurgle; lightning claw; 2 flamers
113 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 7 Havocs
– Mark of Nurgle; 4 autocannons
162 points
• 2 Obliterators – Mark of Nurgle
152 points
• 2 Obliterators – Mark of Nurgle
152 points

TOTAL
1,499 points

At 1,500 points I think three troops units are pretty much a must. I put VotLW on the first Biker squad mainly because I hate having even 3 points going to waste; I figure these could be the Lord's retinue or something.

hth

·
Registered
358 Posts
HQ
chaos lord (MoN,bike,power lance+ power sword,SoC,VoLW,blight nades,melta bombs)

5x bikers (MoN, 2x Melta guns,power sword)

Troops
7x Plague marines (2x Plasma guns,Combie melta)

Heavy
5x Havocs (MoN,4x Autocannons)

5x Havocs (MoN,4x Autocannons)

5x Havocs (MoN,4x Lascannons)

Aegis Defence line (Quad Cannon)

this is the nurgle list i run and its ruins people they havent lost yet in games vs marines,csm ,deamons, nids and guard

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
HQ
chaos lord (MoN,bike,power lance+ power sword,SoC,combie melta,VoLW,blight nades,melta bombs)
This lord cannot have lance+sword+combi
Each weapon replaces a weapon of the lord (bolt pistol and close combat weapon)
So you can have a sword that replace the ccw and a combimelta that replaces the bolt pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts