Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a returning 2nd-3rd ed player and I hoping to get some advice on the current armies and state of the game. Currently playing (or attempting to) Sisters of Battle, Orks, and Necrons. Thanks.

Shane

·
Registered
763 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There's plenty of threads going around about the current state of things from what I've skimmed, so hopefully you won't be left hungry there.

Good to have you on HO.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Not sure what state Orks are in at present, but Necrons are considered to be pretty strong at present.

SOB just got an update to their rules via an e-book codex. It's nowhere near a proper update, but it's given them a few more current upgrades to bring them more in line with other armies.

As Nordicus said - pics are always welcome :victory:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Welcome, fellow heretic!
i second my companions above: pics!!!
And about codexes: necrons have a pretty good one, SoB got an online update and some love. The orks atm are one of the oldest codex around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to get around to taking some pictures. Most of my necron army is finished, painted wise at least. Although its missing most of the newer units. My sisters are in the beginning stages of being painted and my orks are a little behind the sisters. I have a fully painted eldar and marine army as well, just haven't played either of them since 1996 or so.... heh.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
eldar and marines just got a shiney new codex, so i bet you'll notice som changes there eheh

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard! :so_happy:

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Sisters orks and necrons, that is indeed an unusual mix. Why those armies if you don't mind me asking? Although I note there are no marines of any kind. Welcome to heresy online.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In response to your question shaantitus about why those 3 armies I'll break down by each one. I stopped playing in 2004 and just started back this march.

Necrons : Crons was the last army I was playing before I stopped back in 2004, which I had been doing tourneys with, so its one of my better painted and was a fairly complete list. Now with the 5th ed dex obviously I'm missing a lot of the newer units but I had started to pick some of the newer models (flying croissants ftw.)

Sisters : A friend of mine pointed out this past june that I have a habit of picking the "sucky/bad performing" choices in games and trying to make them work, and then proceeded to ask me why I didn't play sisters. I didn't really have a good answer at the time, but he was right about my habit. 2 weeks later I was hunting down the WD codex, trying to get figures wholesale/ebay and even went as far to buy a bunch straight from GW. With a ton of trial and error I started to feel like the sisters had great potential to put a hurting on the current good meta armies. (Made a tau player nearly jump out of his chair over the 2 immolators and 4 rhinos that lept across the board my turn 1.) Out of 30-40 games played with the WD codex I had lost around 12. Some of those were losses due to playing with unit ideas, some from just bad choices, and some from extremely bad luck, but I never felt like my army was out-classed once. I've only been able to play one game with the new codex so far, but I am not certain if the new codex has helped sisters or hurt them.

Orks : As of 2004, orks were 1 of 4 armies that I had zero models for (orks, tau, sisters, dark angels.) A month ago I had 2 games in a row with sisters that my dice had decided I needed to just pack up and go home (the first game I literally killed 1 marine and a razorback during all of turn 3-6, with having 3 exorcists and melta/flamers midfield.) Orks always seemed like an army that was fun to play win or lose, quirky or not. So I decided to start picking up an ork army, which is mostly fleshed out already, minus a few models.

There you have it, I do have marines, eldar, dark eldar, csm, ig, tyranids, and even a genestealer cult army I just haven't played any of them since 2004.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
That makes sense, it is pretty unusual for someone to have no marines at all in this setting. Sounds like you enjoy it, welcome back to the hobby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts