Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I play with a few people anw have just started with eldar. Being a IG man myself, i know my usual tactics will fall very short if used in this army. I play against mostly SM, Ork, and other IG. WHat are my must haves? What should i do with what i have? Playing mostly 1800 - 2000pts

I have:

HQ:
Farseeer w/ warlock body guard (4x warlock)
Fuegan

Elite:
Banchees (8x)
Harlequin (4x)

Troop:
Dire Avengers (10x)
Rangers (5x)
Guardians (30x)
Guardian Jet Bikes (5x)

Fast Attack:
Swooping Hawks (5x)
Vyper (3x)

Heavy Support:
Support Weapon (6x)
Dark Reapers (5x)
Wraithlord (2x)
War Walker (2x)
Falcon (1x)

As well as 3 wave serpents for transport.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
how big is your Warlock body guard, and how many points you want to build up to? that will make it easier for some of us to help you out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 4 warlocks in the body guard. Will be playing around 1800 to 2000 points. Thank you for the fast post. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Wow, that's quite a selection for just starting off! Great catch! Edit* Holy Cow! Wall of Text!

Unfortunately, the point costs for half that stuff isn't in my head as I rarely use Guardian Defenders (I am assuming Defenders, they aren't holding swords are they?), Support Weapons, or Vypers. Anyway, here I go! Tell me how it sounds so far.

145 Farseer Guide, Doom, Runes of Ward and Wit, Spirit Stones (Basic Farseer set up to bolster Dire Avengers)

160 8 Howling Banshees inc Exarch w/ Executioner, War Shout, and Acrobatic (Just get them close enough to Marines or Guard to work their magic. I like having both powers on my Exarch just in case)
145 Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, Bright Lance

152 10 Dire Avengers inc Exarch w/ Dual Catapults and Blade Storm (Best Infantry Killing Troop we have...)

(Gonna have to check my math on these Guardian Defenders...)
210 20 Guardian Defenders w/ EML and an accompanying Embolden Warlock (for sitting on Home Base!)

130 10 Guardian Defenders w/ Scatter Laser and an accompanying Destructor Warlock (Should you need a quick fix to a small problem)

95 5 Rangers (for early game pot shots, can jump into Falcon later)

180 3 Vypers each with a mounted Shuriken Cannon and a Chin Cannon (Not my favorite unit, but they'll help)

155 EML/BL Wraithlord with 2 Flamers (Tough Guys, they can take a few hits and dish a few out mediumly well)
155 EML/BL Wraithlord with 2 Flamers
180 Falcon with Holo-Fields, Spirit Stones, and an EML

Should come out to about 1997 points.

Now, my reasoning for pairing a Falcon with Rangers is that as you only had 10 Dire Avengers, I didn't want to split up the one large squad. I figured that with the lack of melta, you could use more anti-tank in the list so the Falcon needed to stay, since Dark Reapers wouldn't likely make the cut vs IG or Orks. Loading the Rangers into the Falcon in the last couple turns (or when they close in on your lines) will make them a fast little scoring unit. I went Rangers over Jetbikes, as they are less likely to be targeted as early and can ride in a transport.

You COULD switch the Rangers for 5 Jetbikes with a single Shuriken Cannon, and change the Falcon for some Support Weapons of some sort. It would be interesting, but I'm not sure it'd go over as well. I have never even seen Support Weapons on a table before, they are just not up to par.

I would look into grabbing some more Dire Avengers when you can. You probably will want some Fire Dragons also. With so many Heavy Support options already, I would expand on that part of army later on. I'd say Elites, Troops, and Transports are next in line.

When building Eldar lists, it is good to have a theme in mind. Do I want to be Fast? Tough? Assaulty? Shooty? Thinking about what direction to send you're list from the beginning will help make sure everything works together in the end. While this is true with most armies, Eldar tend to rely on this symbioses.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
try:

HQ
Farseer: drop the Warlocks

ELITE
Banshees in Serpent: put the Farseer here

TROOPS
Dire Avengers in Serpent

Guardians + Warlock + Weapon Platform: place within range of the Avatar to spread Fearless on the Guardians; should be in two units of 15 or you could go 3 units of 10 for more platform shots. take EML. make sure your Warlocks are upgraded to Farseers.

Pathfinders: use them all

Jetbikes: use them all, keep in Reserves for an objective grab, of course grab Chin Cannons

FAST
Vypers: typically, you'll be told not to use them; typically you shouldn't but keep them cheap (Chin Cannons all around) and zip 'em across the board to distract anything that would shoot at your walking horde of Guardians.

HEAVY
Wraithlords: use them both, get them Wraith Swords and BL as support to your Guardians

War Walkers: Outflank them and use SL.

obviously this is not the best list possible, but the idea here is to create a wall of Guardians + 3 MCs advancing forward whilst your Vypers and Serpent distract your opponent.

your list has the odd problem of not having enough hard hitting units to go in transports. you need more Dire Avengers, conventional thinking would also say you need more Banshees or Fire Dragons.

also i didn't recommend putting Guardians in Serpents (which you could do) because with 3 transports and a Falcon, one is necessary for the Banshees, the other is highly recommended for the Dire Avengers, which leaves you one free, so you could put one squad of Guardians in it, if you wanted to.

you don't have much of anything that will legally fit in the Falcon, but if you have points you could simply add it to your list for the sake of fire support.

Bright Lances on all your tanks though, you'll needed as template weaponry (most things really) will kill this list fast.

good hunting.

EDIT: ninja'ed by Styro! Damn we had similar ideas...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am leaning more towards the fire dragons, the ork player has a deff roller (sp?) he has been waiting to use, and the space marine player is terminator and dreadnaught maxed. I can usually outmaneuver them both as IG, so doing so with this army should be simple. Thank you for all your help and if any new ideas turn up, please do post them.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Oh yeah, if you can regularly expect to see Mech of any sort, Fire Dragons are the guys for you. Bright Lances will also help to bring down that Battle Wagon of his, but so will being fast and hitting his flanks. I find the bigger use for Fire Dragons against Orks is bringing down a squad of Nobz like it was nothing.

If you are wanting to outmaneuver then Jetbikes and/or Transports are the way to go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts