Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually play with my buddies down at my LGS, but whenever there's 4 or more of us and we want to do teams, I'm always the one who no one wants because I play chaos and most of them use... well, the guys who hate chaos. I have around 3k of chaos and I want to start something new so I thought, "Why not Eldar?"

Any ideas on a basic kind of scheme for an Eldar army? I mainly play khorne or tzeentch. I play more towards fluff than being a competitive jerk and I really want to get a 1000 point list down before I start shelling out cash over the course of probably 2 weeks for the models and paint to field them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Do you know what sorta craftworld you want, or theme in mind. General rule of thumb for eldar is:

Alaitoc = Rangers and stealthy units
Ulthwe = Farseers and phycic powers
Saim-hann = speed/ jetbikers and vypers
Iyannden = wraith lords and powerful hitters
Biel tan = Aspects and elite troops

You could just do a mix and make up your own Craftworld army. Fluff wise i find the Ulthwe most interesting but if you intend to play competitive then i would recomend using a made up list or Beil -tan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like Ulthwe and Biel~tan would be the most interesting. A combination of both sounds pretty good. I'll go buy the codex later and see if I can make some sort of half-decent list to try out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, I'd avoid a combination. You can still field a variety of stuff without making it feel like more than one craftworld. Heck, the craftworlds have a bit of competitiveness.

I am a rather competitive-minded list builder, but here are a few combinations and themes/styles that'll work if you want to build a "fluffy" army with some kick here and there. My two personal picks for most fun have their titles bolded.

For Alaitoc, think a scouting and infiltrating force. Rangers, some pathfinders, Warwalkers that sneak out and jump people. This'll work better in a team game, but it could be worth it solo. Consider painting up storm squad guardians as if they were rangers and turning them into a flamer squad. Some things still need transports, but you'll want to hide them since you won't really hit target saturation for anti-vehicle fire. Harlequins would probably be your go-to CC unit. If you field rangers outside of alaitoc, consider painting some of your rangers up with alaitoc armor anyways, particularly for pathfinders. Those boys (and girls) are everywhere!

Ulthwe: Yeah, psyker heavy. Consider using a solid amount of Guardian storm squads with flamers. Consider a seer council. Councils on bikes are better, but hey, it's your call. Think about making some "black" guardians and using them as counts-as for aspect warriors. Have a way you modify guardian armour to look a bit more like DA, do the same for fire dragons. You'll probably want to max out falcons with this build, since you'll want the extra transportation if you're taking flamer squads. Just remember to not count the flamer squads towards your "scoring units" checklist when building the army.

Iyanden: DON'T DO IT! It's a really neat idea, but the unit itself is overpriced as all hell, and it's ALL METAL. Since, huge amounts of metal cost a fortune, and there's only a tiny number of molds (even once you consider the different head options. it is so very sad, really) you'll pay through the nose for copies of the same metal-heavy mold over and over. Cool idea, but it's painful to buy into and quite frankly their gun isn't even as good at killing things as, say, a fusion gun or a death spinner or something. But remember that they're all slick with the warlocks over there, if you do do it. Taking a troops unit of guard IS hardcore, but when they gave us that they ganked wraithlords just a bit (ie, they improved WG while leaving the models as they were, but slightly reduced the value of WLs while giving them a model that is only describable as "full of beauty"). The colors ARE classy, though...

Biel Tann: Blah blah blah aspect warriors, blah blah mechanized, blah all baddass and shiz. Do with if you want a completely fluffy reason to bring a solid mech'd up list with aspect warriors all fitting perfectly into your battle plan. I don't necessarily like the color scheme itself (although some people love it, YMMV), but ultimately these guys, according to the fluff, generally fight exactly the way that a competitive list that doesn't have a seer council would play things out. You can have your fluffy cake and eat your victory cake at the same time with Biel Tan.

Saim Hann: Oh fuck yes. Look at that color scheme. And screw everyone who says that the old EJB models suck: replace the rider's body with a current guardian body+head and that's still one of the better bike models they ever made. Mmm, Dayum. It gives you a rational for a seer council (ie: they aren't a seer council, they're a bunch of UTTERLY BADDASS noblemen who have been hanging out with exodites or some such crap, and some farseer is riding herd on them to make sure they behave, or maybe their chieftan knows some sort of luck ritual that keeps them all awesome in battle), and half of them have heavy flamers. Other people may shy away from bikes, but they they are as tough as a space marine who can get a 3++ save whenever he wants, they do move 18" a turn in a MSM tactic, they score and you coooould stick a heavy flamer in there if you wanted. Plus... mount everything up. Saim Hann doesn't field anything that can't keep up. Fire Prisms or falcons. Dragons, some Davus (ie, dire avengers in vehicles to make them scoring), things like that. Maybe Vypers Or spiders at high points values.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts