Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there,

New to the forums, 40k, and the whole deal. With the help of some local guys, I put together this mech eldar list and I'm looking for some suggestions, maybe strengths and weaknesses. My first list is at 1500 pts, to get me started playing with the guys at my local shop.

HQ @210
Eldrad Ulthran

Troops @180

5x Dire Avengers
5x Dire Avengers
5x Dire Avengers

Elites @ 80

5x Fire Dragons

Heavy

3x War Walker @ 90

2x Fire Prism w/ stones, Cannons, Holo-fields @ 340 (170 ea.)

Transport

3x Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones, Missile Launcher, Cannon upgrade @ 420 (140 ea.)

1x Wave Serpent (90) w/ Spirit Stones, Scatter Lasers, Cannons, Star Engine, Vector Engine @ 170

Total: 1490

I'm sure it's pretty apparent what I'm planning on doing. The 3 squads of avengers go in the serpents with cannons, and the Fire Dragons in the 1 tricked out serpent.

Since I'm new to the game, I'm looking for what some strengths and weaknesses would be for this list, and what you guys would change if you were to play it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey

First of all i would like to say welcome to eldar.
Your list is what an eldar list should look like but here are a few pointers.

Try to make your DA squads 2, 10 man squads with the bladestorm special rule because you get units who can take down alot and also capture objectives. This would allow you to drop the war walkers because at 1500 points i find war walker die too easily. So if you had 2 10 man squads in waveserpents this would be alot better for survivability.

Add one more fire dragon into your squad because these guys are good but they will probably only manage to take down one tank before they go bye bye (Only saying this because my mate collects guard and i was able to destroy his leman russ before the FD's got shot down)

I would personally drop the holofields and spirit stones on the fire prisms because these bad boys should stay at the end of the table and just fire the crap out of the opponent

Defiantly drop the star engines and vectored engines. Eldar tanks are fast enough you don't need these

My only question is what you want to do with Eldrad?

Hope this helped you a bit

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
At first glance I notice that you are miss any CC. We should see if we can fix this. It would also give Eldrad a place to hang out.

First where to get points: Drop the chin cannons. To be honest you should always be moving to prevent auto cc hits and to stay away from cc with your wave serpents. Next Star engines are great on paper, not worth the points for a 2-12" move. Vector engines only make thier money if you move more that 12" a turn. Other than the first or last turn you normally will be moving 12" so that you can shoot.

Now on to the troops. 5 DA's in a squad die way to fast and give very little in return. I second the motion for 2 squads of 10. Go with 2 blade storms.

I find a group of banshees with Eldrad makes you happy and your opponent sad. Look at a group of 8-10, exarch w/ executioner. I push for 10 but up to you.

Fire dragons again I second the motion. Add one.

As for the wave serpents, see about adding a BL to a WS, just not the one you put the dragons in. They should have the scatter lasers on the dragons wave serpent.

Fire Prisms, SS are good if you do not need the points, The holo-fields are great for keeping them alive so keep them and place them about 48" apart.

With Eldrad, keep him in with the banshees. Doom the squad you attack, fortune them, then whatever with the 3rd power. Remember to mindwar to snipe PF/PKs and heavy weapons.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree with the above posts of get cc with eldrad, it really works very well. also, if you want to invest in some dark reapers, they also do amazingly well also. especially against regular space marines

·
Registered
249 Posts
Poster 0 (original): Your war walkers need guns. I'd probably stick chin cannons on the prisms, and make the points for all this by dropping holofields/stones off at least one Prism. (What you can achieve obv. depends on what weapons you want on the walkers. I'd go all shuricannons or all scatter lasers.)

I want to disagree with all the other posters. :D
Poster 1: the point of 5 man DA squads is they never leave their serpents. In that way, they're often more survivable than ten man squads.
Poster 2: YMMV but the chin cannons are transport crackers.
Posters 2 and 3: Why on earth do you want Eldrad in cc? Having a power weapon that wounds on a 2+ (and one attack because it's 2 handed) is not a good reason to stick your fragile, fragile* psyker in harm's way. He's perfectly fine dooming cc targets from inside the transport, if cc you will have.
*Yes, fragile. The enemy don't even need to target him to sweeping advance him. Then, there are lots of things that target him just fine, rerollable 3++ save or not.

Summary: OP, I like your list.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i'd personally ditch the vector engines, trust me they aren't worth the pts, improve your dire avengers, if you want them mobile then sure transports work but said wave serpents can hold 12 models why stop at 5? war walkers die to easily as they make a very large target, i'd go for some close combat like a squad of striking scorpions or if you still want a mobile shooty and choppy kill team go with warp spiders who are shooty and choppy, difficult to kill and a bitch to shoot at when they keep moving with warp packs, why eldrad? a regular farseer with small retinue is cheaper and works better, other than that your list is pretty good for eldar at 1500pts and should cope against everything but swarmer armies eg orks who you cant engage without some close combat units to tye them up with. a few changes and your list will annihilate.
(eldar = epic coolness!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.