Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the army, trying to make decent list out of a bunch of Eldar I got on Ebay. The only strategy I'll note is the swooping hawks; everyone says these guys are terrible, but with hull points, I think they'd eat through any vehicle in a second. Any advice is appreciated!

HQ
- Farseer w/ spirit stones/ runes of warding/ doom/ mind war- 135
ELITES
- 7x fire dragons w/ wave searpent/ starcannon- 237pts
TROOPS
- 9x dire avengers w/ exarch/ two shuriken catipults/ bladestorm- 140pts
- 10x guardians w/ scatter laser- 95pts
- TOTAL POINTS:235
FAST ATTACK
- 8x Swooping hawks w/ exarch/ intercept- 185pts
- 6x warp spiders w/ exarch/ additional spinner/ powerblades- 159pts
- TOTAL POINTS: 344
Heavy support
- 5x dark reapers w/ exarch/ missile launcher/ fast shot- 217pts
- Fire prism w/ holo-fields- 150pts
- Falcon w/ bright lance/ holo-fields- 180pts
- TOTAL POINTS: 547
TOTAL POINTS: 1498

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also thinkin I might drop the two holo-feilds and a dire avener to replace my farseer with eldrad?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome to Eldar! Great list, and well balanced! However, there are some items in Eldar (and units) that you have taken that I would not recommend..

THings to remove:
1. Holofields - with Hull points, these are pretty much useless now. saving 70 pts
2. Fire Dragons - could probably go with less, 5 is enough to kill pretty much any tank. Running exarch with the flamer is a nice way to give the unit a multi-purpose. potential savings of 32 pts.
3. Warp Spiders Powerblades - these guys suck in combat, and a S3 power weapon won't do much for you. Try to stay at max range (12 inches) and then teleport away. You should be able to stay out of most charge ranges with an average roll. Savings 10 pts
4. Dark Reapers - I love these guys, but a full unit (though useful for soaking up wounds for the exarch) is definitely overkill, because of the points cost. I generally run 3, or sometimes 4 if I have the extra points. The exarch using a EML kind of makes the rest of the unit useless - aiming S5 weapons at tanks is pointless. I would stick with Tempest Launcher, and Crack Shot - 2 blast templates ignoring cover, and re-rolling wounds is nasty - and the 4 extra shots should finish off any survivors. Savings of 35-70 pts

Total savings: 182

You could fit in lots of different things with these savings, such as another Farseer, a third troop, a transport for your Dire Avengers (and capping the unit to 10), or another Fast/Elite choice! Eldar is a tad expensive at the moment, so every point counts for getting more models/firepower in! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the feedback! Yea, as the list stands now I removed the holofeilds, dropped a dire avenger and replaced my farseer with eldrad. The powerblades are a typo, definitely don't want those guys in combat. And your right about the tempest launcher in the reapers, much more appropriate!

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would definitely advise more troops choices. At the moment you have one very squishy unit in the Guardian, and one only slightly more durable other in the Dire Avengers. I'd suggest some Pathfinders or more Avengers. Maybe a Wave Serpent too for some added durability.

Eldrad would be excellent, he's very solid.

Otherwise it's a strong list.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the army, trying to make decent list out of a bunch of Eldar I got on Ebay. The only strategy I'll note is the swooping hawks; everyone says these guys are terrible, but with hull points, I think they'd eat through any vehicle in a second. Any advice is appreciated!

HQ
- Farseer w/ spirit stones/ runes of warding/ doom/ mind war- 135
Drop and take Eldrad. He should be your starting point in any army over 1200 (that wishes to include a farseer).
ELITES
- 7x fire dragons w/ wave searpent/ starcannon- 237pts
Drop 1 Fire Dragon and change the Starcannons for either an EML or SLs.
TROOPS
- 9x dire avengers w/ exarch/ two shuriken catipults/ bladestorm- 140pts
This unit needs a WS with either an EML or a SL.
Consider giving them an EML. Means they can camp on the home objective and still be a threat to most things (BS3 aside). Generally considered not worth the points by most.
- TOTAL POINTS:235
FAST ATTACK
- 8x Swooping hawks w/ exarch/ intercept- 185pts
You don't want these guys at all. Warpspiders are better.
- 6x warp spiders w/ exarch/ additional spinner/ powerblades- 159pts
With the points saved from the Hawks, you could run 2 x 6 or a big unit of 10. No to powerblades.
- TOTAL POINTS: 344
Heavy support
- 5x dark reapers w/ exarch/ missile launcher/ fast shot- 217pts
Not a fan of these anymore. The Tempest Launcher set up is better.
- Fire prism w/ holo-fields- 150pts
Drop the Holofields and get a chin-cannon.
- Falcon w/ bright lance/ holo-fields- 180pts
See above. Swap the BL for an EML.
- TOTAL POINTS: 547
TOTAL POINTS: 1498
There's my suggestions.
-Always put chin-Cannons on your vehicles. ALWAYS.
-Hawks blow, hard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be better to replace the 8 swooping hawks with 8x striking scorpions w/ exarch/ claw/ infiltrate?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Just re-read the post I made, looks like the colour codes are fucked...

In my eyes, yes it would. Scorpions are a whole lot more survivable and tend to do well against everything. Especially now, as they fight TeQ better than banshees.

Hawks are limited to either being used solely for their jump-grenade attack or shooting at guardsmen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
lots of great advise on here

first of all Eldrad is a god, he is the bomb. i take him in anything over 1250 and for a lot of 1K games, he just delivers every time.

As ew_holmes, 7 fire dragons is a little overkill but could work for taking out a squad of say sterngaurd or terminators if your not using them for tank hunting.
They will be a number one target of your opponent so dont wast too many point on them.
Saying that star cannons on their transport is also a wast keep it cheap as it will take lots of shots and if delivering the dragons won't get much chance to shoot.

agian ew_holmes hit nail on head with warp spiders. no need for the power baldes if they go into CC they are wasted and not worth the ten points.

avengers you could get away with 7 or 8 but 9 is good as well but an easy place to trim 12 points.

Dark reapers your only taking for the tempest launcher. as fast shot or crack shot and its fun but its going to get take out fast and your looking at 140= points for a bit target unit. will get newb's but will be taken out fast by anyone know what they can do. this is their main draw back anyone i play hits em hard first round and they rarely live beyond round two.

swooping hawks good t3 foes. worth it but again keep them to around 6 or 7. no need for more and try not to yo yo them too much. if you up aginst marines or nids or t4 just put in another squad of spiders. or if you want CC go for broke and go for harlies but back them up and their dynamic may not fit this list so well.

Holo fields are no use for the heavy points so keep them off and you should have lots of points left to fill out some more troops or wave serpents.

falcons are useful if guided but BS3 is a bit of a let down. however as its not twin linked can be guided to good effect.

if your facing lots of light armour look into war walkers they can be effective just keep them cheap.
you could put in a warlock with the guardians to keep them from running also use power to re roll leadership tests and you can re-roll faild psychic tests if with eldrad or seer which is useful should you roll totaly shit.

Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm stuck in exam season until April, but I'm hopin to have a few games here n there and get a feel for the Eldar. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask in, but if I include an Autarch with warp jump generator, if he is in a squad of warpspiders, is he able to use the "withdraw" exarch power with them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made a bit of a change. So I have dropped the swooping hawks in exchange for 8x striking scorpions. Lowered the reaper unit to 3, and given the exarch a tempest launcher. With the extra points (8 hawks more expensive than 8 scoropions?) Ive included an autarch with jumpack, power weapon and fusion gun. I was thinking of having him and the spiders deep strike behind the lines and mess with some rear armor values. Plus, with the autarch and spider exarch, I think thats a fairly decent close combat squad- not gunna chase terminators, but hey. I could also seperate the unit and have the autarch jumpin around causing trouble. Sounds fun to me:)
But then again, I'm here to ask if there is any reason to my madness. Any comments appreciated.

ELDAR ARMY LIST
HQ
- Eldrad- 210pts
- Autarch w/ jump pack/ power weapon/ fusion gun- 115pts
- TOTAL POINTS: 325
ELITES
- 7x fire dragons w/ wave serpent/ shuriken cannon- 212pts
- 8 x striking scorpions w/ exarch/ powerclaw/ shadowstrike- 178pts
- TOTAL PONTS:390
TROOPS
- 8x dire avengers w/ exarch/ two shuriken catapults/ bladestorm- 116pts
- TOTAL POINTS:211
FAST ATTACK
- 6x warp spiders w/ exarch/ additional spinner/ power blades- 159pts
- TOTAL POINTS: 159
Heavy support
- 3x dark reapers w/ exarch/ tempest launcher/ crack shot- 147pts
- Fire prism w/ - 115pts
- Falcon w/ bright lance- 145pts
- TOTAL POINTS: 407
TOTAL POINTS: 1492

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Made a bit of a change. So I have dropped the swooping hawks in exchange for 8x striking scorpions. Lowered the reaper unit to 3, and given the exarch a tempest launcher. With the extra points (8 hawks more expensive than 8 scoropions?) Ive included an autarch with jumpack, power weapon and fusion gun. I was thinking of having him and the spiders deep strike behind the lines and mess with some rear armor values. Plus, with the autarch and spider exarch, I think thats a fairly decent close combat squad- not gunna chase terminators, but hey. I could also seperate the unit and have the autarch jumpin around causing trouble. Sounds fun to me:)
But then again, I'm here to ask if there is any reason to my madness. Any comments appreciated.

ELDAR ARMY LIST
HQ
- Eldrad- 210pts
Lovely.
- Autarch w/ jump pack/ power weapon/ fusion gun- 115pts
With the new rules for power weapons (AP3), the cheaper Scorpion Chainsword is now a viable option... str3 isn't too hot.
- TOTAL POINTS: 325
ELITES
- 7x fire dragons w/ wave serpent/ shuriken cannon- 212pts
Drop a dragon (6 total), swap the TL-Shuri-cannon for a TL-Scatter laser and put a chin-cannon on.
- 8 x striking scorpions w/ exarch/ powerclaw/ shadowstrike- 178pts
Fine.
- TOTAL PONTS:390
TROOPS
- 8x dire avengers w/ exarch/ two shuriken catapults/ bladestorm- 116pts
Could do with a transport if I am honest...
As much as I love guardians, I'd be lying to you if I said they were any good. A unit of Rangers would be better as a home objective holder...
- TOTAL POINTS:211
FAST ATTACK
- 6x warp spiders w/ exarch/ additional spinner/ power blades- 159pts
NO POWER BLADES!
- TOTAL POINTS: 159
Heavy support
- 3x dark reapers w/ exarch/ tempest launcher/ crack shot- 147pts
Fine, just be wary of anything with a blast template. This is a gem of a target unit.
- Fire prism w/ - 115pts
Guessing that's meant to be 'w/ chin-cannon'. If so, good.
- Falcon w/ bright lance- 145pts
Drop the Lance for an EML and take a Chin-cannon.
- TOTAL POINTS: 407
TOTAL POINTS: 1492
I see where you're going with the Autarch, but other than bring in a melta weapon, he isn't really adding much to the Spiders.
Also, you only have 2 troop choices. Not good.

I suggest you drop the Autarch and take a small unit of Jetbikes. Gives you more scoring units - jetbikes can contest for objectives later in the game via turboboost.

I also advise dropping the Dark Reapers entirely and taking a Wave Serpent for the DAs. Giving it an EML and a Chin-Cannon. this ups your anti-tank which is rather on the low and gives you 3 str6 shots and a str4 blast template against infantry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, the jetbikes is certainly something to think about, I do have 5 models so its a possibility. Probably not going to go with the wave serpent for the DA, i was planning on walking them up with eldrad so he has his needed line of sight and range for his powers.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hm, well.

A thought for Eldred, keep him in the Falcon and in your deployment zone.

He can cast 3 spells, keeping the Prism, Falcon and the Reapers 'Guided'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After reading the rules for mindwar, I assumed all his powers needed LOS. Thats great to know, thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gericult, you are right, but NOT technically.

In 6th edition, Eldrad is Mastery level 3 - this means he can ALWAYS cast 3 spells per turn (limited to 1 shooting/witchfire spell).

If not in combat, one of his spells may be a duplicate of another. Technically it's the "third" spell, but I don't see any issues with casting the second _____ before the third spell. I just wanted to make sure you guys understand his rules now, since it took me several posts on here to understand them myself :p

Also I agree with the Autarch situation - PW being AP3 really makes the only viable running of an Autarch (IMHO) to be jetbike, laserlance, fusion gun, mandiblaster (6 attacks on charge, S6 PW - yes please), and I think the points would be better used on another troop, such as Pathfinders, or jetbikes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts