Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished painting up my IG army and now my wife has allowed me to start a new army! I have always liked the DE models and fluff, same reason I went with DKOK and IG, so I picked up the Wych Cult Shardstorm box set, saving some money in the process, and added two more venoms.

So here is what I have:

Succubuss
10 Wyches
3 Venoms
1 Raider
6 Reaver Jet Bikes

We are starting an Escalation league in two weeks, beginning at 500 points and adding 250 every two weeks until we get a 1500 point army, then we have a tournament with our "new" armies (I quote new because I think I'm actually the only person who started a new army for the league, others just used what they had on their shelves).

Right now, with no upgrades this is a little less than 500 points, and I don't have to use everything I have right away if someone feels there are important upgrades to make. My question is what do I buy to fill out the army? I was thinking at least 10 more wyches and another venom so I could have 4 squads of 5 flying around the table in one of the coolest models out there, in my opinion then adding 10 warriors to put in the raider to make a true pirating raid party.

Should I ally with Harlequins or even Eldar? I like fluff and was thinking of a straight Wych Cult/venom spam but I'd get bored painting just those models bu I also would like to make DE semi-competitive (50/50 win/loss is fine by me).

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Wyches are, unfortunately, a truly atrocious unit. Preferably, you'd have none at all, but as it stands gradually phase them out with Kabalite Warriors.

Units of 10 Warriors with a Splinter Cannon in a Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks and Night Shields are my bane, they really are - AV10 doesn't seem so fragile when it has a permanent 3+ cover save. Venoms are solid - I'd fill them with Trueborn with Blasters, who are a good anti-everything other than light infantry unit. My Dark Eldar-playing friend also uses Incubi to good effect - just the one squad of four, as a unit to babysit the Archon and to act as counter-assault.

Aforementioned mech Warrior squads, Trueborn in Venoms, Ravagers with Dark Lances, Razorwing Jetfighters and the Haemonculi Covens formation of a bunch of Talos (Taloses? Taloi? Talos?) seem to be the way to run with Dark Eldar. Unfortunately, outside of that they have quite limited viable options - you can use Grotesques and Mandrakes and stuff, since they're not bad, but spending points on them tends to end up giving you major anti-tank issues.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Unfortunately, outside of that they have quite limited viable options - you can use Grotesques and Mandrakes and stuff, since they're not bad, but spending points on them tends to end up giving you major anti-tank issues.
As someone who regualrly uses the Coven supplment, i take issue with you saying that only that formation is good. Dark Artisan is totally solid and so is the Grotesquire and both can be just as effective as the Corpsetheif formation.

In reference to the main book, id also consider a unit of Haywire Scourges, they can be as good if not better than Venom Blasterborn, they can just absolutly mulch vehicles to nothing, the main problem is getting ahold of the actual Haywire weapons for the models since they are only availbe in a box of Scourges but can be taken upto four in a single squad so they actualy bit can be a real pain to get ahold of, even for a single 5man squad.

Ravagers arent bad either, they can be effective gunboats so long as you keep them in cover but never move the things. Just aim and shoot, however never take a lone one, double, preferably triple. The Ravenwing flyer isnt bad either, but same as the Ravager unfortnatly, better in pairs or threes.

Oh and also, if your after cheap effective units, dont forget about empty Venoms in Fast Attack. they can be viscious, a single Venom, offers an absurd amount of Splintetr Shots, yes they dont have Splinter Racks for the rerolls but they offer enough in weight of fire, espcially for its rather low point cost.

Otherwise don't forget Kabalites in Raiders with Splinter Racks are going to be ther bread and butter of your army, they can be pretty lethal, can be a pain to remove and are nice looking models to boot. Hug that terrain though.

The Haemonculi coven supp is decent if you favour the coven units to Kabal, it can change your armies play style abit which is a nice change of pace.

Unfortunatly, while i do take issue with @MidnightSun regarding just the Talos formation being any good, his overall point is true about the army. Its not that great, not compared to everything around. If you took it and balanced it to the 7th ed books that came out around it IG, Orks etc it holds its own rather well, unfortnatly compared to everything since then its not even comparable.

If you enjoy the models, then welcome to the army, nice to have you. :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
4 venoms with witches are not so powerful alone.
They need:
1) hecatrix with haywire grenades
2) heavy hitters support

The first can be easily (15 pts) added to every unit
The second can be achieved by taking a couple more venoms and filling it with Incubi and/or Raiders with a grotesquerie
To match the witch cult theme i'd go with Incubi in venoms.

Your list could be something like this, in my mind:

Succubus, glaive, haywire granades

4 Incubi
Venom, dual cannon

5 Incubi
Venom, dual cannon

5 Withces
hekatrix w/ haywire
Venom, dual cannon

5 Withces
hekatrix w/ haywire
Venom, dual cannon

5 Withces
hekatrix w/ haywire
Venom, dual cannon

5 Withces
hekatrix w/ haywire
Venom, dual cannon

6 Reaver Jet Bikes

12 Reaver Jet Bikes

5 Scourges
4 heat lances

10 Warriors
dark lance, blaster
Raider w/nightshield

Basically an "in your face" army. Warriors in raider in rearguard with some antitank in a pinch, reavers as hitters supported by withces units and incubi as terminator crippler/ big nasty ones killers, while scourges mix roles as anti monsters or antitank in support of the melee units.
Still i can see some issues dealing with massed tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts