Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thinking of starting up daemons and here is my take on a list that should be competitive.Any CaC would be welcomed.

Hq
Herald of Tzeentch,Chariot,Bolt of Tzeentch. 95pts

Elites
5 Fiends. 150pts
5 Fiends. 150pts
5 Fiends. 150pts

Troops
8 Plaguebearers,Icon. 145pts
4 Nurglings. 52pts
5 Nurglings. 65pts

Heavy Support
Daemon Prince,Mark of Nurgle,Daemonic Flight,Noxious Touch,Aura of Decay. 200pts
Daemon Prince,Mark of Nurgle,Daemonic Flight,Noxious Touch,Aura of Decay. 200pts

Total 1740

So the basic plan for the nurglings is to allow a bigger starting wave if the 3 + comes up my favor and to tie up things like ironclads and other daemon princes and the like.Fiends for killing light armour or well any armour south of 14 all round also for munching hordes.Plaguebearers for non scatter and holding objectives.Heralds for vehicle killing and again holding stuff up.Princes for killing tanks and well everything:p.So what do you all think.

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
Hey there, welcome aboard the Daemon bandwagon, I'm new to them myself, but looking at your list I have a few ideas.
My first I will just get out of the way as...your list is pretty boring, I know stomping peoples faces is great and all, but you have to buy, paint and play this army. So I will make some suggestions that will try and add some flavour, but still be competitive.

HQ
First I love heralds....love them! The big guys are just too expensive. But three Tzeentch is fine and all, but why not try a few others instead, I know people will shoot me for saying but why not epidemius or a herald of nurgle, either can be added to a group of plaguebearers, and the former makes all those units with MON so much better. And it doesnt need to be mono-nurgle to work. The latter however can be given breath, cloud of flies and noxious touch to really help out a single PB squad. Or add the blue scribes for a little bit of colour to the army.

ELITES
Fiends are pretty awesome, but two squads of six with unholy might, should do the trick, and save you some points and an elite slot to choose something else.

TROOPS
For this section, add something else....anything else!! horrors are great for shooting after deepstrike, daemonettes are underrated in a squad of about 18 and 16 Bloodletters is big enough to survive deepstriking and make someone have a bad day. But as this section is, you have some great objective campers but nothing more.

FAST ATTACK
If you dont want to use any daemonettes as troops, seekers are a great unit, a unit of ten is 170pts with 50 attacks on the charge, great for last minute removal of units from distant objectives due to their great range and a threat to all those juicy light vehicles in every mech army out there.

HEAVY SUPPORT
If you want to keep these, give at least one breath, and if you use epidemius as a herald, he makes a squad of PB tough, plus gives these guys their noxious touch after only ten kills, saving you some points. If you want three DP try three different set-ups designed specificallu for one thing, i.e. horde killing, opening light armour, killing elites and HQ's

Anyway just some thoughts and ideas for you to think about, would love to hear what you and others think of them as I'm still learning daemons myself.

·
Registered
592 Posts
So thinking of starting up daemons and here is my take on a list that should be competitive.Any CaC would be welcomed.

Hq

Elites
5 Fiends. 150pts
5 Fiends. 150pts
5 Fiends. 150pts

Troops
4 Nurglings. 52pts
5 Nurglings. 65pts

Heavy Support

Total 1740

So the basic plan for the nurglings is to allow a bigger starting wave if the 3 + comes up my favor and to tie up things like ironclads and other daemon princes and the like.Fiends for killing light armour or well any armour south of 14 all round also for munching hordes.Plaguebearers for non scatter and holding objectives.Heralds for vehicle killing and again holding stuff up.Princes for killing tanks and well everything:p.So what do you all think.
Drop the plaguebearers to minimum squadsize, and drop at least one nurgling unit for a third squad.

Keep the Heralds as is. Best HQ choice in my opinion, as Daemons sorely need to open up vehicles, and the Assault phase is the worst time to open them, that's when you want the grubbly bits inside.

Personally, I would go with a Bolt Tzeentch prince and perhaps add Iron Hide to it for more armor-popping rainbowy goodness.
Unless I am mistaken, cloud of flies is grenades at 5 points. Why don't you have that! :p Aura of Decay is also as good as completely useless, and could be better spent giving them Iron Hide if you find the points for it.

Otherwise, a pretty strong list!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st of all thanks for the cac guys.The thing i do not get about cloud of flies is it says you get no str bonus against vehicles now does that mean i get no extra dice for armour pen our would that just be using grenades on tanks themselves ?.I was actualy going to change the troops to 4 squads of 5 bears with icons after thinking about it at work today :p.Also D-A-C i come from a damn competitive area :p so i will try the face stomp list 1st and tailor down to a more fun build but thanks for the cac.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the reviewed list.

Hq
Herald of Tzeentch,Chariot,Bolt. 95pts

Elites
5 Fiends. 150pts
5 Fiends. 150pts
5 Fiends. 150pts

Troops
5 Plaguebearers, Icon. 100pts
6 Plaguebearers, Icon. 115pts

Heavy Support

Prince,Tzeentch,Wings,Bolt. 200pts

Total 1750

Could not fit in ironhide on the princes at this points level i might be able to after i see what works and trim tho :p.So let me know whatever you think.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also on actualt making this army i dont like the looks of the daemon stuff ill be getting bar the princes so i was thinking.Zombies on round bases a little converted for bearers.Seekers without riders and the saddle filed down for fiends because actual fiends are exspensive and but ugly lol.For the heralds i was thinking maybe some form of sorceror looking charecter in a khemri chariot perhaps.Any ideas guys.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know a guy that used the exact same idea for his Fiends.

I use the Chariots from the Tomb Kings range myself, and add tzeentchy stuff (flamers and various bitz) around them, being pulled by screamers.

Also, I would keep Wings off the prince. He doesn't need it if he's using bolt. He's there for the bolt, really :)

And as for the cloud of flies, it doesn't work against vehicles. It is there so that if you assault into cover, you strike at normal initiative. Otherwise, you do not do that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes wings are stupidly exspensive looking at it but i will still be aiming for MSU so hows this.

Hq
Herald,Bolt,Chariot. 95pts

Elites
5 Fiends 150pts
5 Fiends 150pts
5 Fiends 150pts

Troops
5 Bearers,Icon. 100pts
5 Bearers,Icon. 100pts
5 Bearers,Icon. 100pts
5 Bearers,Icon. 100pts
5 Horrors,Bolt. 95pts
5 Horrors,Bolt,Changeling. 100pts

Heavy Support
Prince,MoT,Bolt. 140pts
Prince,MoT,Bolt. 140pts
Prince,MoT,Bolt. 140pts

Total 1750pts

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
Righteo, takes off happy smiling slaanesh face and reveals the heartless competitive SOB I really am, who loves nothing more than hearing the screams of my enemies as I carve them........ok getting off topic a little. Lets critique this list because if you want honesty about competitiveness, this list is asking for so much trouble. P.S At this point I want to make it clear I'm being cruel to be kind I in no way intend to be rude. And for the record daemons looks awesome

HQ
The love affair between people and this build has to stop (not your fault BTW) Think about what these units are supposed to do, its firing one shot a go or gaze at BS4, keep one yes, three no. Choose something else, I can't choose for you in this slot as we have loads of good things. Skulltaker, GUO, KOS, LOC, Epidemius even (I cannot stress he is not needed in a mono-nurgle list he is helpful from 4 kills onwards a few PB squads, a few nurglings to tie up units and even two DP and he is well worth it)

ELITES
use X2 6 Fiends with unholy might, fine, great,
use a unit of 3-6 flamers for the remaining slot, great against hordes, tanks everything

TROOPS
What is this obsession with Bolt? I mean I'm not being rude but come on it's everywhere in this list. Anyway try this
10 Horrors, Changeling, (crowd control)
x2 5 horrors, Bolt
x2 7 PB drop the icons they dont help they are a waste of points, deepstrike sensibly you wont need them
a unit of 12 Bloodletters (powerweapon nasties)
Some nurglings, they are great, always deepstrike them aggressively two units of three bases maybe? Tie up units or make them shoot them wasting those shots

HEAVY SUPPORT
Too many options at this point to really give you ideas. Nurgle, Tzeentch and even slaanesh are good for DP. But your current setup is slow and one-dimensional x3 bolts, you dont need them. Keep one as a MOT with Bolt because of his great BS.

Anyway thats my advice its late and I'm still unsure how you will react so I didnt go into too much detail. Everyone is welcome to comment on my ideas, but especially the OP. Am I mad and full of bad advice or do you think I'm along the right lines for competitive play?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well 1st off D-A-C all cac is welcomed and i may very well go for a more varied list in the end but my area as im sure all are is mech heavy and daemons dont have that much tank popping, and no soulgrinders do not count as with only 3 armoured units in an army the entire enemy anti tank will waste them pretty damn quick.Like in my area a 10 man unit of horrors would be wasted there is not much of a crowd to control and fiends do that wonderfully.The heralds are not only a one shot unit they also have 5 eternal warrior wounds with a 4 ++ each thats a pain to kill, a dread could fight that for a whole game.Now my main army is guard so i built a list that uses my exp in that regard, so i built a list that scares shooting while still having enough teeth for close combat with some obj huggers.That will be my 1st version of a deamon list and as every competitive player knows there will be endless tweaking and changing so i will let you all know how i lean when my daemons exp builds.Thanks for the cac anymore would be happily accepted.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Your certainly getting there in terms of creating a competitive list. If I was running something similar to what you are posting I would be going for this:

Tz Herald: Bolt, Chariot, Master, Legion - 110
*** It pretty much obligatory to invest the extra 15pts for Legion and Master. Been able then to shoot both Bolt and Gaze and if necessary split fire between troops and tanks maximises the Heralds use and points.

6 Fiends: Might - 190
*** Don't beat around the bush. If you are going for triple Fiends, which is one of the 2 most effective Elites setups (the second been 2 units of Fiends one unit of Crushers) then go all out and max those units.

8 Horrors: Changeling - 175
*** Don't bother giving Bolt to Horrors, you are only B3 and are wasting the rest of the squads shooting if you target a tank. This is the only massed AP shooting available to Daemons, make use of it.

5 Plaguebearers - 75
5 Plaguebearers - 75
5 Plaguebearers - 75
*** as everyone has mentioned before you don't really need much more than the minimum squad sizes for PB's. 5-6 is fine.

Prince: MoT, Bolt & Gaze - 160
*** Again just like the Heralds give them Gaze, you can fire 2 weapons a turn as an MC so make use of it, so this gives you anti-tank and anti troop capabilities and maximises the Princes capabilities.

Total = 1748

Hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just to add a little on skuzzlebum, who makes perfect points:

Keep bolt on the Horrors. More bolts are always great. Not sure if you want a squad size of 8, though.

And if you buy both bolt&gaze on the princes, make sure you also have enough points to be able to buy splitfire ;)

The love affair between people and this build has to stop (not your fault BTW) Think about what these units are supposed to do, its firing one shot a go or gaze at BS4, keep one yes, three no. Choose something else, I can't choose for you in this slot as we have loads of good things. Skulltaker, GUO, KOS, LOC, Epidemius even (I cannot stress he is not needed in a mono-nurgle list he is helpful from 4 kills onwards a few PB squads, a few nurglings to tie up units and even two DP and he is well worth it)
You are a silly, silly man.

Too many options at this point to really give you ideas. Nurgle, Tzeentch and even slaanesh are good for DP. But your current setup is slow and one-dimensional x3 bolts, you dont need them.
That is just... stupid, really. Bolt is necessary to get to the grubbly bits inside the MEHTAL BAWXES, as it is so affectionately called.

·
Registered
966 Posts
We Are Legion is certainly good for splitting fire but the question is where are you going to get the points without compromising on something more essential in the list?

·
Registered
592 Posts
That's kind of the point. I don't find Gaze worth it, if you can't split it with bolt.

Especially seing as the Daemon Prince can hold his worth in Close Combat.

·
Registered
966 Posts
But when you are running Daemons it is always nice to have a little mutli-shot in the list for thinning down troops else you come unstuck at range if you are only running bolt.

Having more options always makes me happier at the end of the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.