Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm looking to start a Grey Knights army. It's in the works, I just bought 2 terminator squads as well as a grey knight squad.
Now my questions are...

1.) I was looking into the whole Coteaz and henchmen idea, and I think I may go that route. However Deathcult Assassins are pretty expensive, $16 for 2. But I noticed some people sometimes use other models in place of them. So I thought about buying some SW wolf claws and sticking them on regular grey knights in place of the deathcult models because I think it'd look awesome and save me a few bucks. The question is, can I do this and still legally play with them, or will people constantly give me shit for not having the "real" models?

2.) I see a lot of people using tanks a lot, but for some reason I just don't like them lol. I'd rather have more men, they look cooler, not to mention tanks aren't cheap, and they use up a lot of paint. And from the videos I've been watching on youtube they don't seem to do much. They don't kill much, are kind of expensive pointswise, and always just seem to die. However I do like the idea of using them as cover, and also if I use Deathcult assassins I fear it may be difficult getting them in close combat without dying before they get there because I don't think they can deep strike. So the question is, are tanks really a necessity, and if so which are the best?

Any tips or feedback anyone has would be nice, and I apologize if this has already been asked or if it is in the wrong category.

This is a list I'm working on, not sure about what upgrades and weapons to use so it kind of varies until I get a better feel for the game, but it goes something like:

HQ:
Coteaz
Elites:
10x Paladins
Troops:
two groups 5x Deathcult Assassins, 3x Crusaders, 2x Jakaero
Fast Attack:(only in higher point games)
2x Stormravens (I was only going to use one but they seem to be big targets and I thought it better to have two.)
Heavy Support:
2x Dreadnoughts with twin-linked auto cannons

Basically my thinking is have the paladins deep strike to the center of the board. Shoot and advance. With the henchmen groups I would just march them up allowing the crusaders in front to soak up any firepower until my deathcults get into range and using the jakearo for the bonuses and some added firepower. or stick them in the stormravens and bring them up. and the dreadnoughts i'd leave in the back or as far as possible and use them to blow up tanks and anything else my men on foot can't tackle.
So, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Alright so I'm looking to start a Grey Knights army. It's in the works, I just bought 2 terminator squads as well as a grey knight squad.
Now my questions are...

1.) I was looking into the whole Coteaz and henchmen idea, and I think I may go that route. However Deathcult Assassins are pretty expensive, $16 for 2. But I noticed some people sometimes use other models in place of them. So I thought about buying some SW wolf claws and sticking them on regular grey knights in place of the deathcult models because I think it'd look awesome and save me a few bucks. The question is, can I do this and still legally play with them, or will people constantly give me shit for not having the "real" models?

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to the grimdark future that is WH40k! Might I say, good choice on your first army. To answer this question: in a tournament setting each model must be composed of 75% Games Workshop product. This doesn't mean you have to use the exact model to represent a unit, however, you must follow what is called WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). This means that the model must be clearly equipped with what they have in the rules and your army list.

For the assassins, they only have a 5+ armor save and power armor grants a 3+, so I'd think in most tournaments you wouldn't be able to use your power armor grey knights as assassins. Though, I have seen some tournaments that allow you to use non-GW and "counts as" models. It all depends on the venue.

Also, at home, anything goes. As long as you don't have some douchey friends who refuse to play you unless you have the right models. Use whatever you want to.

2.) I see a lot of people using tanks a lot, but for some reason I just don't like them lol. I'd rather have more men, they look cooler, not to mention tanks aren't cheap, and they use up a lot of paint. And from the videos I've been watching on youtube they don't seem to do much. They don't kill much, are kind of expensive pointswise, and always just seem to die. However I do like the idea of using them as cover, and also if I use Deathcult assassins I fear it may be difficult getting them in close combat without dying before they get there because I don't think they can deep strike. So the question is, are tanks really a necessity, and if so which are the best?

You are in luck if you don't like tanks, because GKs are are one of the few, effective foot slogging marine chapters. Their two shots at 24" range help because in most games you can shoot into your enemy's deployment from turn one. If you maneuver them up the table right, you can keep a big group of them alive long enough to have almost complete table coverage.

Any tips or feedback anyone has would be nice, and I apologize if this has already been asked or if it is in the wrong category.

This is a list I'm working on, not sure about what upgrades and weapons to use so it kind of varies until I get a better feel for the game, but it goes something like:

HQ:
Coteaz
Elites:
10x Paladins
Troops:
two groups 5x Deathcult Assassins, 3x Crusaders, 2x Jakaero
Fast Attack:(only in higher point games)
2x Stormravens (I was only going to use one but they seem to be big targets and I thought it better to have two.)
Heavy Support:
2x Dreadnoughts with twin-linked auto cannons

Your choices all look pretty solid, except the henchmen groups. Drop Jokaero if you're going melee with assassins, or drop assassins and go shooty. Either way, a couple of crusaders for protection is never a bad idea.

Basically my thinking is have the paladins deep strike to the center of the board. Shoot and advance. With the henchmen groups I would just march them up allowing the crusaders in front to soak up any firepower until my deathcults get into range and using the jakearo for the bonuses and some added firepower. or stick them in the stormravens and bring them up. and the dreadnoughts i'd leave in the back or as far as possible and use them to blow up tanks and anything else my men on foot can't tackle.
So, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer, especially the bit about models and conversions and all that.

To change that list I think I would do two groups of 8x DCA and 2x Crusaders, and then two more groups of 8x warrior acolytes and 2x crusaders. That way I have a CC squad and a bunch of extra firepower, plus acolytes are dirt cheap. The crusaders would just act as meat shields essentially.

So it'd go something like this...

Have the DCA squads come in on one side moving forward into CC range with Crusaders. Deep strike the Paladins on the other side, shoot until in CC range. This way the opponent is forced to separate his army. Then the Warrior Acolytes can just shoot away giving assistance to either the Paladins or the DCAs or both. Then I still have the Dreads for the heavy stuff.

I think that is a more solid tactic than the one I had before after tweaking the henchmen groups like you advised.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would even consider using a Jokaero with three Heavy Bolter Servitors, then add Warriors with any left over points. The nine shots at 36" range which you could roll +1 strength or rending for is awesome. Stick these guys behind an Aegis Defense Line and they'll stay around long enough to do some serious damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hiya ! With a little bit of clipping etc Dark Eldar Wyches make great DCA's, 10 plastic models per box.
CMON have a super little monkey guy with a flamer, smaller than GW Jokero but cheaper AND metal !
Acolytes in general I use either Space Marine scouts or Imperial Guard vets. SM scouts are probably a bit better due to the weapon change options in the box.
Looking at your list, nowhere near enough bodies. People are just going to avoid your Pallies and annihilate your troop choices. Up to you but if Termies are your thing personally I would make them ordinary Termies and thus troop choices, leaving you plenty of points left over. Also Jokaero work best mixed in with a 'shooty' unit, IMO they are a bit wasted talent wise in your set up.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Since your just starting out, I think it's perfectly fine that you dont want to use tanks. But please dont discount them completely! A Rhinno/Razorback can be really good to get your troops up field to a valuable position quicker. And since your going with the Henchmen, a Chimera is a great choice. The Henchmen inside can fire out! Rhinno's/Razorbacks are only about $30 US, so are not that expensive compared to other vehicles such as a Land Raider or Storm Raven. Right now since your starting out, I'd say go with the plan you have for the units that you want, but keep an eye on Craigslist and Ebay for some good deals on a vehicles. I once bought two Land Raiders off of Ebay for $40 US (including shipping). At the time, I really didnt have a need for them so I turned it around and sold them. But great deals can be had and can save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good idea. I wasn't aware that they could shoot while inside the tank, would be great for the warrior acolyte squads. But yea I've been buying all my stuff from ebay so far, GW wants $50 for terminators I bought mine on ebay for $35. Not a huge discount, but earlier I did the math for all the units I want and I'm already at $600 lol. I'm just going to buy it little by little.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How do you feel about air cratf? Such as the stormraven?
If you have the 6th edition rule book, read about flyers under vehicles. You can do some pretty neat things with them. They also work well with Death Cult assassins as the stormraven has an assault ramp.

A tactic i like to use in my list with 3 stormravens is have an inquisitor with psykic communion power start on the board and the ravens start in reserve. Cast the power in my turn 2 as have all 3 ravens enter on a 2+. You can go over kill with this and take an aegis defense line (building from the rule book) with a comms rely which lets you re-roll failed reserve rolls.

Also works with a grand master with orbital strike if you want to pay the points.

Then fly your ravens into position and in turn 2-3 assault your death cult assassins into your enemy's lines without giving him much chance to react.

Grey knights have lots of tricks up their sleeves

1 - 8 of 8 Posts